BIYF - 2021/2022 - No Frills

goodvibe

1/11/22

I knew that Jordan had posted Monday on Strava that the Somo trails (closest comparable) were icy, but I figured I would give the local trails a try Tuesday. Error. Got to the ST on the north facing side of the ridge and the trail was all ice. Spent the second quarter mile doing knee wrenching spinouts. On the way back west on the road, jumped into some south facing ST, which was fine, but as soon as I got to shaded ST, it was all ice. Turned around and hit a town park for a half mile on the way back. Stupid.

It was chilly in the wind, doe. Assos Airjack, PI Amfib bibs, full face helmet with goggles, a balaclava and gaiter underneath, Dakine single finger mitts with chem warmers, Wolvhammers.

View attachment 175898
You need studded tires. I rode there today and had no issues at all. They take the nastiest and most treacherous of ice and makes it rideable.

w_b

1/12

Got out late. On my a$$ on some ice. We good. Other than that, much warmer today.

9C1D768B-D461-4826-9539-3A2721B722A0.png

bigW

Wednesday 1/12

Hmmm.. Editing a post with no text seems unfriendly, not motivated to figure it out.

Wore a HRM today just to see if that gives a hint why winter rides seem to be 10-15% slower.

In conclusive Avg HR is a low 120 but not crazy low. Did hit 162 trying to catch mystery rider going up the Bayonne Bridge tonight. Old school road bike, 23c tires, flat pedals, loafers and corduroy pants ( scarf under helmet ). Did not reel him in but he did not pull away either.

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

Wednesday 1/12

Hmmm.. Editing a post with no text seems unfriendly, not motivated to figure it out.

Wore a HRM today just to see if that gives a hint why winter rides seem to be 10-15% slower.

In conclusive Avg HR is a low 120 but not crazy low. Did hit 162 trying to catch mystery rider going up the Bayonne Bridge tonight. Old school road bike, 23c tires, flat pedals, loafers and corduroy pants ( scarf under helmet ). Did not reel him in but he did not pull away either.
I write everything then insert the photo accordingly. Not sure if that is what you were trying to do?

iman29

1/13/2022

My first ride outdoors since Dec 26th which was the day before I go sick. I was 50/50 if I wanted to try riding outside but the "warmer" temps and no wind helped make the decision easier. Also the next 2-3 weeks of weather look like absolute crap so many kudos to everyone riding in that cold. Normally I might at least try to ride in the real cold but given the impact on my breathing right now I don't want to take any chances.

I was too lazy to take the road bike off the trainer, so I rode the gravel bike on the roads because the West Morris Greenway and Columbia trail are all ice/snow covered. Wasnt that bad actually and after the first 10-15 minutes I felt like I got into a decent rhythm and my breathing wasnt too bad until I had to stop and cough.

1642103229663.png

1642103254885.png

1642103315481.png

The Kalmyk

1/13/2022

My first ride outdoors since Dec 26th which was the day before I go sick. I was 50/50 if I wanted to try riding outside but the "warmer" temps and no wind helped make the decision easier. Also the next 2-3 weeks of weather look like absolute crap so many kudos to everyone riding in that cold. Normally I might at least try to ride in the real cold but given the impact on my breathing right now I don't want to take any chances.

I was too lazy to take the road bike off the trainer, so I rode the gravel bike on the roads because the West Morris Greenway and Columbia trail are all ice/snow covered. Wasnt that bad actually and after the first 10-15 minutes I felt like I got into a decent rhythm and my breathing wasnt too bad until I had to stop and cough.

View attachment 176017

View attachment 176018

View attachment 176019
Welcome back

Top Bottom