21-22 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpTron

Going for the second and third time ever tomorrow and Saturday. First time was a disaster but that was a freak 70 degree day in Feb 10 years ago. This time with two 8 year olds though. I'm excited but nervous.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I think Tuesday will be the best day.
Agree. Wife and I are planning a day trip to PA on Tues. We have shied away from holidays and weekends for a few years now, but what do you all think…is the Tuesday after MLK usually busy? (eg do folks with kids have some part of that week off?). My kids are grown now so I can’t recall.

roc

That's what I was hoping. But we'll see how the storm plays out. I won't decide till the last minute. It's not hard to find a place to stay on a Monday night.
No doubt. the Place I got was 4 times more expensive on Sunday night as opposed to Monday night.
Agree. Wife and I are planning a day trip to PA on Tues. We have shied away from holidays and weekends for a few years now, but what do you all think…is the Tuesday after MLK usually busy? (eg do folks with kids have some part of that week off?). My kids are grown now so I can’t recall

I think you'll be fine, if they do get snow, I would expect the usual uptick in people looking for soft snow. My kids only have Monday off. This is the first time I've skied anywhere near a holiday in a long time. I think the snow could send quite a few people home early up in Vermont, or at least I'm hoping.

kearneyb

Good deal, i've been there once in the summer.
How has it been since Vail came to town? Positive or negative?
I need to be a little careful as i enjoy an epic dependent pass. Okemo has maintained the same GM and had retained most of their department heads until this past year. I believe now only patrol and ski school have the same department heads from the Mueller's ownership. Biggest issue I see is the oversale of passes and number of people on the hill and around the resort. While the terrain has expanded over the years, there hasn't been much done with uphill capacity or lodge facilities to deal with the increase in crowds. The double fixed grips quads from the base are from the mid 80s. For this season, Vail has changed a detachable quad to a six pack and a fixed grip triple to a detachable quad. Hard to tell if that has made a difference because they only have 50% of terrain open. Okemo base lodge was built in the 60s and last expanded in the 80s. Jackson Gore base was built in 2000s and was not able to be built out as originally planned. Would love to the see the numbers today compared to historic numbers.

Okemo went from being family owned to corporate owned and centralized most of their support services. The model is to sell epic passes. There are more people at Okemo then before and Okemo doesn't have the facilities (lodges, ticket windows, rentals, etc) for busy weekends or holidays. I know Sunapee is the same and while I haven't been to Mt. Snow in a long time, I would assume similar with the added perk of having to pay to park in the good lots. Vail has tried to normalize operations across resorts, but haven't been able to figure out how to operate places that caters to day trippers and/or weekenders as opposed to their destination resorts out West. Not sure if they can or will figure it out, but they aren't there yet.

roc

Anybody want to plan a ski/MTB trip in late march early april? Ski for few days, drive to Moab and do some riding?

Get a house in Salt Lake?

Campground in Moab?

The last week in March and first 2 weeks of April is usually amazing skiing in the wasatch.

I was going to get a couple of buddies together.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I need to be a little careful as i enjoy an epic dependent pass. Okemo has maintained the same GM and had retained most of their department heads until this past year. I believe now only patrol and ski school have the same department heads from the Mueller's ownership. Biggest issue I see is the oversale of passes and number of people on the hill and around the resort. While the terrain has expanded over the years, there hasn't been much done with uphill capacity or lodge facilities to deal with the increase in crowds. The double fixed grips quads from the base are from the mid 80s. For this season, Vail has changed a detachable quad to a six pack and a fixed grip triple to a detachable quad. Hard to tell if that has made a difference because they only have 50% of terrain open. Okemo base lodge was built in the 60s and last expanded in the 80s. Jackson Gore base was built in 2000s and was not able to be built out as originally planned. Would love to the see the numbers today compared to historic numbers.

Okemo went from being family owned to corporate owned and centralized most of their support services. The model is to sell epic passes. There are more people at Okemo then before and Okemo doesn't have the facilities (lodges, ticket windows, rentals, etc) for busy weekends or holidays. I know Sunapee is the same and while I haven't been to Mt. Snow in a long time, I would assume similar with the added perk of having to pay to park in the good lots. Vail has tried to normalize operations across resorts, but haven't been able to figure out how to operate places that caters to day trippers and/or weekenders as opposed to their destination resorts out West. Not sure if they can or will figure it out, but they aren't there yet.
Times are a changin. Vail only cares about shareholders. The skier's experience is no longer a concern as long as they can keep selling cheap passes and keep the costs down. Less snowmaking, reduced hours and long lift lines don't seem to matter to management. Sucks for skiers who are tied to one mountain.

Reactions: don

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Anybody want to plan a ski/MTB trip in late march early april? Ski for few days, drive to Moab and do some riding?

Get a house in Salt Lake?

Campground in Moab?

The last week in March and first 2 weeks of April is usually amazing skiing in the wasatch.

I was going to get a couple of buddies together.
Would love to but wife and I are headed to Whistler in early Feb so that’s my shot for out west this year. However I’d be up for a trip up to VT in March if the spring season is good.

roc

Would love to but wife and I are headed to Whistler in early Feb so that’s my shot for out west this year. However I’d be up for a trip up to VT in March if the spring season is good.
Have a great time! I haven’t been there since Feb 2006, and I still remember how nice it was.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Got in a few hours at Blue Mt with my newbie kid yesterday. I think this is his 3rd time snowboarding, and he made the step-up to the blue trails.
Still gets in the back seat too early, but is getting more patient waiting for the board. Good progress.

Conditions were PA east coast excellent.

I purchased my boots a long time ago. Maybe 2009? Got them from a shop in CO - they are Thirtytwo TM-TWO -
seemed like a good idea - they size the shell, then the liner - which is heated and molded, then the footbed is spec'd to your arch.
They alway had a hot spot, left foot, middle toe - after a few hours of pushing. It has gotten worse (i'm sure my feet have gotten wider) - so I pulled the trigger on
some K2 Maysis Wides from REI when I got home. Nice two BOA boot with a moldable inner system. Ugly! but who sees a snowboard boot!

Say goodbye to the old. Now to get a new deck!
Forgot I lent the board out and need to reset the bindings.
Looked down when I strapped-in, and figured i'd be working on riding switch all day, so NBD.

1642603176552.png

I blew up two pairs of my old burton step-in boots over the last two years. Going to have to retire those bindings.
They were great for east coast no-snow conditions. Get off lift, step-in and go. Always a bonus when riding with skiers.

Last edited:

don

A little late but got some good skiing in Telluride over the new year.

Not sure if this clip will work but my youngest dropping into the woods - for us snowboarders practially each heal turn was a whiteroom that day.

Sequence is of my oldest hitting a small natural skip/drop by the bottom of the Prospect Bowl lift.

Attachments

• IMG_4659.jpeg
    IMG_4659.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4660.jpeg
    IMG_4660.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 15

don

A couple more screen shots. 2nd pic is right after they opened the ropes on a run on Prospect and we were one of the first groups down. I followed my youngest's line and then cut left for thigh deep uncut for a good six fall line turns.

Last 2 - we were coming down one line and there was a ridge with exposure even though there was plenty of snow. The boys got caught on the edge but said it looked fine underneath. I said fuck it and dropped/carved in keeping it light on the turn to not go deep. Then got a good vid of the 2 of them coming down (screen shot from the vid is the last pic)

Attachments

• IMG_4856.PNG
    IMG_4856.PNG
    321.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4633.JPEG
    IMG_4633.JPEG
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4857.jpeg
    IMG_4857.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
I blew up two pairs of my old burton step-in boots over the last two years. Going to have to retire those bindings.
They were great for east coast no-snow conditions. Get off lift, step-in and go. Always a bonus when riding with skiers.
Speaking of step in and go…maybe I can get you over to the dark side…? 🤙 The force is strong with these..😉
3ED89D74-29F9-41D9-AC7F-7C5B92CD2E4C.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Speaking of step in and go…maybe I can get you over to the dark side…? 🤙 The force is strong with these..😉
View attachment 176561

i took my first "camp" from a guy on a carving board, and rode with all skiers for years. Ran high positive angles with soft boots.
Getting up the stairs to the apre ski first - meant always buying the initial round! :D

Think i'd rather go monoski. ;)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We hit Tremblant for the 3 day weekend and ended up with about 12 hours of moving time across the weekend. Saturday was brutally cold (high of -7 F I think) but we survived. Sunday conditions were great. Monday they got a dump truck load of snow. We said fuck it and stayed until 3, then drove all the way home so the kids could get to school Tuesday. Home at 1:30 am. Good start to the season for us.

30B329ED-92F6-4CEE-AD4C-D7F831995C6F.jpeg7B175E9B-C952-49AB-96A7-AFB771ED0022.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom