Have any Audio Geeks cut the cable?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Been trying Youtube TV. Can't get the regular broadcast stations (2,4,7) to play through my center channel. The signal reverts to "stereo" even though I know it worked perfectly with cable. If I watch a Showtime program thru Youtube it picks up the Dolby Digital signal no problem.

Captain Brainstorm

Been trying Youtube TV. Can't get the regular broadcast stations (2,4,7) to play through my center channel. The signal reverts to "stereo" even though I know it worked perfectly with cable. If I watch a Showtime program thru Youtube it picks up the Dolby Digital signal no problem.
What kind of TV and receiver are you using? Are you connected through eARK/ARK, HDMI, component, etc.? I just got a new OLED and had some issues with making it play nice with the receiver/cable-box. Took some fiddling around. Friend of mine had similar issues that we just fixed also.

Edit: If you have a receiver that upscales, you may need to enable that feature to work through that particular input, since the premium apps already stream with Dolby already coded in.

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
What kind of TV and receiver are you using? Are you connected through eARK/ARK, HDMI, component, etc.? I just got a new OLED and had some issues with making it play nice with the receiver/cable-box. Took some fiddling around. Friend of mine had similar issues that we just fixed also.

Edit: If you have a receiver that upscales, you may need to enable that feature to work through that particular input, since the premium apps already stream with Dolby already coded in.
It's going into a Marantz thru an HDMI and should detect the proper signal when set on Auto. It picks it up on some channels, but not the local channels, which always worked on Cable. Will play over the weekend.

Now the biggest issue is trying to explain all this to my wife so she can find are crappy programs.

Captain Brainstorm

It's going into a Marantz thru an HDMI and should detect the proper signal when set on Auto. It picks it up on some channels, but not the local channels, which always worked on Cable. Will play over the weekend.

Now the biggest issue is trying to explain all this to my wife so she can find are crappy programs.
If the TV/Receiver are newer and have eARK/ARK, make sure that's input you're using. Most receivers also have a speaker setup menu, you just may need to assign the correct configuration to the input.

ebarker9

I use YouTube tv but rarely watch any of those channels. Just did a quick test and got center channel audio on TMZ and General Hospital but not Ellen or Dr Phil. How in the hell people watch this stuff I have no idea.

As an aside, is it worth upgrading to a newer receiver that supports ARC/EARC with a 5.1 (to be fair, I don't have a dedicated sub) setup? I'm currently having to use the optical out to my older Onkyo receiver. It all sounds good to me but there's always that sense of "I'm missing out on a thing that's better!".

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
I use YouTube tv but rarely watch any of those channels. Just did a quick test and got center channel audio on TMZ and General Hospital but not Ellen or Dr Phil. How in the hell people watch this stuff I have no idea.

As an aside, is it worth upgrading to a newer receiver that supports ARC/EARC with a 5.1 (to be fair, I don't have a dedicated sub) setup? I'm currently having to use the optical out to my older Onkyo receiver. It all sounds good to me but there's always that sense of "I'm missing out on a thing that's better!".
Better car, better bike, better skis, better audio, there is always something better out there. I used to be real into high end audio. My dad was an audiophile and taught me well. But once my son was born, equipment suddenly had to be easy for the family and I never got to just listen. Now he's out and my wife WFH, so it's got to be easy for her and I still don't get to just listen.

Captain Brainstorm

Yes, worth the upgrade, if you have a newer TV that has eARK/ARK. Its better from a cable management perspective, eARK/ARK allow audio and video data to go back and forth between your TV and receiver, instead of just one way. You connect your TV to the receiver with only one cable (via eARK/ARK), then all accessories (Blu-ray, cable, etc.) to your receiver and use your receiver to switch inputs. Play apps from your TV, or something from one of the accessories and it all goes through the receiver. Additionally, eARK has way more bandwidth and allows you to get the most out of all the advanced sound processing (like Atmos, etc.) vs. optical.

Having said all that, I'm no expert. I've gone from zero to just enough knowledge to be dangerous in 2 months here. I revamped my man-cave and fell ass-backwards into a high-end receiver (didn't know it was high-end at the time) from an audiophile friend of mine. Learned it was "high-end and complicated" when I got my new TV and had to hook the thing up on my own. Took me 3 days to get the thing working on my 5.1 (had to go into sub-menus and erase all the previous owners settings), and went down the rabbit-hole of home theater. Next step will be to upgrade my speakers.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Having said all that, I'm no expert.

ARK stands for audio return channel, so yeah, we know you're not an expert 😜

I upgraded my old Samsung DLP TV to an LG OLED in the summer of 2020 and finally added a sound system too. I always just used the built in TV speakers, and man, I had no idea what I was missing. I'm obviously not an audiophile at all either, but I have a sonos surround system and to me it's wildly amazing.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Youtube tv built into the tv?

Check that all the firmware is updated - and the apps are updated, and the firmware in the receiver.

the behaviour of my system changes every time there is an update.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
Youtube tv built into the tv?

Check that all the firmware is updated - and the apps are updated, and the firmware in the receiver.

the behaviour of my system changes every time there is an update.
Using a Roku into receiver, not the TV. Everything is up to date except my receiver.

This receiver, SR7005, is no longer being supported by Marantz. There is an update available but I'm fearful it will wipe my settings which took FOREVER to setup. So I will ignore that update until this thing dies.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Using a Roku into receiver, not the TV. Everything is up to date except my receiver.

This receiver, SR7005, is no longer being supported by Marantz. There is an update available but I'm fearful it will wipe my settings which took FOREVER to setup. So I will ignore that update until this thing dies.

look in the update notes and see if it says anything about CODECs

probably isn't the cable since other stuff works.

all these moving standards. they might stop supporting if there isn't enough processing power to handle the latest decoding ??

Captain Brainstorm

ARK stands for audio return channel, so yeah, we know you're not an expert 😜

I upgraded my old Samsung DLP TV to an LG OLED in the summer of 2020 and finally added a sound system too. I always just used the built in TV speakers, and man, I had no idea what I was missing. I'm obviously not an audiophile at all either, but I have a sonos surround system and to me it's wildly amazing.
And the e stands for “enhanced”. How amazing is the picture on that OLED? I got the C1 series in 77” and the picture is spectacular. I adjusted it to my liking in cinema mode and it’s better than any TV I’ve ever seen.

Using the external streaming device is the better way to do it, they usually come with faster chips than what’s in the TV.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How amazing is the picture on that OLED? I got the C1 series in 77” and the picture is spectacular.

I have the 65" C9 OLED and the picture really is incredible.

Can confirm. We have the CX 65 and it's amazing.

Using the external streaming device is the better way to do it, they usually come with faster chips than what’s in the TV.

I use the TV apps and haven't had any problems, but every setup is different.

rlb

Get a free trial on another service and see if its YT. Maybe it's just not handling the non-5.1 content correctly. Or maybe it's the roku, check the settings.

Mathers

I believe YT TV might juts broadcast Those channels In stereo.
In the past they weren’t even passing Dolby. Find another streaming provider FuboTV , Directv stream, Hulu are better in My experience.

Top Bottom