Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

phillychris498

Okay, I'm breaking down the tape and do not understand how you rode out of this feature so smoothly the way your back wheel got stuck between the rock and the log. Look at that!

1619578083894.png

And, somehow, the force from that hole sent your back wheel a few feet up in the air. I need to retake high school physics, I guess....

1619578197581.png

@Patrick

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Okay, I'm breaking down the tape and do not understand how you rode out of this feature so smoothly the way your back wheel got stuck between the rock and the log. Look at that!

View attachment 156594

And, somehow, the force from that hole sent your back wheel a few feet up in the air. I need to retake high school physics, I guess....

View attachment 156595

@Patrick
Fatbikes don't follow the standard model!

Patrick

Staff member
Let me know when you wanna go @phillychris498 and i can show you ALL the lines! (well, all i know anyway, there are likely more) Happy Birthday btw!

I'll run the camera - just give me a 20 minute head start to get up there. :D

BTW: Bring bug spray. Flies and mosquitoes seem to be having a good spring.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm good for Wednesday.
I'll do an intro ride later this year tho.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Really depends on my work schedule and the weather but Wed-Friday later afternoon seems to be working so far. Would be better positioned to make a call Monday. I was able to sneak out there today and conditions were good but of course rain tomorrow makes that irrelevant. I did hit some new lines i've never tried before, including Pat's wheel-eating rock-log gap. Someone has been scratching arrows onto some of the lines on 3 Amigos so that might help people find the "hidden in plain sight" rock lines assuming the arrows survive the rain. Also agree with Patrick that there are some terrible spots on River Bed Connector that need attention. I will devise a plan.
20210428_175109.jpg

20210428_181732.jpg

20210428_182035.jpg

Attachments

• 20210428_182035.jpg
    20210428_182035.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member

i pulled the sticks out of this one on tuesday. I don't remember it being this big of a problem spot.

I saw all those.
This is one of my favorite lines to hate.
Front wheel buried-OTB feature on the fat bike.
The pic doesn't do it justice.
I guess that is what the scratched in diamond means near the line on the right.

Need to bring in a rake to restore the switchback on New Shoes - That hiker's cut is no fun.
Also proposing a switchback at the 34:00 mark of this: https://www.strava.com/activities/5202282904
adding a couple of alternate rock features, with go-arounds.
It starts just before where the tree and large boulder make a gate, providing some interest rather than a fall line trail.
(although coming down, there are some "features")

jklett

A little wet on maple flats and up on the monkey but otherwise really good today. Thanks for clearing up around some of the features, it's always fun to hit one when hikers are coming by and you feel like a rock star(thankfully nobody saw me on the troll bridge where I almost took a bath in the creek, just a wet foot and a few new scratches on the frame).

Patrick

Staff member
It will likely never be dry (and seems to have gotten worse somehow), but we will armor over the whole section. It's on the list!

i never checked if something clogged that little stream - it does seem to be worse.
the section before the approach to the stream has also gotten worse - where the line is left around the rock,
or over it (mostly over it)

IMG_7956.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions