Help Choosing Shoes for Flat Pedals

Mare

Hey ladies (and guys too)! Can you help? I am looking to get some shoes for flat pedals and I have no idea what to get cause reviews are so mixed. The same shoe runs big and small at the same time, depending on who reviews it! Some say a shoe is grippy, others say it's not. Eek!

I am looking at the following, but totally open to others.

Ride Concepts Vice
5.10 Sleuth (I ordered these cause they are free returns so nothing to lose and should have them by Friday)
5.10 Sleuth DLX
5.10 Freerider Pro

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Of those three, the Freerider Pro is the choice for woods riding. It has the grippiest sole you can buy, is appropriately stiff for power transfer, and the upper deals well with dirt and wet.

The Sleuth is a cool-looking shoe, but not really aimed at true woods riding, IMO.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Chiming in to share my wife’s perspective since she isn’t on the forum. She has been using the Freeriders for the first time this season and loves them. She loves the grip compared to the Vans she was using and finds there is plenty of support. She has pretty flat feet so a flexy shoe can cause her problems, and the sole is stiff enough for her. I put my pedals on her bike so the pedals she is riding with are as large as they get.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Arrgghhh... I wish you mentioned this earlier... I would have let you borrow my shoes this weekend. (if you're the same size as me that is)

i have the five ten freerider canvas shoe. LOVE THEM! i haven't tried the other five tens but i feel like i don't need to. I'm usually a size 8 and I bought these in an 8. they're a little wide in the toebox but works out fine for when i need thicker socks or when my feet swell a little.

Robin

I have the Freerider Pros...in several styles. I found the Pro has a stiffer sole than the traditional Freerider. I prefer the Pro for DH/more standing....and the traditional for more pedaling. Either way, the sole is grippy with the right pedals.

I have Barney Rubble feet - short and fat - size 7. If they may fit, let me know and you can try a pair.

I've been curious about the RCs as I know several gals who sport them

JerseyPete

Are the Ride Concept people the ones who left 5 10 after the Adidas buy out?
I found my 5 10's to run small.

TommyF

I have the Freerider's, they have amazing grip on flats !!! They do run small, I usually take a 10.5, got an 11.5 and they fit nice and snug.

Mare

So the Freerider (and Pro) got good reviews here and on bike sites. I am going to order both and see what fits. Thank you!

one piece crank

@Mare45 - Please post what you think of the Sleuth too! I have them on my list and don't want an overly stiff sole.

Funny you brought this up, as I have four shoes open in different browser tabs, and was thinking of ordering them all for test-fit!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Beware of 510’s new sole design that has the glued on sole. Currently in a warranty process for the hellcat pros.
New
BBE2EA52-4EA0-4880-8653-3BBAE005408C.jpeg

old
B9523B62-7E1E-4F7F-BE65-4A007730867D.jpeg

Mare

@Mare45 - Please post what you think of the Sleuth too! I have them on my list and don't want an overly stiff sole.

Funny you brought this up, as I have four shoes open in different browser tabs, and was thinking of ordering them all for test-fit!
I actually cancelled the Sleuth order and just ordered the Freerider and Freerider Pro. Most say they run true to size, so I ordered my normal size. What else is open in your tabs?

I soooo wish helmets and shoes were eligible for Prime Wardrobe :)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I actually cancelled the Sleuth order and just ordered the Freerider and Freerider Pro. Most say they run true to size, so I ordered my normal size. What else is open in your tabs?

I soooo wish helmets and shoes were eligible for Prime Wardrobe :)

some shoes are, just not the ones you are looking at (idk if any bike shoes are tbh, but my wife has done prime wardrobe for shoes before)

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
some shoes are, just not the ones you are looking at (idk if any bike shoes are tbh, but my wife has done prime wardrobe for shoes before)
most prime dealers have to honor free return though. I've returned multiple bike shoes for free. yeah you pay up front and could take a couple weeks to get your refund but I've never had an issue.

jvrock

My wife and I both use Five Tens. I've have several different models and love all of them. My wife loves her Freeriders. I know a crew of riders that swear by RC, but the general consensus is that they are stiffer and have better toe protection but everyone admits the Five Ten rubber is second to none. My 2 cents.

one piece crank

What else is open in your tabs?
Freerider, Sleuth DLX, Sleuth, and a couple Adidas shoes that are not technically biking shoes, but have the sole density I like. I'm also at the opposite end of the spectrum from you - Size 14 wide. And I worry about Five Ten widths...

w_b

Mare, if you are riding flats why not just use a proven comfortable to you shoe and never look back? You already know what fits and feels good.

Mare

Freerider, Sleuth DLX, Sleuth, and a couple Adidas shoes that are not technically biking shoes, but have the sole density I like. I'm also at the opposite end of the spectrum from you - Size 14 wide. And I worry about Five Ten widths...
The sleuths are supposed to be big in the toe box (I am pretty sure that's what I read), and big overall, so they might work. Especially since you are looking for a less stiff shoe.

Top Bottom