New Trail Approved, Augusta Mine

MuniMan

After months of planning and advocacy, Palisades MTB is excited to announce that we have received approval to begin construction on a new trail segment in Sterling. Initially, we will begin work by hand but we also received approval to bring in mechanized equipment to speed up building on difficult segments.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!
  • New public trail work days will be announced shortly. Please consider coming out to help. NO trail building experience is necessary! We will have tools and guidance on site.
  • Fundraising - we are still in the planning stage but once we have machine details, we will need your help to move forward. Stay tuned.

1628562955367.jpeg

MuniMan

The Augusta Mine trail will be 1.8 miles long. It will leave from Hutchinson trail, run behind the mulch pile and park maintenance areas and connect to the McKeags Meadow trail. McKeags Meadow trail is currently being reconstructed by the NYNJTC.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Augusta Mine trail will be 1.8 miles long. It will leave from Hutchinson trail, run behind the mulch pile and park maintenance areas and connect to the McKeags Meadow trail. McKeags Meadow trail is currently being reconstructed by the NYNJTC.

Is that McKeags trail hiking only? Would this basically be an out & back addition to the loop?

Regardless, awesome news!

MuniMan

Is that McKeags trail hiking only? Would this basically be an out & back addition to the loop?

Regardless, awesome news!
McKeags is on the master plan for the park as multi-use bike/hike. It will be officially opened to biking when it’s renovation is complete and Augusta Mine is built. The much larger Laurel Meadows parking area will also take some of the parking pressure away from the Caretaker and Southgate parking lots.

Also the section of Redback between the Redback/Hutchinson junction and McKeags is on the short list. Once the plan for that is finalized, approved and rebuilt it will create many riding options.

Last edited:

moose35

Things here are coming along nicely.
We still need some help with donations to hire the machines. For now all work is being done by hand. If you guys/gals could here Is a link to where you can donate.

This is the current map
Screenshot_20210914-145915_Chrome.jpg

This is our plan. About an additional 5 miles.
Screenshot_20210914-145907_Chrome.jpg

Here are also some pictures of our progress.
20210912_120320.jpg

20210914_103555.jpg
20210914_103608.jpg

FB_IMG_1631646441068.jpg
FB_IMG_1631646444802.jpg
FB_IMG_1631646480442.jpg
FB_IMG_1631646490698.jpg

20210906_113913.jpg

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Things here are coming along nicely.
We still need some help with donations to hire the machines. For now all work is being done by hand. If you guys/gals could here Is a link to where you can donate.

This is the current map
View attachment 167181

This is our plan. About an additional 5 miles.
View attachment 167182

Here are also some pictures of our progress.
View attachment 167183
View attachment 167184View attachment 167185
View attachment 167187View attachment 167188View attachment 167189View attachment 167190
View attachment 167186
Donation link was easy to use. Thanks

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Maybe we can start a Sterling trail build donation telethon. People can make donations to have me stop telling bad jokes 😁. This is going to be an incredible addition to an already amazing trail system. Hope that people donate enough to make this a reality. First bad joke, why is 9 afraid of 7?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe we can start a Sterling trail build donation telethon. People can make donations to have me stop telling bad jokes 😁. This is going to be an incredible addition to an already amazing trail system. Hope that people donate enough to make this a reality. First bad joke, why is 9 afraid of 7?

i think you messed up the setup on this one.. . . . 🤔

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions