Raritan 911: Robocop

rick81721

Lothar
Gonna keep this going to chronicle retired cop life?

Looks like with lots more riding you are well on your way to the retirement freshman 15: it's the opposite of college - instead of gaining 15 lbs, you lose 15.

0_1608044.jpg

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
CBS Sunday Morning (June 6) had a in-depth report on the state of law enforcement in the USA. I thought it was well done and insightful. Clearly, there is work to do. However, the black LAPD officer sums it up well: the police are forced to respond to a multitude of issues because there is no one else who will. And then those police are told they have failed when in actuality the failure is with the rest of government: unemployment, homelessness, lack of access for mental health services, the list goes on.

The first 20 minutes are the best; the rest is a little more fluffy and feel-good with the exception of the Bill Bratton piece.

Cassinonorth

CBS Sunday Morning (June 6) had a in-depth report on the state of law enforcement in the USA. I thought it was well done and insightful. Clearly, there is work to do. However, the black LAPD officer sums it up well: the police are forced to respond to a multitude of issues because there is no one else who will. And then those police are told they have failed when in actuality the failure is with the rest of government: unemployment, homelessness, lack of access for mental health services, the list goes on.

The first 20 minutes are the best; the rest is a little more fluffy and feel-good with the exception of the Bill Bratton piece.

I think this is where the middle ground really lies. "Defund the Police" is not "abolish the police". Way different agendas. Police should not have to respond to every mental health call, overdose, or well being check.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Police should not have to respond to every mental health call, overdose, or well being check.

Flip that story though. Police do not respond to some complaint about a mental health call, user shoots up neighborhood.

Who gets blamed for not responding?

Cassinonorth

Flip that story though. Police do not respond to some complaint about a mental health call, user shoots up neighborhood.

Who gets blamed for not responding?

Most mental health calls are people doing harm to themselves. Not a person with a gun threatening a neighborhood...those two calls are wildly different than what I was saying.

Cassinonorth

But you get my point I presume. The police are often in a lose-lose situation. Act and fail. Don't act and fail.

You hope that the dispatch can make a decision which is appropriate. Not every situation requires an officer like not every situation requires the fire department. That's where progress gets made.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I think this is where the middle ground really lies. "Defund the Police" is not "abolish the police". Way different agendas. Police should not have to respond to every mental health call, overdose, or well being check.
Honestly, the police need more funding. That money should go to quality training. The reality is the police do get called for all the things you mentioned. They need to be trained to handle it. Reflecting upon the incident that started the whole “defund the police” movement, that training needs to include how to relieve an officer that is about to or has already crossed a line. As @Norm has already alluded, sometimes not doing anything can be far more catastrophic than doing something.

Cassinonorth

Honestly, the police need more funding. That money should go to quality training. The reality is the police do get called for all the things you mentioned. They need to be trained to handle it. Reflecting upon the incident that started the whole “defund the police” movement, that training needs to include how to relieve an officer that is about to or has already crossed a line. As @Norm has already alluded, sometimes not doing anything can be far more catastrophic than doing something.

Definitely agree they need more training. My brother in law who's a lt agrees with that fully. As it stands it's minimal training at best.

I still stand by they don't need to be called to every situation they're currently drawn to.

Reactions: don
Top Bottom