Things that make you frown :(

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Soffit vents are in the front, accidentally (or maybe not), I replaced the the soffit boards and extended the venting on the right of the house, then decided to do the left at a later time. The dripping is on the left. Maybe related?

Only 7 light fixtures between the dining room and the soffit, definitely not sealed at all. Some insulation on top of the t&g boards of the ceiling, lots of knots in the wood and gaps so that's where the hot air get through, no doubt. As of now the plan is to install one of those attic ladders and use the attic as additional storage (desperately needed). Possibly install a vapor barrier and install proper insulation. Maybe bring a couple of outlets and alight fixture. I will have to get my first building permit then.

If I had money for a new house fire would definitely be the option I would go for, this house has been so much more trouble than what I envisioned when I was trying to convince my wife not to buy it. Location is great though.

T&G with no sealed vapor barrier is def a source of warm air.

Soffit vent on the "unimproved" side might be the problem. perhaps even blocked?
Good place to start before cutting into the gables.

how do you "see" up there now to spot the condensation? it would be on the nails before the wood.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes. Absolutely miserable from an end user perspective. Spills constantly...haven't had a Costco membership for few years and I don't miss that damn container one bit.
When I was in the middle east milk came in plastic bags as it was less material.

Basically imagine getting your milk in a bag similar to a hydration pack reservoir. When we were all confused the locals were like "Well how does YOUR milk get packaged??" and had to explain cartons.

w_b

Most competent roofers won’t even do the job without a putting in a ridge vent just for this reason.

serviceguy

T&G with no sealed vapor barrier is def a source of warm air.

Soffit vent on the "unimproved" side might be the problem. perhaps even blocked?
Good place to start before cutting into the gables.

how do you "see" up there now to spot the condensation? it would be on the nails before the wood.
I'm going to remove one light fixture and stick my camcorder up there, same as when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to capture on camera the source of the roof leak (this one for real, it was like having a little indoor waterfall during Ida) on the right side of the same ceiling.

One of the many projects I'm trying to revving up for is the replacement of the t&g boards on the ceiling with sheetrock...

Fat Trout

Thought I'd do a good thing and replace the 2 out of 3 burned out bulbs in the laundry room ceiling light. Wasn't sure how to get the glass off. I put it up a few years ago, it has CFL's in it and they lasted a while so....I forgot how the glass comes off. Looks kind of like what I pasted below. It has to twist...but wouldn't twist. Finally twist it but twisted the whole base.....off of the screws to the outlet box. So now its hanging there from the ground wire. I get my wife in there on a separate ladder. she holds the base and I twist the glass...still wouldn't budge. So I unwire it and take it to my took bench and start prying at it. Still won't twist. I pry some more and break the glass. Sure....now its easy....it twisted with ease and yeah the stupid design was to twist the glass. So "intent" of changing 2 bulbs turned into buy and install a new ceiling fixture. Easy enough but unnecessary. lol.

1642128065529.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thought I'd do a good thing and replace the 2 out of 3 burned out bulbs in the laundry room ceiling light. Wasn't sure how to get the glass off. I put it up a few years ago, it has CFL's in it and they lasted a while so....I forgot how the glass comes off. Looks kind of like what I pasted below. It has to twist...but wouldn't twist. Finally twist it but twisted the whole base.....off of the screws to the outlet box. So now its hanging there from the ground wire. I get my wife in there on a separate ladder. she holds the base and I twist the glass...still wouldn't budge. So I unwire it and take it to my took bench and start prying at it. Still won't twist. I pry some more and break the glass. Sure....now its easy....it twisted with ease and yeah the stupid design was to twist the glass. So "intent" of changing 2 bulbs turned into buy and install a new ceiling fixture. Easy enough but unnecessary. lol.

View attachment 176057

i think they design that feature in to sell more fixtures.

Fat Trout

Applied for a permit to wall off our garage so we no longer have flooding concern after Ida put a foot into our basement as the town won't address the cause of the river that our street turns into.

Spoke with the office about what's required about 5x, got the plans from an architect ($$$$) submitted today and they think I need the entire project in proposals, soil moving an all. I am absolutely livid. They didn't say a word about this prior to today.

My contractor said most towns don't even require a permit for the scope of work we're doing. Small government gonna small government I guess.
If you want to see my wife go ballistic ask her about our town and the 14x20 shed we put in. I loved when she would say "they" need to talk to each other and get their shit straight. I told her from the beginning....your dealing with a bunch of people who only address things in their silo and won't look into someone else's. I won't say bad things as not all town gov't folks are bad but dang....I hated to be right.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

View attachment 176057
I did this shuffle not too long ago with a ceiling fan, reaching out above a glass top coffee table to up the degree of difficulty and risk.
Thankfully I didn’t end up with a full removal...

iman29

View attachment 176057
Been there done that a while back.

The difference was simply that I got the glass off with the little cap at the bottom (Different design that yours ) and then proceeded to drop the glass on the floor.

Somehow Lowes still sold the fixture so I had to buy one and just replace the glass.

iman29

I think the start of this thread was about Jury Duty. Well today i have State Grand Jury Duty but its virtual. If we didnt have virtual it would have been canceled with the snow and icy roads today.

This should be interesting to see who forgets to mute their mic or block the camera when they think they already did. Actually this may turn into a smile depending on how entertaining this becomes.

w_b

I think the start of this thread was about Jury Duty. Well today i have State Grand Jury Duty but its virtual. If we didnt have virtual it would have been canceled with the snow and icy roads today.

This should be interesting to see who forgets to mute their mic or block the camera when they think they already did. Actually this may turn into a smile depending on how entertaining this becomes.
Not much chance of any state mandated anything turning into a smile.

Top Bottom