Any recommendations on a good set of winter MTB gloves??

LandCruiser

Anybody have recommendations on a good set of Winter MTB gloves?? My Dakines & Six Six Ones won't cut it through December. Looking for a good pair for the snow days.

Any input is greatly appreciate (links even better).

Thanks

ellbiddy

Giordana Lobster Glove! I posted a quick review in the review section and it was awesome. Very toasty in 29-30 Fahrenheit weather. Probably can go colder comfortably.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I have a set of Moose Mitts that are *really* toasty. So toasty, they're too damn hot over 30-ish degrees--though it is nice to wear regular gloves with them.

I just bought some Thor Ride MX winter gloves and took them on their maiden voyage today. They are very comfortable...

For the first few miles my finger tips were frozen (it was 24 degrees). After that, they were fine. It didn't get any warmer outside for the rest of the ride, so I chalk the initial frozen phalanges up to the fact they were cold when I put the gloves on. They were fine even on the rail bed at MD, where I cranked it up to 17-ish mph (the SIR9 has gears now).

With that said, my final verdict can't be given until I start the ride with warm fingers and have toasty fingers the entire ride.

Still, below 20 degrees I'd probably use my Moose Mitts.

Frank

Sasquatch
A word of caution when it comes to Lobster claws....I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi's and they are toasty warm. But I noticed a problem with them the first time I went to do a log-over....I use 3 fingers to grab my bar and use my index fingers on the brake levers:eek:. Basically I crashed and never used the gloves for riding again:(.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I have an older GORE model that it's not listed...it is a little bulkier...but since I am not shifting :D it really isnt an issue.
they are warm....although on really coldddddd days I still throw in a hand warmer thingy :eek:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Wow...very tempted to try the road ones.

Yeah, that has been floating around in the back of my mind too...I've been trying to manage my disease, though...:hysterica:hysterica:hysterica

Check lead time though...it took 4 weeks to get my mtb ones...

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Check out campmor. They had some nice lobster claw gloves there. Not sure about the other ones being posted but the ones at campmor were individual fingered gloves and the two lobster claw parts pull over the individual fingers, separating them into two pairs. So you have some choices you can go with, if things get hot. That and they were around $30 i believe.

I was impressed over the stupid cannondale gloves i bought for $40 last year.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A word of caution when it comes to Lobster claws....I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi's and they are toasty warm. But I noticed a problem with them the first time I went to do a log-over....I use 3 fingers to grab my bar and use my index fingers on the brake levers:eek:. Basically I crashed and never used the gloves for riding again:(.

so...um...does that mean these are "for sale"? :D

i've been using a pair of outdoor research "vert gloves" that i picked up on sale at ramsey two years ago. i use these both on the road and in the woods and have yet to get cold hands. i liked them so much that i bought a back up pair in the event these shat the bed...which they of course have not. the only downfall is no snot rag.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Anything with GORE Windstopper is always better since windchill is not a factor.

They can usually be lighter and less insulated.

Hard to beat this fabric.

There are other fabrics that do the same thing that cost less btw.

ArmyOfNone

Tough to beat gore, I have ridden PI gloves and saw the light when I switched to gore.

Those poggies have me a bit concerned...what do you do in case of an emergency and you need to release the bars? :hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have not found a glove that works on the road when it gets down to 30. Anything with single fingers is not going to work, IMO. Off-road is easy. I also tried the Giordana lobster-like gloves with liners and had much less success than Elbiddy.

At this point, and after dropping the coin and being 100% satisfied with the Lake shoes, I would drop whatever it took if there was a glove that simply worked, hands down. I have yet to come even remotely close to that state of Nirvana.

Also, I should mention that these comments are based on my riding up to 3 hous in these temps. Through 2 hours I'm ok. Beyond that things start to go south.

Top Bottom