Why can't we have jumps?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are jumps everywhere, they’re governed by Fight Club rules, as they should.
This.

Not so long ago one of our local favorites (don’t feel like naming it but you probably know) threw a legit 12’ or so gap jump on the new trail they were cutting. It lasted maybe a month before some kid, that probably shouldn’t have been trying it in the first place, came up short and blew up his wrists. In comes Karen.

It was a brand new trail in a popular park and the very first feature was a massive gap jump.... not exactly subtle (it was pretty damn awesome tho). Sketchy hits need to be out of direct view of the masses.

I was once told by a Jorba lead that they can’t build anything artificial, ie using cut lumber, but they could technically build all the table tops they want because they are just big piles of dirt with a lip.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have to disagree with that and actually feel there should be at least a pump track at every popular park.

Mtn Creek is awesome but it's a 1.5 hours for me each way. I got there 3x last summer and usually have to relearn the lines each time first run. If my local park had a smaller jump line I could keep "tuned" during the week.

And what about the kids? Getting to Creek can be a lot of money for them and time for their family. More local places for kids to ride I feel is a great thing. And go to any park and a group of kids will be hitting whatever jumps they can find. I would much rather them learn on stuff that is well built, has various levels for ability and in a controlled area than some shitty cheese wedge made out of sticks going to a gnarly LZ.

On a side note - I saw some recent videos from High Bridge and it looked like some well done changes were made. Like KenS said it takes a while to get well done flow trail. I hope that High Bridge model spread around to more NJ parks.
I think pump tracks are a great opportunity, especially when you have people like Dave King building them to make a living. Can cater to multiple skill levels, which is something that is really hard to do with jump lines where you need a lot of room to build different size lines. And if you make the paved ones, maintenance goes WAY down. However I am concerned about paved pump tracks being mis-built. Like we have all seen skateparks that are junk. Just think if the first version of the HB flow trails was paved, it would have been a failure.

Not so long ago one of our local favorites (don’t feel like naming it but you probably know) threw a legit 12’ or so gap jump on the new trail they were cutting. It lasted maybe a month before some kid, that probably shouldn’t have been trying it in the first place, came up short and blew up his wrists. In comes Karen.

It was a brand new trail in a popular park and the very first feature was a massive gap jump.... not exactly subtle (it was pretty damn awesome tho). Sketchy hits need to be out of direct view of the masses.

I was once told by a Jorba lead that they can’t build anything artificial, ie using cut lumber, but they could technically build all the table tops they want because they are just big piles of dirt with a lip.
There is an art to picking a location.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
...more NJ parks.

The cool thing is the town is bought-in to the idea of being a destination for cyclists being the end of the Columbia Trail.
The initial parts of Nassau System were successful, an expansion was pitched, improvements, connections -
little pump track, flow trails. All with the blessing of the town (due to solid individual efforts)

It was all very cool, and in government glacial time frames, they are the exception. I think they started digging in 2013 (???)

@Jeffreywoliver - is there a documented history? The High Bridge website seems to be unmaintained

those are grade reversals for water management. Sometimes there is more water to deal with than others.

Cassinonorth

The litigation thing always confused me. Like, do the laws in New Jersey make the parks more vulnerable to lawsuits? Or is it a population density thing?
I ride in New England regularly and it’s a free for all there. Some trails are basically dh without the lifts.

The stuff in the PNW is absolutely bonkers. I believe a bunch of it is on private land though that I watch.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In for table top building.

I was going to post about Stowe and the table tops & berms. Solid bunch of work there and no wood structures. You have some trails (like Flo) that my expert-level stepson and novice daughter can both ride and have a blast. Actually you could say the same for some trails at Killington. Turn every gap into a tabletop and you can easily please all the crowd. But testosterone usually demands gaps, which breaks people, which closes things up.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was going to post about Stowe and the table tops & berms. Solid bunch of work there and no wood structures. You have some trails (like Flo) that my expert-level stepson and novice daughter can both ride and have a blast. Actually you could say the same for some trails at Killington. Turn every gap into a tabletop and you can easily please all the crowd. But testosterone usually demands gaps, which breaks people, which closes things up.
Aren’t pretty much all the jumps at creek tabletops?

when you build jumps by hand, a table top is much more work, it really has nothing to do with testosterone. When you start getting beyond an 8’ distance between just and landing. A tabletop just doesn’t make sense.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's

when you build jumps by hand, a table top is much more work, it really has nothing to do with testosterone. When you start getting beyond an 8’ distance between just and landing. A tabletop just doesn’t make sense.
Doubles are totally mental and something I still struggle with. I’ve hit some massive tables... but I can’t shake the idea of nosing short on a double. I’m getting better with it tho... it’s literally the same as hitting a big table just don’t think about gap.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

But the premise of this thread suggested legal jumps - not off-radar shovel smacking. I'm looking at this from a legal perspective which is why the stuff that does get built legally doesn't have a massive gap of doom in it. Like I said to you in text, bring in the machines. Like I also said, small chance of this in NJ.

In reality you don't need to fill the gap with dirt. Fill it with rocks. Styrofoam peanuts. Or just peanuts. The problem with gaps is that you have to be on-point every time. Table tops give you much more room for being human.

Don't get me wrong, gaps have their place. But as was alluded to earlier in this thread, putting a 12' gap in the main line of a park is...let's say questionable.

don

In for table top building.

That Flo line is an amazing line and I'd kill for one here in NJ. When I was up there last summer I rode it at least a half dozen times in one trip and saw so many levels of riders. What stood out to me were the number of kids and ladies running it and having a blast. Like you said multi-level. The table tops on that line aren't super great and probably due to the amount of riders on it. I felt the tables right at the end were a little "dudy" where you are warmed up and want something twice the size. Maybe a second bigger line at the very end/bottom could be done.

The more fun stuff seemed to be the jumpable roller sections and of course the berms.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The table tops on that line aren't super great and probably due to the amount of riders on it.

IMO/IME this always depends on what time of year you hit stuff like this. You get a little rain on a Thu/Fri right before a gorgeous weekend and by Monday shit is burned up. Sort of like hitting KT after that festival they have every year.

But I'm guessing. We were there Labor Day and everything seemed pretty crisp. Looked to me like they had put in some work at the end of the summer for sure. But I am a hack so take this for what it's worth.

Reactions: don

don

All the "sets" at Wheelmill and Ray's are tables too. Tables are great they just have to be built well.

For a public setup I would say table top all day long. Nevermind what Norm said about liability but if built "thick" the amount of maintenence should go down a lot as backsides and sides won't be crumbling after every winter season. And going back to Norm's liability a table should look a lot more tame to park managers.

With machines and material up to a 20' table isn't bad at all - they just have to be made correctly.

I also have seen hybrid where the setup looks like a snowboard jump. Big swell for the landing and a stand alone lip (usually made out of wood).

Top Bottom