Brakes part 2.

Ron

So I bled the stock SRAM Guide RSC brakes on Friday night. Lever is very nice now. But long downhills I get a lot of brake fade.

What rotors and pads do you all recommend?

Karate Monkey

Long downhills? What's long? What's heavy braking?

Are your pads glazing? Rotors discolored?

Need more information to make more informed recommendations.

Ron

Long downhills? What's long? What's heavy braking?

Are your pads glazing? Rotors discolored?

Need more information to make more informed recommendations.
Rotors are not discolored. I am assuming it is the pads glazing/overheating. Stock pads. The lever is still solid but the pads are not grabbing.

Yesterday was at allamuchy. We did the climb from the lake on the white trail going towards the parking lot. The downhill that ends with the sharp right to head back towards the road. It is the kinda washed out downhill.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rotors are not discolored. I am assuming it is the pads glazing/overheating. Stock pads. The lever is still solid but the pads are not grabbing.

Yesterday was at allamuchy. We did the climb from the lake on the white trail going towards the parking lot. The downhill that ends with the sharp right to head back towards the road. It is the kinda washed out downhill.
Pads most likely contaminated, just get new pads and clean rotors really well . Nothing at allamuchy is long or steep enough to overheat those brakes

Karate Monkey

Agree. Switch to metal compound pads if you don't find an improvement to your liking. Brakes--properly bedded--should not fade on minute-long downhills. Either your rotors are massively outclassed (unlikely if you can lock them up without incident on a downhill), or your brake pads are no good.

Fading is an issue for dragging brakes continuously, or heavy braking downhill (think 25 to 5 in a hundred feet).

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My rotors and pads keep getting contaminated. I clean them and they are good for a few rides and then they start making noise and not really working. Even replaced the rotors and pads once. Why can't stuff just work?

@JimN tell your wife to pack her bags, we found your soul mate.

I like going downhill, I just do it slower than everyone else on the planet 😜

jackx

So I bled the stock SRAM Guide RSC brakes on Friday night. Lever is very nice now. But long downhills I get a lot of brake fade.

What rotors and pads do you all recommend?

I bled my G2 RSC rear brake last weekend, cleaned the piston edges, and installed new pads.

My lever was fine before bleeding, but some pistons wouldn't retract and I was getting a lot of drag.

Stock pads were organic and wore quickly. After this recent bleed, I switched to SRAM Metallic pads. I did a very thorough job bedding-in the new pads, and during the process the brakes howled a bit, so I was afraid they would be noisy on the trails after each stream crossing.

Fortunately, the new metallic pads performed very well at Stephen's SP, and they did not make any noise after getting wet from 3 or 4 stream crossings.

SRAM recommends switching pad material when switching rotors, but I didn't. I am using SRAM Centerline 180mm center lock rotors.

Top Bottom