New 1UP Heavy Duty Owner…any tips?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so based on a quick google search a 3/8 lagbolt holds between 200-300lbs of pull out force when tightened all the way into dry lumber, do the math based on that, in theory YES a vertical alignment would hold more. But i wouldnt recommend storing the rack on one of those hangars in the open position, i would recommend storing them folded (this puts more of the load in shear and less in tension/bending)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so based on a quick google search a 3/8 lagbolt holds between 200-300lbs of pull out force when tightened all the way into dry lumber, do the math based on that, in theory YES a vertical alignment would hold more. But i wouldnt recommend storing the rack on one of those hangars in the open position, i would recommend storing them folded (this puts more of the load in shear and less in tension/bending)

i was going to store my bikes in them while hanging on the wall above the new car.

ebarker9

Those look great, would love more info, thanks!

Thanks! Not claiming that these are the best solutions, but working well for me and used up some material that I had sitting around.

A few more pictures. Both mounts are very simple. The lower one is essentially just a box the same size as a hitch receiver, mounted vertically and attached to the wall with a taller piece of wood to spread the pressure out across more of the drywall. I used cabinet screws to mount it. Two are in a stud and two are going into whatever the heaviest duty drywall anchors I could find. It feels incredibly solid and hasn't shown any signs of stress after a few years of use. I did carefully pre-drill holes into the center of the stud to make sure that it was solid. Spreading the load out across a couple of studs is a good idea, especially if you have room.

PXL_20210920_155927686.jpg

The upper one essentially works as a french cleat. I just used the angle of the rack so that it sits on a corresponding piece on the mount. The weight of the track locks it in there and short of a severe earthquake I don't imagine it falling off. Similar mounting to the lower one. I can measure angles/give dimensions if that's helpful but should be pretty self explanatory.

PXL_20210920_160006129.jpg

PXL_20210920_160021128.jpg

PXL_20210920_160056987.jpg

Pictures do a nice job of capturing all of the spiders...

serviceguy

@shrpshtr325

SbqYAu1OSCXqgsvLkEgbnnDI5CQFZY6E01viwa0T1bSwPPmgS3xmQE583_pc7AofME-xwrH0opsBHVWrVhLb_EykZEFm54uAAhzbfOYxipWKI9NgMql4LUbALTf1CGPWaPFdsJk04DkF1PARAFiWBg7RZAHl_ckfsMKD-_AAEvSrBgV67sUbnMTYR9EgcHwqSXpi2HBbWWB3tsegFjbQeTNyIH7vOczmeoKsBju1tZTHVceOLO0Ceph8WU3NSRdnCxk3Sb-aUVF5XZtvjJp0kJwiWgB6W3Bkw3X1i_ZOrs7jAq678l-27RsW1v46broUpesKbbE1IENNetnQYdkVis9vL-JNW3E-HA06o_w1QlSjbJhllNJqeVaHQwvA7CfdUu2vjqnPb4R-byHHfvyuedCiW46AM9jJqfVQqNFnel9_2DAjDCOr8Pxd0V-jbc4XyuvQwpGvKIfi7bzCiLS9yHNhTsBmgKNuszBADY48Mnqx7ZAwNr-sFiTH08Buay6Xdfs-z8IjqScsvdppcu4Lp5H2SXhw6b-Sw0xdLGtZRI31uRGGctjjNFuZ4H-P3opwcGly5hNw4LuJX-V3UOVPvQVni-ZTADrP1VuOPAhtO__sOVGB4yj22EaEXrPmq-C8bgBrs1F3QQ16bj_lkBcL0zI-8RfwLIe4f6X_93_jzOmNNhGLvSUqvDbNfz85h46_HUp8XfX4iqcWt_ixm5vx_mU2=w735-h979-no

Three lags in tension with the single stud,
1 in tension and two torsion bars in the 3 stud solution.

With yours, i suspect it is a 3 lag solution, with one behind the receiver?
That is a lot to ask of that angle iron hung that way (compressing the U shape, vs being on the bottom with the U in tension)
Think of a tape measure standing up, weight at the top would bend it over.

pre-drill if worried
1 - I don't see the picture

2 - I don't get the 3 lags Vs 1 lags in tension argument. The carrier would be bolted to the 2x6 (or 2x8) and the the 2x6(or 2x8) would be bolted to 3 adjacent studs to spread the load. I don't even think the horizontal 'wings are predrilled as they wouldn't find any stud so close to the one the center is bolted to (see picture) in the 'standard' setup.

3 - the U shape is supported by the vertical wall of the vertical u-shape.

Patrick

Staff member
1 - I don't see the picture

2 - I don't get the 3 lags Vs 1 lags in tension argument. The carrier would be bolted to the 2x6 (or 2x8) and the the 2x6(or 2x8) would be bolted to 3 adjacent studs to spread the load. I don't even think the horizontal 'wings are predrilled as they wouldn't find any stud so close to the one the center is bolted to (see picture) in the 'standard' setup.

3 - the U shape is supported by the vertical wall of the vertical u-shape.

this picture thing is killing me. Sorry.

1632174569827.png

Patrick

Staff member
AH, I see what you mean. Not the way I intended though. The metal bracket would still be vertical and anchored to the 2x6, which in turn would be anchored to the three studs, same shear and pivoted load but split on three studs . Makes sense?

OK - i see where you are going - i'm not sure if it makes a difference if the lags through the mount are only into the backer.
Angle them to hit the stud, and you've got a better system ???

What about seismic requirements?

African or European?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK - i see where you are going - i'm not sure if it makes a difference if the lags through the mount are only into the backer.
Angle them to hit the stud, and you've got a better system ???

African or European?

Asian

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
African or European?
It's based on local building codes! NJ!

I joke, but probably in the top 5 hated things I get at work is someone wanting me to prove seismic loading calculations were done. Which I never do.

Patrick

Staff member
It's based on local building codes! NJ!

I joke, but probably in the top 5 hated things I get at work is someone wanting me to prove seismic loading calculations were done. Which I never do.

it was a monty python reference. You kids..........;)

serviceguy

relative to Benny Hill, or on an absolute scale?

Are we off topic again?
Benny Hill and Mr.Bean, you don’t need to understand English to have a laugh. And I didn’t speak English when they were popular. Monty Python was more sophisticated and I guess not that greatly dubbed, so it was not funny at all for me.

And yes, I guess the thread went off the rails a little…

Patrick

Staff member
Benny Hill and Mr.Bean, you don’t need to understand English to have a laugh. And I didn’t speak English when they were popular. Monty Python was more sophisticated and I guess not that greatly dubbed, so it was not funny at all for me.

And yes, I guess the thread went off the rails a little…

Half of the humor is Government/Society specific. They make it generally funny, but it has much deeper meaning. Like Gulliver's Travels.
I can tell when the laugh track goes off, and i can't figure out what they are laughing at.

Top Bottom