The DIY thread - DIYourself

iman29

Project sand down the deck. Another DIY cluster F but nothing as bad as the bathroom vent fan.

After 10+ years of slapping 2 coats of solid stain on this crappy deck I had to finally sand it down. The small single stage snowblower I used on the deck like 1000 times this winter ripped a lot of it off and there was no way to just cover it again.

After researching it and watching 10 YouTube videos I was all set to get a drum sander and at least get most of the deck stain off. I was not going for perfection here just enough to be able to apply 2 new coats and get rid of most of the peeling stuff.

Started off like this:
ACDD1A86-8F6A-48DF-B8A7-6894D038AEC8.jpeg

Got to HD tool rental where they informed me they only rent out orbital sanders for the deck cause the drum sander can get damaged. Ok I guess that’s the choice. I should have known this would be an issue once the guy told me “you’re gonna need a box of these sandpaper sheets and not just a few. Ugh.

Got the machine home and then the problems start before I even got it out of the car. The twist lock plug for the handle would not catch and I realized it’s broken and dropped into the machine. F**k.

Rather than drive back I popped open
The bracket and wrapped it with electrical
Tape, plugged it back in and then screwed in the bracket. Problem solved and if they ask me I am playing dumb.

9C831F55-94C3-4434-9F4A-586346F2A408.jpegB0DAE0D5-973A-48EE-8A24-093DE7E02998.jpeg

Got all the furniture cleared off the deck and set up the machine. Crank
It up and the first brand new sheet of sandpaper lasts all of 30 seconds and comes off the pad. Tried another one. Same thing. Now I crack open the box he gave me and it seems slightly different. Stick that on and it seems to work better.

I start sanding at it barely makes any progress. Just seems like the grit of the paper isn’t aggressive enough for the solid stain. At this point I remember I have an old floor scraper in the shed. Dig that out and after sharpening with a file it helps me start peeling massive strips of paint off. Like thicker than an index card.

I then realize I can’t just blow all this off the deck so I had to sweep and scoop all
The debris and paint strips into a garbage bag. This cycle repeats itself for like 2-3 hours. During this time I realize I am never getting any of this down to the wood so the goal is to get as much loose paint off as possible. I started sanding at a 45 degree angle and it worked much better.

I got to the point where I think this is as good as it’s gonna be. I plan to use the same solid stain again and use 2 coats anyway but at least in most of the spots it’s roughed up enough where it might not peel up as much. Until next winter.

Plan to paint it next day or so when the deck will be warm but hopefully before it rains. Otherwise it needs like 4-5 days rain free to dry out.

Hoping the theory of it looks worse before it looks better applies here. Oh and I probably should not have tackled this after a 53 mile bike ride but hey can’t pass up nice weather. Amirite?

Stay tuned for painting day.

80FA31EF-A6EE-4351-B4CD-C8F294231DCD.jpeg44CCEED4-37E3-4CCB-8BDF-1C046CD00326.jpeg543C3D1E-3759-4CDA-9366-A8A0390350C6.jpeg255466A9-5706-4100-A8CE-5988C3E2CC43.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Project sand down the deck. Another DIY cluster F but nothing as bad as the bathroom vent fan.

After 10+ years of slapping 2 coats of solid stain on this crappy deck I had to finally sand it down. The small single stage snowblower I used on the deck like 1000 times this winter ripped a lot of it off and there was no way to just cover it again.

After researching it and watching 10 YouTube videos I was all set to get a drum sander and at least get most of the deck stain off. I was not going for perfection here just enough to be able to apply 2 new coats and get rid of most of the peeling stuff.

Started off like this:
View attachment 157856

Got to HD tool rental where they informed me they only rent out orbital sanders for the deck cause the drum sander can get damaged. Ok I guess that’s the choice. I should have known this would be an issue once the guy told me “you’re gonna need a box of these sandpaper sheets and not just a few. Ugh.

Got the machine home and then the problems start before I even got it out of the car. The twist lock plug for the handle would not catch and I realized it’s broken and dropped into the machine. F**k.

Tape, plugged it back in and then screwed in the bracket. Problem solved and if they ask me I am playing dumb.

View attachment 157853View attachment 157854

It up and the first brand new sheet of sandpaper lasts all of 30 seconds and comes off the pad. Tried another one. Same thing. Now I crack open the box he gave me and it seems slightly different. Stick that on and it seems to work better.

I start sanding at it barely makes any progress. Just seems like the grit of the paper isn’t aggressive enough for the solid stain. At this point I remember I have an old floor scraper in the shed. Dig that out and after sharpening with a file it helps me start peeling massive strips of paint off. Like thicker than an index card.

I then realize I can’t just blow all this off the deck so I had to sweep and scoop all
The debris and paint strips into a garbage bag. This cycle repeats itself for like 2-3 hours. During this time I realize I am never getting any of this down to the wood so the goal is to get as much loose paint off as possible. I started sanding at a 45 degree angle and it worked much better.

I got to the point where I think this is as good as it’s gonna be. I plan to use the same solid stain again and use 2 coats anyway but at least in most of the spots it’s roughed up enough where it might not peel up as much. Until next winter.

Plan to paint it next day or so when the deck will be warm but hopefully before it rains. Otherwise it needs like 4-5 days rain free to dry out.

Hoping the theory of it looks worse before it looks better applies here. Oh and I probably should not have tackled this after a 53 mile bike ride but hey can’t pass up nice weather. Amirite?

View attachment 157857View attachment 157858View attachment 157859View attachment 157860

did i say deck? i meant dining room.

Karate Monkey

Like literally right now, or tomorrow right now?
The final application was a few coats of clear coat/uv protector -
Still wax?

Somewhat hyperbole, but ASAP. Wax is going to last way longer/perform the same function as the clear coat. When I did it to a car, I wound up redoing it 6 months later.

The wax helps shed water/ice too, which is nice.

serviceguy

Started off like this:
View attachment 157856

View attachment 157853View attachment 157854

View attachment 157857View attachment 157858View attachment 157859View attachment 157860
Would a power washer help peel the paint off, especially after removing strips of paint and exposing part of the wood? I think I saw a commercial promoting a franchise doing paint removal using a special power washer, haven’t seen it in a while though.

Last edited:

iman29

Would a power washer help peel the paint off, especially after removing strips of paint and exposing part of the wood? I think I saw a commercial promoting a franchise doing paint removal using a special power washer, haven’t seen it in a while though.

i would be worried it will just start shredding the deck much more than it already is. when i bought the house 18 years ago the deck was newer but was never properly treated and a power washer would just rip up even more of it. back then I tried a small section of the deck with a power washer and granted I didnt know what I was doing but that small spot is still messed up.

at this point the next step is to at least get one coat done hopefully later today before any rain comes and I am bringing back the sander today too.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Somewhat hyperbole, but ASAP. Wax is going to last way longer/perform the same function as the clear coat. When I did it to a car, I wound up redoing it 6 months later.

The wax helps shed water/ice too, which is nice.
I need to pick some up,
but definitely will treat them.
Any brand/formula you recommend?

iman29

i would be worried it will just start shredding the deck much more than it already is. when i bought the house 18 years ago the deck was newer but was never properly treated and a power washer would just rip up even more of it. back then I tried a small section of the deck with a power washer and granted I didnt know what I was doing but that small spot is still messed up.

at this point the next step is to at least get one coat done hopefully later today before any rain comes and I am bringing back the sander today too.

Decided to give up a lunch ride today instead of dealing with this on the weekend or run the risk of a pop up thunderstorm making the deck wet. Plus if I went for a ride while this was unfinished I would get the stink eye at home.

Got 2 coats done today and the sun beats on the deck mid day so it certainly helped the drying time. I have a few spots I will need to fill in with wood filler and maybe some liquid hardener to bind some of the splintering spots together and avoid someone getting stabbed in the foot but it looks good enough for me.

Now I can start setting up the deck canopy and furniture and do some work from home time out there instead of the basement dungeon.

9EBE3D7C-AD6B-47CD-AA64-954B85DA4F57.jpeg
212A755B-E723-422A-A4B5-189C39DA6695.jpeg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i guess this can serve as a reminder that i should pull ours out and give a quick once over with the vacuum :(

iman29

It’s nice when sometimes the DIY choice does NOT turn into a clusterF.

My Stihl line trimmer must be over 10 years old and I have to admit I have done zero service on it. A few weeks ago I could not get it to start after the primer bulb cracked from dry rot and I debated to buy an eBay replacement carb. Then I started reading all the reviews of what didn’t fit and things leaking and decided the hassle wasn’t worth it. Went down to the local lawn and garden place this past week where they are a premium Stihl retailer and spent the $55 for an OEM one. Also replaced the fuel line and tank filter.

Decided today was a good day to replace it and it literally took 10 minutes and it’s done. Started up from cold on the 2nd pull.

Hopefully good for another 10+ years.

58FD1A62-F1F3-4837-ABC4-B52E4BC2BC19.jpeg28E127FC-78EC-4523-8307-5CE50AD1EB77.jpeg80EBEA05-0CFF-4DC4-A180-1D02FE67F4B5.jpeg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It’s nice when sometimes the DIY choice does NOT turn into a clusterF.

My Stihl line trimmer must be over 10 years old and I have to admit I have done zero service on it. A few weeks ago I could not get it to start after the primer bulb cracked from dry rot and I debated to buy an eBay replacement carb. Then I started reading all the reviews of what didn’t fit and things leaking and decided the hassle wasn’t worth it. Went down to the local lawn and garden place this past week where they are a premium Stihl retailer and spent the $55 for an OEM one. Also replaced the fuel line and tank filter.

Decided today was a good day to replace it and it literally took 10 minutes and it’s done. Started up from cold on the 2nd pull.

Hopefully good for another 10+ years.

View attachment 158719View attachment 158720View attachment 158721
You were due for some easy. Lol

serviceguy

I miss my several hundred CDs stored back in the mothership, and decided to give a go to the small sampler I brought over using something better than a PC. Enter project restore mini component hifi system. 3 x CD rotating table, peasant dolby surround and ....drumroll...double cassette deck! 25 years ago I even purchased a super woofer for it.

sony1.jpg

This thing has made it over the Atlantic at least 4 times due to job change, relocations etc. Unfortunately, after sitting in an attic in Clifton for several years, the belts that rotate the tray and move it back and forth to load the CDs literally melted away and flicked themselves on the internal components. I've been seriously considering throwing the whole thing away but couldn't get myself to do it. So today I decided to remove the outer shell and the problem at hand became pretty obvious (I never opened this thing before, or I could have rewired the internal transformer to use it at 220V on the mothership instead of rigging an expensive transformer to brig the native 220V to the necessary 110V).

Improvised a tray rotation drive belt using a 22mm I.D. o-ring and a tray forward/backward drive belt cutting a section of a dead plus tire tube...et voila' it works again, good sound at an unbeatable price (compared to a real stereo system is crap but I'm in no position to get a proper stereo / home theater system, so it will have to do).

sony2.jpg
Next step, rigging it to the television to make a peasant home theater.

I'll probably spray the metal frame with some rust converter before it comes apart, apparently some humidity got to it at some point and the steel has rusted at the bottom.

Finally, I've found an original set of belts for it and placed an order, $11 with free shipping from Greece...will probably replace with o-rings of the correct size.

Top Bottom