La Ruta

VanDbtRiver

11/12-15/08, a rather momentous mtb event. i have'nt heard of any locals participating. anyone,...anyone,...?

BicyclePhD

Jamis Bicycles
Shop Keep
there is a bunch of guys from marty's doing it this year
a few of them have done it in the past also

xc62701

If anyone knows Timmy Dougherty he will be there cleaning up as well. Good luck to all that are going. I wish I could be there. Darn work...

J

jimex7

Do a search of our former NJ brother, Anrothar. He was there last year.

Has any one heard from him? He broke me out of my shell and showed me how to really ride a mountain bike.Good guy!!!

xc62701

I haven't. I have been trying to stalk him via the internet and no response yet. He is still posting up on mtbr though so he's still alive...:hmmm:

xc62701

Awesome! Harlan had a great day#4 with a 5th place finish and finished 10th overall as the 1st American.

VanDbtRiver

the costa ricans seem to be the dominant riders, are they just as successful in international events, or is it because of home court that they kill it at 'ruta?it seems strange that guys sponsored by pizza hut and sham-wow are beating harlan by a half hour every stage.:confused:

The Kalmyk

the costa ricans seem to be the dominant riders, are they just as successful in international events, or is it because of home court that they kill it at 'ruta?it seems strange that guys sponsored by pizza hut and sham-wow are beating harlan by a half hour every stage.:confused:

Just like everything else the world is cathing up to the great US of A...

xc62701

Completely the home court advantage. I'm not taking away from any of their rides since I be they are really strong as well but home court has a big deal here. I've also heard of the locals pointing other riders in the wrong direction just to help their countrymen do better...just a rumor?

syadasti

Wet Rag
Completely the home court advantage. I'm not taking away from any of their rides since I be they are really strong as well but home court has a big deal here. I've also heard of the locals pointing other riders in the wrong direction just to help their countrymen do better...just a rumor?

It would be a disadvantage to those riders from really flat places like NJ that don't train properly, no real advantage in the other direction. CR has some really big and steep mountains/hills.

I've been there 8 times visiting family and various places but never got a chance to ride. I've heard that most of the riding is boring dirt roads (not a lot of singletrack in the jungle I guess?) though so I don't imagine anyone is missing much.

Their roads are pretty crappy for driving, you really need a 4x4 there often. Its not as bad as Kenya and Tanzania though (missed my one opportunity to rent a MTB in Tanzania years ago - doh!)

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I saw Harlan Price at last night's cross race. We spoke at length about the race and the drama involved. He is an amazing rider for sure.

He agreed that their is a huge advantage to the locals. They have great opportunity not given to the visiting riders. The local fans do much to help their heroes and hurt visiting riders.

He said that the scenery was amazing and that the logistics of this race are crazy.

Top Bottom