breathing cold air

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Interesting. I experience significant breathing difficulty in cold weather, to the point where I take Advair just so I can breathe normally while riding in the cold...

Wobbegong

Like the article said, a facemask makes a difference. I feel much better when breathing through the mask. The air is much warmer and has some moisture added to it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have a difficult time when it is really dry and cold. I usually just carry an oxygen tank and mask to help me out. Just stick it in your camelback and go!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Full scuba gear here. Works like a charm especially if I fall into a river.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
reason i looked this up was becasue it hurt like hell riding (even though it was like a 15 minute ride) and last night i kinda had a little hard time breathing. ima pick up a full face mask this week before i ride again.

Mare

reason i looked this up was becasue it hurt like hell riding (even though it was like a 15 minute ride) and last night i kinda had a little hard time breathing. ima pick up a full face mask this week before i ride again.

Believe it or not, it does get easier (less painful) as you get used to it. But not a bad idea to get your mask.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I mount a kerosene heater on my bars...

Seriously, I do get a nasty tingle in the base of my through and a "bronchial" cough whilst riding in the cold sometimes...sometimes I don't...'never quite figured out why it is so inconsistent.

The Kalmyk

May I suggest....

tiger_mask_1.JPG=600

Wobbegong

You'll feel better with the mask, no doubt.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you find that slows you down at all?

Uphill a little, but the pure oxygen helps me pedal. Downhill it's just a weight helping me go faster.

I would think the river would be frozen:confused:

Depends how fast it flows.

Just deal with it. No excuses, MIG. 180 or bust!

That made me crap my pants. I'd run like hell if I saw you in that.

Yeah, awesome pic man.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Quite funny, you all are!

All kidding aside, if you have trouble breathing while exercising in the cold, you may very well have cold induced or exercise induced asthma. I used to think such things were a crock and assumed my burning lungs and throat were just because I was out of shape and proof that I needed to suck it up and toughen up.

Simply walking up the block(a 12% grade) would make me hoarse for a day or two. More strenuous activity would leave me with a pneumonia like cough with heavy mucus for days. Not good. I mentioned it to my DR. He handed me the albuterol inhaler. What a difference!!

I only use it before I ride and I can ride all winter now and still breathe after. So, if you question it, check it out. It can make a huge difference cause breathing is NOT over-rated.

Top Bottom