fetish fixation

J-Dro

Does anyone have any experience with the fetish cycles fixation SS frame?
http://www.fetishcycles.com/mountain/fixation/index.html

I know you can get them on eBay for $190 shipped all the time... and I stumbled on someone local looking to sell a new one for way less. The welds look kinda ugly but it looks like a pretty beefy frame. Claimed weight is 4.6 pounds. Will I regret an aluminum SS hardtail? Should I hold out for steel? Should I hold out for 29"?

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

I know you can get them on eBay for $190 shipped all the time... and I stumbled on someone local looking to sell a new one for way less. The welds look kinda ugly but it looks like a pretty beefy frame. Claimed weight is 4.6 pounds. Will I regret an aluminum SS hardtail? Should I hold out for steel? Should I hold out for 29"?

I'm much happier with my aluminum frame. I think that bike looks HOT.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

I would bet that you won't dig it too much. The few guys who have not taken to SS were on super ridgid SS frames like this or the Chamelion from Santa Cruz.

Steel or TI would be my pick for the Sourlands. Since that is your backyard I would stay away from alloy. I would go 29" too..

Come grab my Haro Mary Demo next week and see what a steel 29er SS rides like.

My demo is an 18" and I now have all 3 sizes back in stock.

J-Dro

I would bet that you won't dig it too much. The few guys who have not taken to SS were on super ridgid SS frames like this or the Chamelion from Santa Cruz.

Steel or TI would be my pick for the Sourlands. Since that is your backyard I would stay away from alloy. I would go 29" too..

Come grab my Haro Mary Demo next week and see what a steel 29er SS rides like.

My demo is an 18" and I now have all 3 sizes back in stock.

I hear you about the rigidity. I envision running a suspension fork up front, so I'm not sure how important the steel factor is. I'm also thinking about doing this on the cheap, picking up used or closeout parts when available, so thats what most attracted me to this deal.

As for the Sourlands, I don't see why anyone would ride a SS there. Sure, it can be done, but why? Full suspension and gears were put on this earth for places like this. I know the SS ride can be addicting... Once at Chimney Rock, Mergs let me borrow his SS and he rode my full squishy. I had such a blast I didn't want to give his bike back. :D But Sourlands? I'll take all the plushness I can get, thank you very much.

The Mary is an offer too good to refuse though so I have to stop by and take her for a spin. 18" would probably work. I ride a 19" frame now, I'm 5'11".

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i rode sourlands on a rigid ss and had an absolute blast. it was unbelievably fun. the steering precision made a huge difference, and i think pushing the bigger gear allowed me to keep momentum through the rocks better. trials riders don't run suspension(those with suspension sponsors often put dowel rods in their forks).

J-Dro

Did I mention that my trials skills suck?:hmmm: Seriously, I envy guys who use the bike like its just another part of their body.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

oh I'm watching Fixation on netflix right now but that has nothing to do with the bike

omg, the drunken fixie crew segment is just damn awful :mad2:

But the hipster tricksters were pretty wild. I never seen tricks like that

Last edited:
Top Bottom