just can't get it dammit!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Please forgive me but I have followed every detail and it just isn't working! I have purchased stans 355 wheelset with the intention to run standard tires as informed that it will be no problem. Conti super sonics are my tire choice and stans goo and freakin' hours and they won't hold air for more then 48 hrs.
I even tried mixin' slime in one wheel as i have seen work for some. Please any advise would greatly be helpful with my setup not with buying another set of tires.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No as stated I wanted to run standard and was informed it would not be a problem. Stan rims state you can run either because of there rim lock is different then others.

lou_b_83

You should just get UST tires and save your self the headache. I do know some guys that do run none UST tires but they end up burping allot.

BiknBen

...I have purchased Stan's 355 wheelset with the intention to run standard tires as informed that it will be no problem.

You got bad information.

This is why tubeless tires and rims have to get UST certified. It ensures compatibility. What you are doing is an experiment. If it works great. If not...you are SOL.

For every success story there is an equal number of failures. :hmmm:

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should just get UST tires and save your self the headache. I do know some guys that do run none UST tires but they end up burping allot.
Again stans claimed that this rim works without using ust tires I don't know if the guys you speak of are using stans rims.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You got bad information.

This is why tubeless tires and rims have to get UST certified. It ensures compatibility. What you are doing is an experiment. If it works great. If not...you are SOL.

For every success story there is an equal number of failures. :hmmm:

The info I got was from the horse's mouth and thier website which clear states it. I did call and they are insuring me it will work. They told me to put the wheels on ride at low psi (25 to be exact) for 10 to 15 mins. then fill to desired pressure and all should be good so we shall see.

Wobbegong

Here is what I did to get non UST tires to seal up using a conversion kit:

After installing the rim strips and stem and putting the sealant in the tire, seat the tire on the rim and hit the stem with an air compressor. Tire is off the bike.

Once the tire seats, fill with air from compressor until its quite firm (40 or so psi).

Take the wheel and hold it sideways and shake like mad. Listen for hissing air and try to get that section to a low point and shake until it stops.

If the tire gets a bit soft while doing this, hit it with the compressor again to firm up the tire.

Keep spinning the wheel, holding the wheel sideways. Stop and flip the wheel over often to get both beads on the low side so gravity pulls the sealant to seal both sides. Use compressor to keep air pressure up while doing this, if its needed.

Shake, spin, flip, fill with air if needed, repeat until tire no longer hisses. Then do it some more.

Dont skimp on the sealant, use as much as it says to use.

Using this technique, My non ust tires would hold air until the sealant dried out, about 2 months.

Good Luck....

ArmyOfNone

The info I got was from the horse's mouth and thier website which clear states it. I did call and they are insuring me it will work. They told me to put the wheels on ride at low psi (25 to be exact) for 10 to 15 mins. then fill to desired pressure and all should be good so we shall see.

This actually seems opposite to what I remember the website stating. I recall them saying to use a compressor to pump the tire to a high pressure to ensure the beads sit. Let them sit for a while then pump them to desired pressure. I think they actually discouraged riding immediately.

BiknBen

The info I got was from the horse's mouth and their website which clear states it.

If I was a car salesman, I'd tell you I have the perfect car for you. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I have never cared for Stan's. The sealant started out as some garage home-brew mixture and somehow caught on and became so much more.

I use the sealant for my UST tires and rims. Since the setup is UST, I use it for flat prevention and to keep the beads from leaking. I know tons of guys are using it with the Stan's strips and whatnot. I just think that is a lot of trouble to get air to stay in a tire. I prefer to use the UST stuff so I don't have to go through the headache that you are dealing with. Sorry.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This actually seems opposite to what I remember the website stating. I recall them saying to use a compressor to pump the tire to a high pressure to ensure the beads sit. Let them sit for a while then pump them to desired pressure. I think they actually discouraged riding immediately.

because of my tire choice the man from stans informed me this is the best sultion for my problem. Ben I'm keepin the faith that this will work.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Ok, so let me just get this staight. You have been successful in setting the bead, but it holds for 48 hours or less? Now I have stans'ed Conti's before, granted, they weren't supersonic tires, but didn't have too many troubles. I know with Kendas, half the battle is sealling up all the tiny little pinholes in the casing due to such a lightweight design. Maybe you have a similar problem. In that case, you gotta keep working the stans in at a higher pressure. As you get to the higher pressure, you will probably start to here a bit of hissing as little holes open up. Be careful because I believe there is a pressure limit on the rim itself, so don't exceed that. Also, it's been more than once that a customer brought in a brand new set of stans wheels that were "pretaped" and we had to retape them to work. In most cases, a faulty rimstrip is visible and sometimes when installing the tire, the tape can catch on the tire and lift up on you. And just make sure you have the right valve stem in there. Stan makes an olympic valve that is only for the olympic rim with the yellow tape and he makes one for everything else. If you have an olympic rim, the rubber head of the stem is much smaller and is just a little bigger than the valve hole. The standard valve is much larger and won't sit correctly in the "valley" of the rim
You chose the lighter setup, but not exactly the most durable reliable setup. As for Stan, he has some great products, but he would make a great used car salesman, if you know what I mean. It's okay to admit that a product has some shortcomings once in a while.

Top Bottom