RV post-ride report!

ellbiddy

Today started off with a putter, I overslept a bit and ended up missing the scheduled start time with Kush, Chris (not sure what his handle is here), and I think C-Puncher if I heard right. So instead of 6:30 start time, it turned into 8am. I picked up Thatmanmanny around 6:40 and we were on the road by like 6:50ish. It as cold, really cold, my car thermometer said 20F. As we pulled into the lot we sat in the car pondering what were doing hah.

After gearing up and heading out my mush mush legs from the week were pitter pattering along and had an okay outing, morally low, but churned out some. Ran into the kush-posse and it was kush-less! Turns out his derailleur got sick of his company and decided to live on its own for a while. After some chit chat we got back to riding. Then in almost the same spot as last time I felt a rock come and bump my rim just a bit which equates to a pinch flat 99% of the time. So as I was changing my tube (which was epicly hard with the rubber being so cold had to use manny's levers as my finger's were going to fall off) we met another guy riding and formed a trio and mashed along. Had a good time all the way back to the lot ground out some hills. It was a crisp 32 when we got back and it felt like it was summer, I guess it's all relative :rofl:

In the end it was a fun trip, good workout, new mountain biking friend, and I was warm from 10 minutes in all the way to the finish (except my toes).

rlb

I checked out RV for the first time last Saturday. I made it 2 miles in before I gave up, I need to get used to climbing. Plus it was the first cold ride for me so I think that messed with my breathing, since I was wheezing the rest of the day. Sounds like you had a blast, hopefully I'll refer to RV as a fun trip some day!

ellbiddy

Heh, if you ever want to go out again, I love going to RV with new people and not have to worry about crapping out trying to keep a super fast pace. The transition from hike-a-bike to clearing everything feels really good, I'm almost there at RV, I just have a couple of climbs I need to beast out and the final test of manhood is being able to clear that climb from the cush lot all the way over the epic ridge.

trener1

Hey ellbidy,

I have to hook up with you for another ride at RV, had a blast the last time.
But what us with these wicked early starts, do all Mt Bikers have some kind of sleeping disorder? :hmmm:

See you tomorrow at KSVP.

rlb

I'll keep it in mind thanks! I started by the boat ramp, rode down the super steep eroded area along the fence then pased the dam, and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile into the uphill after that, and gave up even though it wasn't that steep of a climb. I proceeded to hike from the bottom of the dam all the way up along the fence, so I've got work to do.

kush

Chris from Halters and Larry (C Puncher) and I started RV at 6:30am today.

Elbiddy-o was on the invite list, by we know that youngsta's need their beauty rest :D

Cold as heck. You warm up on the first hill though.

On the last downhill I think the garmin was saying 27 mph, a rock or something jammed my rear der, and just shredded thing. I felt a tug and stopped right away.

The carnage could only be described in pictures.

With Larry and Chris' help, we converted the Superfly into a makeshift SS superfly, but that didn't last as the granny gear came undone from the screws, which was kind of bizarre.

Larry rocketed back to the lot and got the chase truck and picked us up limping alone on the road. We had a nice breakfast with grits ;) afterwards at some place don't remember what called

still an extremely fun ride, luckily the mechanical was the very end.

rv-der.jpg

THATmanMANNY

Clif to the Rescue

Unlike Norm's assortment of bars that save your under nourished body, this one saved the biker-less soul within me. The local guru rode with us after ellbiddy got his flat and led the way and provided the encouragement I needed. First time at RV and I rate it boring, scenic, 6/10 Fun and ~8.5/10 Training (lots of up&downs but not much turning). A number of things led to the demoralizing ride.

1) it started @ 20F
2) I was so amped to go ride and ready at 5:45am for pick up and that didn't happen till bout 7am. So all the positive attitude went downhill. (note: who was late as in tomorrow late this time)
3) the leafs that spun my wheels. Keep your momentum going here or else you will find yourself having difficulty going again.
4) the fact that for the past 2 months ellbiddy has been talking a storm about how unimaginable RV is
5) REPEAT

The hills are totally manageable but the list just got to my head. I bought a geared HT bike and your gosh darn right I got to use them all. Even my granny :eek:. I just hated the first half due to the mentality at the time. Ellbiddy got flat, Clif tagged along, took the lead, climbed like a goat and kept going, and that was the uuumph I needed. From then on the ride didn't stop and got a lot more fun descending or climbing. When the ride was over I felt like i could climb a lil more and I thanked Clif for saving my biker-less soul. The best part of the whole ride is the switchback area early in the ride because it was THE ROCK like and because I climbed it with fantastical success :D. Really too bad there isn't a complete loop here. Would be so much more enticing. For me, no more early bird special rides on the weekends. Esp at RV. Windchill factor :eek:

PEACE
Manny

Attachments

• RV.jpg
    RV.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 108

ellbiddy

...The hills are totally manageable but the list just got to my head...

Yakitty shmaticky, you pick a day and time and I'll watch you clear the park ;)

:cry::cry::cry: Always blaming someone! As for point 4, I talked about how good of a workout it is, which is undeniable that place gets me all sorts of tired.

Edit: Awesome photo though, the views at RV are always sure to impress.

Last edited:

kush

Manny, sorry your ride was disappointing.

But with RV, like with any place, it is what you make of it.

To sleepy-head's point, pushing yourself to clean these ascents is a process and an aspiration that should keep you coming back for more.

I'll give you a shout if we go when its warmer/later in the day. I gotta say that for me, the cold and wee hours adds to the adventure. Even the mechanicals are part of the fun. :getsome:

My next outing will be from the Cushetunk side for a little hike-a-bike.

ellbiddy

Manny, sorry your ride was disappointing.

But with RV, like with any place, it is what you make of it.

To sleepy-head's point, pushing yourself to clean these ascents is a process and an aspiration that should keep you coming back for more.

I'll give you a shout if we go when its warmer/later in the day. I gotta say that for me, the cold and wee hours adds to the adventure. Even the mechanicals are part of the fun. :getsome:

My next outing will be from the Cushetunk side for a little hike-a-bike.

Give me a ring-a-ding-ding, I'm feeling sadistic. This time I'll go to bed earlier :eek:

walter

Fourth Party
ну ты...следующее раз ты приедeш поздно я но помню этот разговор ;)

^^^^^^Translation

Hi Kush, Can you meet me at the Rutgers preserve on friday, please wear blue

Last edited:
Top Bottom