Hardtail Talk!!

Ian F

I have a current aluminum version of the Chameleon, set up with 27.5+ wheels and 2.8 Nobby Nic tires. To be honest, I have only ridden it once since I built it up, but I plan on it being my primary winter bike. One reason I chose the Chameleon (besides being able to get the frame fairly cheap when we had a grassroots deal with Santa Cruz) is the option of being able to easily run it as a single speed, although I currently have it set up with 12 spd XT and GX AXS:

1631550730449.png

My other plan is to swap over the AXS seat post from my Megatower, using a second bar clamp mount for the pod, thus giving the bike a clean singlespeed appearance while keeping modern convenience.

Strix

I have a current aluminum version of the Chameleon, set up with 27.5+ wheels and 2.8 Nobby Nic tires. To be honest, I have only ridden it once since I built it up, but I plan on it being my primary winter bike. One reason I chose the Chameleon (besides being able to get the frame fairly cheap when we had a grassroots deal with Santa Cruz) is the option of being able to easily run it as a single speed, although I currently have it set up with 12 spd XT and GX AXS:

View attachment 167128

My other plan is to swap over the AXS seat post from my Megatower, using a second bar clamp mount for the pod, thus giving the bike a clean singlespeed appearance while keeping modern convenience.
What fork are you running? And how many mm is your stem

Ian F

What fork are you running? And how many mm is your stem
Cane Creek Helm 1 (with the QR axle) set to 130mm travel. I have the same fork on my Megatower set at 160mm.

I'm not near the bike, but I'm pretty sure it's a 50mm stem, which is what I typically run. Might look short because of the 35mm diameter carbon bar - both are Hayes/Pro Taper brand. Another relic from when we had deals with them (I ran Manitou forks for years as well). I have a 50mm long 31.8 diameter version on the Megatower. I'm considering ordering a couple of I-9 stems since we are still associated with them and I like to run brands who support us when I can.

Strix

Cane Creek Helm 1 (with the QR axle) set to 130mm travel. I have the same fork on my Megatower set at 160mm.

I'm not near the bike, but I'm pretty sure it's a 50mm stem, which is what I typically run. Might look short because of the 35mm diameter carbon bar - both are Hayes/Pro Taper brand. Another relic from when we had deals with them (I ran Manitou forks for years as well). I have a 50mm long 31.8 diameter version on the Megatower. I'm considering ordering a couple of I-9 stems since we are still associated with them and I like to run brands who support us when I can.
Bike looks great. I’m gonna be picking up an industry nine stem as well there beautiful, I think I’m gonna go with the Rockshox pike ultimate 140mm I’m debating on GX cassette and Derailer or saving a couple of bucks and getting the NX

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m debating on GX cassette and Derailer or saving a couple of bucks and getting the NX
Take a serious look at microshift advent x
Groupset if you want to save some coin.
$165 for the full groupo, I'm running it on 4 bikes and couldn't be happier.

iman29

After riding a really old Rockhopper 26er that i had bought used and wishing I had a real MTB, I was lucky enough to grab this 2018 Salsa TJ 27.5+ off the forum here back in Feb.

I have taken it on a few "real" trail rides at Nassau and Stephens and it is a really good bike for me as I continue to learn more skills (beginner/advanced beginner level right now). This was the idea scenario for me since one day in the future I can also put 29r wheels on it if needed since the frame is designed for it.

since this pic was taken I have updated the tire combo to a Maxxis 2.8 up front and a 2.6 in the back which makes a YUGE difference in handling for me. I have some things to fix like the front fork lockout and i have to replace the dropper cable to make it functional again (saddle bag is temporary) but this bike so far has been awesome for me.

1631627487740.png

BananaFred

I would add a subscription to trailforks and a quadlock phone mount. there is no greater "upgrade" than the mental boost of a good ride.

teabagger11

After riding a really old Rockhopper 26er that i had bought used and wishing I had a real MTB, I was lucky enough to grab this 2018 Salsa TJ 27.5+ off the forum here back in Feb.

I have taken it on a few "real" trail rides at Nassau and Stephens and it is a really good bike for me as I continue to learn more skills (beginner/advanced beginner level right now). This was the idea scenario for me since one day in the future I can also put 29r wheels on it if needed since the frame is designed for it.

since this pic was taken I have updated the tire combo to a Maxxis 2.8 up front and a 2.6 in the back which makes a YUGE difference in handling for me. I have some things to fix like the front fork lockout and i have to replace the dropper cable to make it functional again (saddle bag is temporary) but this bike so far has been awesome for me.

View attachment 167168
Love my timberjack now I want the 29 version

Top Bottom