Classic bike ride, show, parade?

Always wanted a road Epic Like the one above.
I have a 95 MTB version

226E8AD2-0B82-430F-96DD-06EB43523FEF.jpeg

May I suggest updating the first post with the details so people don't need to search for them? Of course I may. I suggest. :)

Saturday, June 12th, (rain date June 13th) is the event.

Pack your picnic, and plan to arrive 9:30 AM or so, parking at the Doe Meadow lot. Bring a chair.
We group up based on who wants to ride Lewis Morris, Patriots Path, or Jockey Hollow (paved).
26" x 1.95s on the ground, toe cages and straps or bear claws spinning at 10 AM.
Back at noon for picnic lunch, bike display, camaraderie.

Some ideas:
1. Think of how to display your bike without a kickstand (unless you have one).
2. If you are bringing several bikes (I am) bring a lock for the ones you are not going to ride.
3. Still have a jersey from the '90s? Wear it if you can fit in it!
This is post # 77. I will try to pin it to the top.

Lewis Morris was FANTASTIC today.
Took a few trails I hadn’t ridden in a few years including a “pink squares” trail.
I’ve been on it before but never noticed this particular marking.

Anyway, if we have weather like this it’ll be a great meet and ride.

I realized my mountain bike is becoming vintage so I might just bring my current rig so I can get him some good mtb miles :thumbsup: And maybe bring another bike just for fun to keep my mtb company while we are having lunch.

Countdown to the event. It is the weekend after the group Nassau Ride, so less than two weeks out.
Hopefully you are getting your wall art of a bike ready for some of its former glory. (I ordered tires for mine, as the OEMs in situ would not last long on a real ride.)

Now to find my oldest bike jersey. With the polyester used back in the day, I can probably do that by smell...

I will also be bringing all the vintage parts i have and i encourage others too as well. It can be a bit of a flea market/swap meet for hard to find vintage parts.

Countdown to the event. It is the weekend after the group Nassau Ride, so less than two weeks out.
Hopefully you are getting your wall art of a bike ready for some of its former glory. (I ordered tires for mine, as the OEMs in situ would not last long on a real ride.)

Now to find my oldest bike jersey. With the polyester used back in the day, I can probably do that by smell...
none of mine would fit, remember when I was wearing zeros and ones in HS/College. Good for you if still wearable

Oldest bike jersey? When I first started biking, I wore baggy cotton shorts and a giant t-shirt. Then I graduated to bike shorts under the baggy shorts (without a chamois, maybe cotton, from Sports Authority for $12 at most). 😵

After weeks of looking forward to this and even grabbing a vintage curb find bike that I can bring looks like I am out for this event due to kiddo activity schedule Saturday.

I was hoping to chat up the vintage experts and see if anyone has some parts laying around as the rear shifter (alivio 7 speed) seems to be shot and won’t engage. Then I realized at some point the front shifter was replaced already since the types don’t match.

Other than that and needing a new chain, cables and brake pads this thing is ready to ride. Original tires not even dry rotted and still holding air from when I found it in April.

There’s a slim chance maybe I can show up for lunch will see how it goes. If I do come this will come with me for show and tell.

ECAED8CD-4186-4658-B3D4-5CFB2B48BDA2.jpeg

21C91D8B-EC91-467D-B94F-CF79FBC4C436.jpeg

I too am looking iffy for this now due to Wifey obligations. If i come it'll likely just be for lunch as well :(

...see if anyone has some parts laying around as the rear shifter (alivio 7 speed) seems to be shot and won’t engage.

View attachment 159424
These shifters are rarely shot. Over decades, the lube turns to plastic, and the pawl springs can't push past this plastic. We remove the cover, put in some solvent, and wiggle the shifting pawls. In most cases, the shifter comes back to life once the plasticized lube is dissolved and the pawl springs have less plastic to overcome. I hope to see you Saturday.

As of Tuesday, the weather forecast still looks good for Saturday. If that changes, remember the rain date is Sunday. If the forecast changes, check back here. Meanwhile, get those narrow handlebars and 26x1.95 tires ready. We are going to party like it's 1999!
DSCF2280[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom