Pedals for me

lou_b_83

I have used Shimano M520 Clipless Pedals They lasted about 6 months. I have used Wellgo WAM-M3 Pedals. They lasted 2 months (POS/never buy again). Is there a pedal for $60 or less that will last a little longer. Thinking of trying a set of Crank Brothers Candys but will they take hitting the rocks of Ringwood and keep going? The Time ATAC Alium look like they will hold up but do get kind of pricey for me (Are they worth $100?) I do allot of riding. At lest 3 times a week. Any help will be great. Thanks. And yes I do beat them off rocks but that is mountain biking for yea. :cool:

Shaggz

A strong 7
take a look at the Candys. Similar to eggbeaters, but with composite platforms. I had egg beaters, but kept snapping off the "wings" on rocks. They can be found within $10 of your price range if you search on line. Added benefit is the Crank Bros customer service. I have never had any probs sending pedals back for rebuild/replacement after they broke, no questions asked, 7-10 days TAT.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I just broke my second Crank Brothers pedal spindle yesterday up at Skyline/Ringwood (not from contact, from torquing up a climb!). I like the design of their pedals, but I'm done riding them.

syadasti

Wet Rag
I have some look quartz in excellent condition:
[spam]http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6778[/spam]

I am to invested in times on all my other bikes (plus I'd need separate shoes) and the performance difference between the two was not significant to go one way or the other. They are definitely better than eggbeaters and their bearing setup looks very good.

Mavic is going to start making MTB pedals soon.

lou_b_83

I just broke my second Crank Brothers pedal spindle yesterday up at Skyline/Ringwood (not from contact, from torquing up a climb!). I like the design of their pedals, but I'm done riding them.

What are you going to use?:hmmm:

lou_b_83

I have some look quartz in excellent condition:
[spam]http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6778[/spam]

I am to invested in times on all my other bikes (plus I'd need separate shoes) and the performance difference between the two was not significant to go one way or the other. They are definitely better than eggbeaters and their bearing setup looks very good.

Mavic is going to start making MTB pedals soon.

How are these when it comes to taking a beating?

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
I've been intrigued by the Looks, but the reports about them being way too easy to pull out of definitely put me off. I'll probably end up with Time. I've got some ATAC Z's on my freeride bike that have been great for the past two years. I just wish they were a bit lighter- nothing can touch Crank Brothers (or Look) in the weight department.

syadasti

Wet Rag
I've been intrigued by the Looks, but the reports about them being way too easy to pull out of definitely put me off. I'll probably end up with Time. I've got some ATAC Z's on my freeride bike that have been great for the past two years. I just wish they were a bit lighter- nothing can touch Crank Brothers (or Look) in the weight department.

As far as security I've found crankbrothers to be worst other than the mallets (hits release the retension spring on the other side). Look have separate mechanisms so its not an issue. Clip-in/out feel most like crankbrothers. I prefer the current time (XE and higher I believe?) with the shaped retention bars and slot in the bars:

atacxx.jpg

atacshapedbar.jpg

I don't think too many know the long term durability of Look pedals as they are too new. I only used mine a few rides before I decide there wasn't a significant reason to switch so I have no idea.

I once had a pair of Time ATAC Z pedals at Diablo that lasted 6 runs (I unclipped at the bottom of the run and part of the pedal body was missing). Time CS/warranty sucks compared to crankbrother though crankbrothers pedals need it much more often.

Last edited:

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
I once had a pair of Time ATAC Z pedals at Diablo that lasted 6 runs (I unclipped at the bottom of the run and part of the pedal body was missing).

Yikes. I bought mine used from a friend, and they've since lasted 2+ years through Diablo, Platty, Highland, Ninham, Glen Park, Skyline, etc., so nothing but positives from me.

I used CB Mallets on my Freeride bike before the Times, and broke a spindle on those rolling off a 6" curb in front of my house while tuning up the bike for a ride. :( (the upside was that CB sent out a rebuild kit and new axles for both pedals- even the one that didn't break- no questions asked. As everyone says, the CS is very good).

lou_b_83

Have you ever run into a problem with bending the brass:)confused:) cleat? I am thinking that those would ether bend or wearing down pritty fast.

Now I don't know what I am going to do now. Maybe just go back to Shimano 540

BiknBen

Last edited:

syadasti

Wet Rag
The oldest time style is rumored to be the most durable but the new shaped retention wings with the slot are easier to engage, have tension adjustment in most models, and have more positive engagement feel.

Time cleats are decent, its the crankbrothers that wear down fast on the cheap cleat. Look has a steel cleat which is even better.

mwlikesbikes

I vote for Shimano

I've used SPDs for years. Had 747s that I beat the snot out of. I currently have 959s on the FS bike that are about 4 years old. They're all scratched, abused, and beat up from rocks and such but still hold my feet great, I never get stuck in them. When I built my new HT this summer I went for the XT 770 pedals. I can't say how the other brands are cuz shimano is all I know!

xc62701

I've put my crank brother SL pedals through hell and they have been great. Customer service is top notch and I have had no issues with with them.

VanDbtRiver

i picked up some xtr's not long ago. they work fine...nothing incredible, they do what they are supposed to. it seems like they are more sensitive to worn cleats than the 520's in that when i switch to my winter shoes (old cleats) they break out easily, and i dont like that...cuz it sucks.

kush

i should say I have both Time ATAC XS and Crank SLs.

Functionally, I like them both almost equally. The eggbeaters are neat because you can clip either traditionally forwards, or by sliding your foot backwards. If you're into the non-traditional sort of thing.

No issue with SLs, and they do get beat up.

Time bearings were shot after 3 months.

But it is kind of like religion. Or tires.

Top Bottom