Wheres the fun stuff at?

MTBTyler

What place in nj has lots of log rides, skinnys, bridges, rock gardens, berms, those stick pile things (dont know what else to call it) and anything technical like that? Dont say diablo cause I know that:D

pinkshirtphotos

Skyline area of ringwood has some sketchy old freeride stuff. Allaire has some skinnies, i here six mile does too. There will be a new (drawing a blank on the real name) freeride area near allamuchy soon. when i want fast and flowy i go to kittatiny (or allaire if im down there) i come from a dh background. If you are willing to travel to NYC there is Highbridge park, cuningham (spelling?), and some other place i cannot recall. They have a few downhill runs, dirt jumps, and i think a pumptrack.

jontotman

I know you said in New Jersey but if you happen to be in Queens, NY try to go to Cunningham park. There are lots of logs, skinnies and two sets of pump track there. And there are some technical stuff for xc riders too.
Check some video clip from Cunningham park.

http://www.vimeo.com/bikechp

Last edited:

don

I know you said in New Jersey but if you happen to be in Queens, NY try to go to Cunningham park. There are lots of logs, skinnies and two sets of pump track there. And there are some technical stuff for xc riders too.
Check some video clip from Cunningham park.

http://www.vimeo.com/bikechp

Nice vid. I've been wanting to get up to Cunningham Park - it looks really fun from that video!

don

O yeah, I heard about some updates that are going in at Cunningham:

Yea, along the paved path there's a huge depression. We're looking to zig zag down the hill with jumps, berms and rollers. To the side in the brush, we're looking to make a tech line with rock gardens, logs, logrides, and drops.

Both lines will lead back up the otherside of the depression and on that plateau we're gonna have a jump line the splits. One line will go back toward the beginning, down the hill you just climbed up. We'll have some drops and jumps leading you back.....the other line that spilts off will go down another small hill that will have 3 drops side by side. Like the other "skills" area on the east side.

We'll be starting this soon. Probably next month...Please don't try to make anything yourself. Thanks =)

Jim

jontotman

Nice vid. I've been wanting to get up to Cunningham Park - it looks really fun from that video!
You should go, it's really fun and worth the drive. The park was featured in Dec. 08 issue of Mountain Bike Action Magazine (trail mix section page 26)

idbrian

Crotch Rot
This is just in my opinion, but Cunningham is not worth the drive from Jersey. You can find the same thing in NJ places only better. The exception being that the NYC crowd likes to build up skinnies and log piles, but they are really just in one play area (the play area featured in most those videos).

I guess if you are going to just check out something new. But there aren't many miles there, the trails are very easy (even the advanced ones) and there is glass all over. C-ham reminds me of Clayton with less hills.

The mecca of technical riding in this area is Blue Mountain in NY. Sprain has some difficult riding as well as skinnies, but if i head that direction i would go with Blue instead.

Last edited:

don

Yeah, I've heard Blue is the place to go.

If I headed to Cunningham I'd bring my DJ bike and try and make a stop at Highbridge and check that out too. And come to think of it, if I was in the LI area I'd try and swing by some other trails I've been wanting to ride for a long while.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
If you want skinnies, rock drops, and super tech riding, then Sprain or Ninham are the spots to hit. Blue is amazingly awesome tech XC, but not as much in the skinny or drop department.

Cunningham and Highbridge are way fun (they're local to me so I spend a lot of time there), but on the weekends our crew heads out of the city to Blue, Sprain, Ninham, Skyline, etc. for longer trails. This winter when your NJ trails are covered in snow, it would definitely be worth a trip into the city where it stays warmer and the trails clear out quicker...

jontotman

This is just in my opinion, but Cunningham is not worth the drive from Jersey. You can find the same thing in NJ places only better. The exception being that the NYC crowd likes to build up skinnies and log piles, but they are really just in one play area (the play area featured in most those videos).

I guess if you are going to just check out something new. But there aren't many miles there, the trails are very easy (even the advanced ones) and there is glass all over. C-ham reminds me of Clayton with less hills.

The mecca of technical riding in this area is Blue Mountain in NY. Sprain has some difficult riding as well as skinnies, but if i head that direction i would go with Blue instead.
I guess you are probably right, technical stuff here are nothing compare to Jersey trails. And if your looking for climbs and getting your mileage ride you'll definitely will NOT find it here. And that's why I ride most of the time in Ringwood and Blue Mountain. And will ride Round Valley this coming Sunday with my friends from NYC. But like what you said if you are looking for something NEW and also FUN I think you should try CHP.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I am glad you didn't take my response as bashing it. I work over in Queens and ride there after work a lot.

jontotman, if you like really techy riding and haven't been there yet, Sourlands is crazy rocky.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
If I headed to Cunningham I'd bring my DJ bike and try and make a stop at Highbridge and check that out too. And come to think of it, if I was in the LI area I'd try and swing by some other trails I've been wanting to ride for a long while.

Count me in.

jontotman

I am glad you didn't take my response as bashing it. I work over in Queens and ride there after work a lot.

jontotman, if you like really techy riding and haven't been there yet, Sourlands is crazy rocky.
No offense taken, I guess if you ride in Cunningham after work "a lot" you must somehow like the trail and have fun playing on "the big playing area.":hmmm::D

I used to live a few blocks away from Cunni before I moved upstate. Most of my friends live in Queens and Long Island so I still go and ride in Cunni every other week just to catch up with my friends. The trail loop is approximately 6.5 miles so what we usually do is do 3 to 5 loops just to get our mileage ride. And probably that was enough training for one of my friend who podium in Blue Mountain this year Single Speed Sports Category.

Nope never been to Sourlands but saw few pictures taken there and reminds me of Sprain Ridge. I'd like to go there someday though. Thanks.

Top Bottom