Augusta Cross Results ...

mfennell

I never thought I would be stoked to see 14th place.
16th. 22s behind you. I have a goal. :D

That damn Army kid put 13 seconds into me from the run up (where I was just ahead of him) to the finish line. I suck.

BTW, the guy who came in second in our race appears to be a cat 2 roadie, which is basically semi-pro. There were a few cat 3s sprinkled in there too. Cat 3 could be considered expert mtb I guess.

CrossAddict

Sprinkles

Here is the Deal.

There are many different types of Cycling
-Road
-Mountain <-- us
-cyclocross
-track

I love to ride and have tried them all, but here is the senerio. I race expert and have done some road racing and the like. When I started to race on the road I was much stronger than the Cat 4-5 men. I won my first race on a solo break in a 4-5 field. I needed to get used to road racing before I could upgrade though. I can't just walk in to a Cat 2-3 race just since I'm an expert MTBer. I needed to figure things out and learn to ride in the pack. The same goes for track racing. I'm a Cat 5, but I'm sure if I went over to trexlertown and practiced I would mop up the lower classes, but they certainly can't throw me into the Cat 2-3 races having never raced on the track just because i'm an expert MTBer. thus everyones delema, is why someone that is a Cat 2 or 3 on the road or expert MTBer is racing C's or B's for the matter. For some it is their first race or first few races. I won the Masters race at Sussex, but at the bigger races I'm just outside the top ten. The fact is that the sussex race is a small race where locals give cross a try or some get a chance to win. If you think that just because you are a sport/expert racer that you should be able to win C's then you are mistaken. Cross has become very popular over the last three years, and the competition is grown as well. I used to place top 5 in the MAC races in B but now I'm stronger and I place lower down the results. (oh well that's racing) I'll have to train harder if I want better results.

Anyway back at sussex CX...
The c race was slower than the B race by about 20 seconds a lap, and the A race well you can guess when there are actual professionals in the field. (alot faster) Which means that the classes fell timewise where they should have. Just my thoughts.

-RF

BiknBen

mfennell said:
BTW, the guy who came in second in our race appears to be a cat 2 roadie, which is basically semi-pro. There were a few cat 3s sprinkled in there too. Cat 3 could be considered expert mtb I guess.

I am familiar with that Cat2 that you referred to. I'm not friendly with him but have been smoked by him on the road since he began racing. He is new to CX. He is starting at the bottom rung the same way everyone else should.

There is no correlation between Road, MTB, and CX. You are not comparing apples to apples. Making assumptions based on a racer's experience in another discipline is simply wrong. It is unfair to that racer and damaging to the sport.

IMO, everyone should be hoping to have fun and do well relative to their own ability. At the end of the race, you know how well you did regardless of your finish position. We currently have three threads on MTBNJ where people are complaining about others not racing in the correct category. The whole group sounds very childish.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
:cry: WAAAAAA!

I am having fun no matter who sandbags or not.

The race I do most often is just one class (Fast,Slow, men, women and an occasional goat) and everyone is drinking. Somehow there is no squabble about grouping or sandbagging.. Go figure.

mfennell

I am familiar with that Cat2 that you referred to. I'm not friendly with him but have been smoked by him on the road since he began racing. He is new to CX. He is starting at the bottom rung the same way everyone else should.

There is no correlation between Road, MTB, and CX. You are not comparing apples to apples. Making assumptions based on a racer's experience in another discipline is simply wrong. It is unfair to that racer and damaging to the sport.
I think you're reading too much into my comments. I'm simply reporting data.

I agree with you but I wanted to put "Cat 2" into context for the mtb racers.

EDIT: I see your point. I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

Last edited:

cyclocrossfool

cx classes

in belguim you have classes/races for: kids, juniors, pro's, woman,masters(30/40/50) and amateur which is everybody else. that means if your a 18 year old doing your first race you get to go against a guy who last year was doing 'pro' and this year hasnt got a pro contract so hes doing amateur along w/ you. not very fair. chances are you would do the one race/ get totally embarrased and never race again. not a good system for bringing newcomers to the sport. my point is ; our/usa cycling's system for classes is best. sure the'll be a few so called sandbaggers. but who cares? dont let that stop you from racing and having a good time.

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

CNY CX Races

In upstate NY we have a CNY series with only Open Men, Woman and Masters 40+.
The Open races are 1 hour and everyone races regardless of your category. I do not think it is the best system and I prefer how the races are set up in NJ (Sussex) and in the nycross.com series. nycross.com has the 1/2/3 race (1hour) and the 3/4 race for 45 minutes and then a 4/citizens race which is typically early and a true beginner race.
With the Open it breaks into small races within the race and guys like me try not to get lapped and finish on the lead lap.

It is all about suffering and having a god time after the race.

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

I meant GOOD time....

though Sunday cross could also be considered God time I guess.

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

Results

Thanks for the results post.
Interesting results once again. I did 5 laps, followed Ben and the camera around for all of them and yet still came up with only doing 3 laps. The goal was to finish on the lead lap unlike the week before when crossaddict and the other 35+ racer blew by me like I was standing still but still on the lead lap for the 2/3/4 race.
Hopefully next weekend the results are better. Great race though and real fun course...plus music! Music is excellent and wee don't always have it on the courses here in CNY.

BiknBen

Thanks for the results post.
Interesting results once again. I did 5 laps, followed Ben and the camera around for all of them and yet still came up with only doing 3 laps. The goal was to finish on the lead lap unlike the week before when crossaddict and the other 35+ racer blew by me like I was standing still but still on the lead lap for the 2/3/4 race.

We finished in the lead lap. No one lapped us.

I can't see the results while at work. :mad:

Top Bottom