MTB Specific Prescription Glasses

Karate Monkey

Were the glasses that you were wearing when you showed us around Nassau the combo glasses? Any pointers on where you got them from? I have been riding using either progressive sports glasses or regular which I need for reading only. The sports glasses fog up too much while the regular glasses might go flying in case of a crash so looking for something else.

Take an old pair of frames that fits well, get the cheapest polycarbonate yellow tint you can, and just use them. Worked well for me for the last 10 years; $80-90 extra every few years.

I find that wraparounds fog bad for 3/4 of the year.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Take an old pair of frames that fits well, get the cheapest polycarbonate yellow tint you can, and just use them. Worked well for me for the last 10 years; $80-90 extra every few years.

I find that wraparounds fog bad for 3/4 of the year.
I agree. I’ve got three RX “sports” glasses ranging from $150 - $350. They all fog up then get scratched when I try to clear them. One day I forgot the riding glasses and wore the cheapo ones I use to drive. Those ended up working better than all the others!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I get cheap glasses from Zenni in all sorts of tint color combo. I have like 20 of them. I do the anti-reflective coating, but not the anti-scratch coating because I like to wash my glasses when I'm in the shower to rid them of all the face oil and the anti-scratch stuff doesn't do well when you are rough with them. If you order like 10 pairs at the same time, they end up being about $15 a pair. So far, I haven't gone blind.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I get cheap glasses from Zenni in all sorts of tint color combo. I have like 20 of them. I do the anti-reflective coating, but not the anti-scratch coating because I like to wash my glasses when I'm in the shower to rid them of all the face oil and the anti-scratch stuff doesn't do well when you are rough with them. If you order like 10 pairs at the same time, they end up being about $15 a pair. So far, I haven't gone blind.
Any particular model you like for riding?

CNJRider

Joker
The hassle of dealing with glasses while riding was one of multipe reasons why I took the plunge into lasik three years ago and have had zero regrets since. If your vision has stabilized and you are eligible, I’d highly recommend it. It ain’t cheap but you might break even or come close to it in the long run when you no longer need to fiddle with exams and prescription lens. Can recommend my doc if anyone is interested.

Nowadays, I just use non-prescription wraparound goggles. Never fogs, no obstructions and the foam helps soak up brow sweat.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The hassle of dealing with glasses while riding was one of multipe reasons why I took the plunge into lasik three years ago and have had zero regrets since. If your vision has stabilized and you are eligible, I’d highly recommend it. It ain’t cheap but you might break even or come close to it in the long run when you no longer need to fiddle with exams and prescription lens. Can recommend my doc if anyone is interested.

Nowadays, I just use non-prescription wraparound goggles. Never fogs, no obstructions and the foam helps soak up brow sweat.
How do they define "stabilized"? Does that just mean your prescription hasn't changed over a certain period of time? And if so, what kind of time are they talking about? Just curious. When it's not sunny I wear the same glasses for riding that I do for day-to-day, but my Rx has changed a lot over the last few years - my day-to-day glasses are no good for reading anything closer than five feet or so, but my reading glasses wig out my eyes for anything beyond the end of my arm. So I'm basically screwed for reading any signs that are between my arm length and five feet away.

Robin

Have too many issues with my eyes so Lasik is not an option. I've been wearing my everyday progressive glasses but need something that is more durable/not going to shatter. Problem is, my prescription has been changing almost every year - so it adds up...sigh.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any particular model you like for riding?

I think these are my favorite $6.95 options for riding:

I'm not really into the sports wrap-around style, but they do have a selection although a bit more than $6.95.

BananaFred

I got my last two pairs of progressive lense prescription glasses from glassesusa. they have "sports" glasses and I have been toying with getting a pair. currently ride with an old pair of glasses but the coating has now flaked off.

CNJRider

Joker
How do they define "stabilized"? Does that just mean your prescription hasn't changed over a certain period of time? And if so, what kind of time are they talking about? Just curious. When it's not sunny I wear the same glasses for riding that I do for day-to-day, but my Rx has changed a lot over the last few years - my day-to-day glasses are no good for reading anything closer than five feet or so, but my reading glasses wig out my eyes for anything beyond the end of my arm. So I'm basically screwed for reading any signs that are between my arm length and five feet away.
Yeah, exactly. Consultations are typically free so best to ask a doctor. In my case, my rx did not change for at least 5 years if memory serves. I went from -8 and -7 with a stigmatism to 20/20 vision. I lost some nearsightedness but don’t need glasses for reading. My vision was basically brought up to what a man my age, ~40, with healthy vision should have.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Today I learned that Maui Jim’s are great for everything except riding in the woods. Had to leave my normal Wiley X’s at the optometrist to get new lenses. Grabbed my Maui Jim’s and couldn’t see shit. Cost me one of my favorite jerseys too.

IMG_2849.jpeg

Top Bottom