SPD single vs. multi release cleats

THATmanMANNY

Gonna give my shimano XTR spds a try.
Always rode crank bros :rolleyes:

Should I use SH-51 (single) or SH-56 (multi) cleats?
Reviews?

Thanks
Manny

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Gonna give my shimano XTR spds a try.
Always rode crank bros :rolleyes:

Should I use SH-51 (single) or SH-56 (multi) cleats?
Reviews?

Thanks
Manny

If you are a grandmother or a first time mtber you should use a sh-56. Otherwise a Sh-51. You will pop out of the Sh-56's when you bunnyhop.

Enjoy.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Mistake. Crank Bros are much better than SPDs. SPDs blow goats.

uhh.. have you tried both??

The loose disconnected feel of crank bros as compared to the solid connected feel of Shimano pedals is reason enough to reconsider that...

Most people who have had bad luck with SPD's were either using knock-off versions or the wrong cleat / pedal combo.. IMHO.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used SPDs for a very long time. I never had any trouble with them.

This year I put Crank Brothers on my mtb, just because we had them as a sponsor and I wanted to try a nice light pedal. I never had any trouble with them.

This winter I bought winter shoes and put SPDs on all my bikes, because I have enough pedals to put SPDs on all the bikes I ride and I want to use the winter shoes on anything I ride right now. The first thing I noticed was that it was easier to clip in than the CB pedals. I also note that I'm not unclipping by accident at all anymore.

At this point I'm pretty sure the SPDs don't "blow goats".

THATmanMANNY

I've had the SPDs for nearly 8 months now and they came with bike so I'm just gonna give them a try and say that I have and see which side I will take :D

I love the CB egg beaters. Light, easy-in, easy-out, good pull. After a few rides the cleat gets worn and everything becomes a little easier. Good for mud. No maintenance or tension bolts to mess around with. Just clip in and ride. The only downside is the lateral movement allowed when clipped in but that is good float for my knees. I've never had any issues becomeing unclipped unless if it was a really bumpy downhill but that's only happened a couple times this year.

I may try the CB candys next cause it has small platform

Last edited:

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
This is not necessarily a good thing.

It can be.

SPD vs. CB is a personal preference thing. If you like the ease of entry, mud shedding, and float, and don't mind the fast-wearing cleats, go for CB. If you like the solid connection to the pedal, the ability to adjust release tension, and thicker bulletproof cleats, then go SPD.

The hardest thing to do is go back and forth, or switch once you're used to one, because they're completely different philosophies towards pedals.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The hardest thing to do is go back and forth, or switch once you're used to one, because they're completely different philosophies towards pedals.

I really have no issue with this at all. In general, I don't think much about my bikes though. Graveyardman67 and I were talking about this last weekend. When someone asks either of us a question about the bike, the answer is usually "I dunno." I just get on and go until something breaks, for the most part. I have no idea what my fork settings are, and what they really so. When I ride over stuff the fork goes up-down-up-down.

Anyway, I think a lot of this is more in people's heads than anything.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
uhh.. have you tried both??

The loose disconnected feel of crank bros as compared to the solid connected feel of Shimano pedals is reason enough to reconsider that...

Most people who have had bad luck with SPD's were either using knock-off versions or the wrong cleat / pedal combo.. IMHO.

Yes. I have never had a problem with the CBs. Only time they have released on me is when I hit the pedal going over a rock or log.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got the multi release cleats for my first set and I liked them. I have found it impossible to get stuck in my pedals with them and fall over. However, like Jdog said, I cant bunny hop with them. Even with them set as tight as they will go, if I try bunny hopping, I often pop out. I have been meaning to switch back to the regular cleats, but I just keep forgetting. Good for a beginner, but eventually they get annoying as you get used to being clipped in.

mwlikesbikes

my 2 centavos

I've never had an issue with SH-51 cleats. I've never even tried the multi release. Sunday at hartshorrne riding in the snowy mud I had no problems with the XT pedals. When I stepped down the cleats filled up with ice & mud, one stomp on the pedal and I was clipped in again no problem.

Top Bottom