Pro moves

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Greenland is off mondraker and rumored to be headed to Syndicate

Shaw is off Syndicate and rumored to head to spesh

Dak is now without a team due to yt folding their world cup program. Again. Business-savy fuckers.

Conor Fearon off kona after 10 years of flat pedals.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Other rumor seems to be Luca to Canyon instead of Specialized. We shall see.
I figure canyon will nab one of those guys. Also someone said conor on forbidden which I didn't get.

Id think these team managers see dak as a possible world cup winner moreso than shaw. But less well known which matters just as much to them. Maybe neko retires and intense signs someone?

mtbiker87

Honestly, out of the YT camp, and unmentioned by anyone here so far, David Trummer is the most consistent podium contender by far, over Dak, Luca, Connor, and the above mentioned Neko as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all the US guys, and very few have the corner speed that Conner does when he's on his game, but if I was running a team, and looking for guy who could consistently put out a top twenty effort, Trummer would be first on that list out of those guys.

w_b

The other day I got stopped halfway on a rooty step up, instead of dabbing I popped the rear up, nose wheelied and pivoted the rest of the bike up over the obstacle like I knew what I was doing. Too smooth for school.

Oh, wait….

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Honestly, out of the YT camp, and unmentioned by anyone here so far, David Trummer is the most consistent podium contender by far, over Dak, Luca, Connor, and the above mentioned Neko as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of all the US guys, and very few have the corner speed that Conner does when he's on his game, but if I was running a team, and looking for guy who could consistently put out a top twenty effort, Trummer would be first on that list out of those guys.
True absolutely Trummer is a top 10 rider over the past 3 years, but dak is on more of an upward trajectory as trummer was arguably his best in 2019. Dak seems to be elevating significantly each year. Also he's American and not Austrian which aids marketability. I have to think at least 5 teams are asking right now if they can grow to accommodate dak.

Ian F

The Jan announcement season should be interesting...

Hard to say if Specialized has room in their roster for Luca with Finn and Loic. Maybe Canyon, although their line-up also seems full. Possibly Intense, with Neko moving to more of an ambassador role.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The Jan announcement season should be interesting...

Hard to say if Specialized has room in their roster for Luca with Finn and Loic. Maybe Canyon, although their line-up also seems full. Possibly Intense, with Neko moving to more of an ambassador role.
Anyone else think some pros have real concerns about the intense m29 being capable of winning world cups? I have to think if dak or luca has an offer from them or anyone else they choose the other.

I think spesh will go for one of the 2 americans. I think giant is a possibility too. Also there are 2 or 3 commencal teams so one of them is possible.

mtbiker87

Not sure if it's the bike, or the team itself, but Intense seems to be where Downhill careers go to die. Or at least these days it does.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
It sure has a catchy ring to it, not sure if I would use it as a marketing campaign though…’Intense, where downhill careers go to die…ask Gwin’
The riders don't hide their unhappiness with the bike. Not that I think gwin would have won a WC this past year on a supreme or demo, but they're constantly talking about how the m29 is a work in progress. In this day where every other bike is amazing I think the m29 is lacking.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
And blevins and haley batten off trinity-spesh. Might just be promotion from the junior program to the elite team. No matter where they go their kit will undoubtedly be better.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Neko off IFR. Wonder if he'll continue with a WC program or do something else.
Very curious about this. He's not really competitive at the highest level any more but he's entrepreneurial and maybe can start a team or be a team manager. Or do the rider-manager thing like bernard kerr. Really hope he can remain part of the sport And be successful.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Very curious about this. He's not really competitive at the highest level any more but he's entrepreneurial and maybe can start a team or be a team manager. Or do the rider-manager thing like bernard kerr. Really hope he can remain part of the sport And be successful.
Here you go. Great to see Frank the Welder building his bike - even if it is just another four bar design. :rolleyes:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
1. What a great video and interview. I learned more listening to neko just talk about approaching bike design in layman speak than I have in a while. 2. But the bigger thing here isn't the frame but rather that he's supporting himself as a one-man world cup team. He's experienced enough to know what he needs to compete at this level but this is pretty unique since a lot of money and effort goes into a competitive team. It doesn't seem his goal is to sell bikes and apparel like the athertons and I think he knows a 2022 world cup podium is unlikely no matter what the frame, so there's still a question as to what his long term game is. He's a businessman and so my guess is to keep a few lines in the water and see what bites the biggest.

Ian F

True. I'm not sure any of the major manufacturers actually make money on selling DH bikes. And I'm not sure FTW has the capacity or desire to do production runs on bikes. So my WAG is if/when these do go into production, it'll be via another frame builder - probably in Taiwan. Or who knows... maybe Neko will set up a production facility in the Ashville area to produce frames. I suspect if the latter happens, he'll have an enduro/trail bike design as well, since it looks like those can actually sell in the numbers to be profitable.

But regardless of what happens, it'll be interesting to watch. I look forward to the upcoming video series. I don't really need a DH bike, but I might buy a frame.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
BTW he's hooked up with 23 degrees sports management again, so this will very interesting to see how successful someone can be throughout a world cup season with just a rider/team manager and an agent. Like buying a house with just a lawyer and no real estate agency.

Top Bottom