jaychallenge

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Sounds pretty cool. Not being into any sort of skiing/boarding, I'm generally happy NOT to see snow, though.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
perfect oportunity to test your cold weather gear. i can take two people(other than myself) with gear.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love the race director warning. In all seems like a serious challenge but the down side of not being prepared is pretty steep.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
no no

I have been snowboarding a bunch at Jay Peak. It is perhaps the best that NewEngland Has to offer.

If I make that drive in the winter I will not be bringing a bike.

j

ArmyOfNone

sticky icky

I know i have much to learn. Someone educate me on duct tape. Apparently for this ride you cannot survive without it.

ArmyOfNone

ill have to see

perfect oportunity to test your cold weather gear. i can take two people(other than myself) with gear.

I wanna do this. I just have to see if it will work out with my work schedule. I should know shortly.

what additional equipment or preperation would one suggest before embarking on such an endevor?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's an equipment list on the site. Personally I would recommend one of those snow cats that climb Mount Washington. Not to deter anyone or anything, but realize it could be like -30 the day you ride.

rocknrollgirl

I saw this posted, and we think it looks great, but it is a long, long drive up there. We went xc skiing up that way a few years ago, and it is a haul.

Ruth

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ALL-a-muchy was the same, and most endurance events are as well. i think it's because of the difficulties and extra expenses involved with a winter/snow race.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I paid $48 for All-a-muchy? Maybe $55. Def not $100.

But yeah these events aren't cheap. They have heated tents at the rest stops and snowmobile support to bring you back if you crap out.

ArmyOfNone

you're right, 48. i must have been thinking of the 24 hr events.

i was reading some guys blog that i stumbled upon the number of 24 hour events. Excluding Sean bc hes not human. They sound like just hell. however since we all enjoy tourturing ourselves, i just may do some someday.

Which leads me to my next question. What would a good event be for my first race or big ride? I know of the 24 hours of allamuchy and that h2h series. Would that be a good place to start?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
considering the terrain you're currently used to, i would recommend allaire as perhaps your first race. i know they hold a few there nearly every year(right?). you could certainly go anywhere and race and i think you would do well and have a good time, but you might find that place more enjoyable in a race than one of the rockier courses with longer climbs. however, if you go ride sourlands and chimneyrock a bunch, it would certainly have you better prepared for a race anywhere. i don't know that the 2007 schedules are out yet.

my first 24 hour race was with a 'team', and i think that's perhaps the best intro to the discipline.

Top Bottom