Ask an automobile mechanic.

2600 miles! Maybe a proud new owner washing it constantly without having the slightest idea how to do it?
I seen cars with only 1000 miles already trashed inside out, some people just don't care. I had a customer complaining about her parking assist on a car with only 800 miles, ended up that she hit something with her front bumper and internally bent one of the short distance sensor brackets, the car already had scratches on the front and rear bumper and on the right side mirror housing. A friend of mine works at Tesla and they get very low milage cars full of scratches and bent wheels and even suspension damage and Teslas have probably the best driving assist and parking assist aids.

I seen cars with only 1000 miles already trashed inside out, some people just don't care. I had a customer complaining about her parking assist on a car with only 800 miles, ended up that she hit something with her front bumper and internally bent one of the short distance sensor brackets, the car already had scratches on the front and rear bumper and on the right side mirror housing. A friend of mine works at Tesla and they get very low milage cars full of scratches and bent wheels and even suspension damage and Teslas have probably the best driving assist and parking assist aids.

Those people should walk or take the bus.

I seen cars with only 1000 miles already trashed inside out, some people just don't care.
A small part of me gets not really caring about the state of your car but do these same people warm themselves by burning a pile of 100s? Because that's what they're doing. If it's a lease, they pay big in the end. You'd think you might do that ONCE.

When I returned my Volt lease a bunch of years ago, I cleaned it up well enough that the inspector asked me if I kept it roped off (it was actually parked outside, I had run my Cobra quickjacks into it, something fell on it during Sandy, I tore a mirror housing off it, scraped up a wheel, etc - I just fixed it all before I turned it in). He told me about people completely flipping out when they got their bills. A Ford Flex had 20" wheels that (IIRC) cost $800EA retail and all 4 were inevitably curbed badly. He had inspected a Panamera with a rocker panel held on with wood screws!

i get needing a car instead of wanting one (public transit in NJ is pretty horrible unless you are going into NYC), but then you buy a cheap POS corolla, civic or similar, just to get around in not a nice car that deserves to be treated well. I dont understand why these people spend big money on cars that they dont care about. (clearly thats the trend here)

Reactions: don
Many peeps look at a car as just a vehicle from A to B, not a reflection of, or an actual piece of themselves. Regardless of make or model. These peeps also heat their homes using hundos for kindling. Totally different mindset from car lovers.

A small part of me gets not really caring about the state of your car but do these same people warm themselves by burning a pile of 100s? Because that's what they're doing. If it's a lease, they pay big in the end. You'd think you might do that ONCE.

When I returned my Volt lease a bunch of years ago, I cleaned it up well enough that the inspector asked me if I kept it roped off (it was actually parked outside, I had run my Cobra quickjacks into it, something fell on it during Sandy, I tore a mirror housing off it, scraped up a wheel, etc - I just fixed it all before I turned it in). He told me about people completely flipping out when they got their bills. A Ford Flex had 20" wheels that (IIRC) cost $800EA retail and all 4 were inevitably curbed badly. He had inspected a Panamera with a rocker panel held on with wood screws!
When I used to do CPO inspections at my old job in Englewood, 90% of the lease returns from New York and maybe 30% of the lease returns from Jersey were trashed, absolutely trashed and some of those cars were $80k to $100k cars, it was sad, and a lot of those lease returns were sent to the state auction

My Queen uses the touch-park method.
Seems she caught the valve stem. Slow leak.
What is that crap around the stem?

2017 xt5

01072C84-2EA3-4F51-A5EF-8883235FA5CC.jpeg

al rims? looks like corrosion to me
Yep. The clearcoat is extremely thin on the edge of the valve stem hole. It's easy to damage, then it's just a matter of time, especially with our salt-covered winter roads. All of the machined/clearcoated rims on my old e-golf had some level of corrosion at 20k miles just from driving around and getting nicks on the spokes where the clear was thin. I was shocked that VW replaced all 4 under warranty. It took a lot of asking but they eventually came through.

al rims? looks like corrosion to me

yes it does, just this one wheel.

what can it cost? $500? :(

need tires anyway - maybe they'll go easy on the labor.

So @Dingo - should i go to the dealer for an oil change and let the tech upsell the tires? or just schedule the tires and valve/sensor?

So, my son was home this week with his LR. Thursday, battery is dead. Calls AAA they come and test and don't have the battery with them. Sends him over to AAA in Edison. Battery is replaced and everything seems fine. Drove the car around town with no problems.

Yesterday he leaves to head back to Pitt. About 2 hours into trip he calls me to say that he has something coming out of all ac vents. Turns off ac and it basically stops. I told him that if it's freon eventually the ac will be just warm air, so long as the freon doesn't kill him. At this point he mentions that the kid changing the battery had no idea what he was doing. Had to keep checking Youtube videos to figure out what to do.

Continuing the trip. An hour later I get a call the the stereo just died. Totally dead, just says LR on the screen. Pulls out Bluetooth speaker from luggage and continues trip.

Got to Pitt and says ac worked the whole way, stopped doing anything weird.

Is this all coincidence? Just an old car? Did the kid at AAA knock something loose? DId the freon possibly short out the stereo and hopefully just blow a fuse?

I'll get to fix this via Facetime unless he just finds AAA in Pittsburgh and convinces them to take a look.

I have had condensation blow out the ac vents of my truck for short periods, but it's usually after a short stop i.e. get gas and then get back on the road. I would think the radio is unrelated as the fuse going should take down the while thing screen and all

I have had condensation blow out the ac vents of my truck for short periods, but it's usually after a short stop i.e. get gas and then get back on the road. I would think the radio is unrelated as the fuse going should take down the while thing screen and all
Maybe it's days are numbered. A trouble free Land Rover for 13 years is pushing our luck.

Installing a Cummins R2.8 crate and need to weld in new frame side engine mounts. I'm trying to figure what angle the engine should reside front to rear. I have it at 4 degrees pitched down towards the rear axle. It seems to get me clearance by the steering box and the oil cooler on the engine but wanted to make sure before I weld mounts in. I cannot find tilt requirements on any Cummins documentation. Transfer case and driveshafts are in the stock location/height using stock LR mounts. What do you mec-a-nicks think?

Attachments

• cummins_r2.8_install.jpeg
    cummins_r2.8_install.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 29
  • cummins_r2.8_install_2.jpeg
    cummins_r2.8_install_2.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 29
  • cummins_r2.8_steering_box_oil_filter.jpeg
    cummins_r2.8_steering_box_oil_filter.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 29
Installing a Cummins R2.8 crate and need to weld in new frame side engine mounts. I'm trying to figure what angle the engine should reside front to rear. I have it at 4 degrees pitched down towards the rear axle. It seems to get me clearance by the steering box and the oil cooler on the engine but wanted to make sure before I weld mounts in. I cannot find tilt requirements on any Cummins documentation. Transfer case and driveshafts are in the stock location/height using stock LR mounts. What do you mec-a-nicks think?
If you haven't already tried looking , I would check the "Collison info " for whatever car /truck that motor was originally intended for .....you might find some useful info there ?? .....not sure but maybe it will help

If you haven't already tried looking , I would check the "Collison info " for whatever car /truck that motor was originally intended for .....you might find some useful info there ?? .....not sure but maybe it will help
thanks - good call just the R2.8 is based off an industrial engine but I never knew about collision info - good for swaps from other vehicles like a Merc turbo diesel and such.

thanks - good call just the R2.8 is based off an industrial engine but I never knew about collision info - good for swaps from other vehicles like a Merc turbo diesel and such.

industrial engine meaning stationary operation (i.e. generator, big water pump ect). There should be specs for that equipment as to how level it needs to be, the engine is likely mounted level relative to the equipment mounting points so that the level of the equipment is the same as the engine, should give you a good range.

i would expect 4degrees to do much personally.

So, my son was home this week with his LR. Thursday, battery is dead. Calls AAA they come and test and don't have the battery with them. Sends him over to AAA in Edison. Battery is replaced and everything seems fine. Drove the car around town with no problems.

Yesterday he leaves to head back to Pitt. About 2 hours into trip he calls me to say that he has something coming out of all ac vents. Turns off ac and it basically stops. I told him that if it's freon eventually the ac will be just warm air, so long as the freon doesn't kill him. At this point he mentions that the kid changing the battery had no idea what he was doing. Had to keep checking Youtube videos to figure out what to do.

Continuing the trip. An hour later I get a call the the stereo just died. Totally dead, just says LR on the screen. Pulls out Bluetooth speaker from luggage and continues trip.

Is this all coincidence? Just an old car? Did the kid at AAA knock something loose? DId the freon possibly short out the stereo and hopefully just blow a fuse?

I'll get to fix this via Facetime unless he just finds AAA in Pittsburgh and convinces them to take a look.
My first thought is the alternator might be the original issue. Or the ghost of Joe Lucas.

so what was coming out of vent, could it have been electrical smoke? something under that dash maybe melt? short out the radio?

My first thought is the alternator might be the original issue.
ya I have seen bad alternator, or even battery make a modern car act weird.....in my focus when the battery was dying after 6 years...it would disconnect for a fraction of a second, long enough to cause computers to reset when i was driving....did some weird things.

Back
Top Bottom