GX AXS Lives!

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They know. I rode several different 3d printed versions of the upgrade Jeremy has and liked the one they didn't produce. Apparently Nino's opinion carries more weight than mine 🤣🤣

they should just take the mechanical lever and use that positioning.
I know how that sounds and that’s probably why they won’t do it, but the benefits of Eagle AXS is not the shifter.
They can make the shifter look different, they just need the buttons where the levers used to be. When I ride a mechanical shifter it’s a much more natural feel.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
they should just take the mechanical lever and use that positioning.
I know how that sounds and that’s probably why they won’t do it, but the benefits of Eagle AXS is not the shifter.
They can make the shifter look different, they just need the buttons where the levers used to be. When I ride a mechanical shifter it’s a much more natural feel.

with them coming out with more affordable models, I wonder if this is an aftermarket opportunity?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I always thought instead of having the rocker rotate and hit the buttons forward/backward, that the button should be on the side of the unit so the rocker goes down with the thumb in the same direction as mechanical. Realistically it's a pretty easy hack. Maybe I'll give one to my son to prototype.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Damn I’ve been looking all over and can’t find stock.
I need this

which I9 wheels are those ?
We have ten on hand at halters
F4C505EC-9095-4FBF-A801-A57BBC3FAC0A.jpeg

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seems like a valid option since the road groups basically use that concept

i agree. Not sure why they tried to fix something that was not broken.

with all the complaining about the lever done, I should say the actual shifting is perfect.
You can adjust each shift (if you even need to) so it never over or under shifts on any gear.
It’s great when drop down a hill and just tap 4 or 5 times to get in a high gear.
Or vice versa and you are heading up a hill, you tap as many times as you need to get in a low gear and it’s pretty much instantaneous.
These are the situations where you appreciate AXS the most. That and the install which takes 5 minutes.

goldsbar

i agree. Not sure why they tried to fix something that was not broken.

with all the complaining about the lever done, I should say the actual shifting is perfect.
You can adjust each shift (if you even need to) so it never over or under shifts on any gear.
It’s great when drop down a hill and just tap 4 or 5 times to get in a high gear.
Or vice versa and you are heading up a hill, you tap as many times as you need to get in a low gear and it’s pretty much instantaneous.
These are the situations where you appreciate AXS the most. That and the install which takes 5 minutes.
Fully concur. Now that I have the lever in a fairly decent position and am getting used to which way shifts up/down, must say the shifting is fairly amazing. And that's on a worn cassette that really needs to be changed. I always hesitated to shift more than one gear with the mechanical shifters as the sounds coming off the cassette just weren't very pleasant.

All that said, I do feel like I had to spend $600 to fix a somewhat flawed and finicky system to begin with. Would have never felt the need on my other bike with 10-speed Shimano.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What do I need to install this on my Pivot 429 trail? Im Full shimano XT 11 speed at the moment. Original since 2016. With a One up 30 tooth chainring

Ian F

What do I need to install this on my Pivot 429 trail? Im Full shimano XT 11 speed at the moment. Original since 2016. With a One up 30 tooth chainring
The big cost will likely be the XD hub body (assuming your hub can be converted easily) and the 12 spd cassette (which is OMFG-expensive).

I've read 12 spd Shimano cassettes have the same cog spacing as SRAM cassettes and they are interchangeable, but I don't have personal experience with it (yet - stay tuned). However, in your case, you will still need to get a Microspline hub body in place of the HG body and a 12 spd cassette, although it seems the lower end Shimano 12 spd cassettes are more reasonably priced than the SRAM options (assuming you can find one in stock right now).

Ian F

I did not know this! It makes the package much nicer.
Imagine the bars on a single speed bike - only brake lines. Especially if you add a Reverb AXS wireless dropper.

Honestly, the idea of such a clean cockpit is what draws me to AXS, despite being a very long time Shimano user.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The big cost will likely be the XD hub body (assuming your hub can be converted easily) and the 12 spd cassette (which is OMFG-expensive).

I've read 12 spd Shimano cassettes have the same cog spacing as SRAM cassettes and they are interchangeable, but I don't have personal experience with it (yet - stay tuned). However, in your case, you will still need to get a Microspline hub body in place of the HG body and a 12 spd cassette, although it seems the lower end Shimano 12 spd cassettes are more reasonably priced than the SRAM options (assuming you can find one in stock right now).
Seems like a huge expenses to make the switch. If you already had a sram wide range cassette. Would be a great upgrade. I'm not spending 1k to do it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Imagine the bars on a single speed bike - only brake lines. Especially if you add a Reverb AXS wireless dropper.

Honestly, the idea of such a clean cockpit is what draws me to AXS, despite being a very long time Shimano user.
The reduced cost of Gx Is a major factor. Makes me much more inclined to try it with my 12 speed shimano.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The reduced cost of Gx Is a major factor. Makes me much more inclined to try it with my 12 speed shimano.
Supposedly that's the hot ticket. Shimano cassette and chain with SRAM derailleur and shifter. Shift up and down under power. And less cost.

No personal experience, my 11sp works fine.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Supposedly that's the hot ticket. Shimano cassette and chain with SRAM derailleur and shifter. Shift up and down under power. And less cost.

No personal experience, my 11sp works fine.
Shimano cassettes and chains have always had a leg up on sram

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Just ordered up a 32t 12sp chainring.
going fat and stupid! I’m not sure why I don’t leave the 30t on there

gx chain, which ever sram 12sp dome I purchased on here, and xx1 axs

wish me luck.

Top Bottom