Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Braap.

20210420_094822.jpg

Steve Vai

Curious do you run 4 water bottles for the Rando because you want to stop less time at checkpoints?

I'll only run 4 bottles when I plan on going hard and not stopping at all, other than to scan QR Codes. For most Brevets I only have 2 bottles and stop at all the Controls to refuel and socialize a bit. Hopefully the wind behaves to allow a fast day.

Steve Vai

I'm running a 46t up front with a 10-36 cassette. It works well for me. The top speed on flat is about 35mph at 100rpm in the 46x10. That's plenty fast. And I climb standing almost 100% of the time so I don't miss the low end much.

serviceguy

I'm running a 46t up front with a 10-36 cassette. It works well for me. The top speed on flat is about 35mph at 100rpm in the 46x10. That's plenty fast. And I climb standing almost 100% of the time so I don't miss the low end much.
Speaking of which...I used to pedal standing up all the time when I was a kid (that is up to 30sh, when I stopped riding a bike). I seem to have un-learned that technique now, I really have a hard time doing it, feels really uncomfortable and weird...same with riding without holding the handlebars, still can do it but barely...is it just a question of practice? I though riding a bike was like...riding a bike!?!? WTF!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Speaking of which...I used to pedal standing up all the time when I was a kid (that is up to 30sh, when I stopped riding a bike). I seem to have un-learned that technique now, I really have a hard time doing it, feels really uncomfortable and weird...same with riding without holding the handlebars, still can do it but barely...is it just a question of practice? I though riding a bike was like...riding a bike!?!? WTF!
Yes, practice. If standing up and pedaling feels weird, try it in a harder gear and make sure your weight is in front of your saddle. I can’t relate but I have some people who just look awkward when pedaling standing up.

JDurk

You don't stand when pedaling your SS up a hill?

Last edited:

iman29

Yes, practice. If standing up and pedaling feels weird, try it in a harder gear and make sure your weight is in front of your saddle. I can’t relate but I have some people who just look awkward when pedaling standing up.
Agree. it’s more about being in a slightly harder gear and using Bodyweight on the downside of the pedal stroke. I know with MTB there’s also the terrain and grip differences to road climbing but in general getting the weight more forward will also help.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Wonder how much bike geo plays into this
I find it that it feels more natural to stand up and pedal on my XC bike more so than on my trail bike.

JDurk

There is also the third SS position which i use when climbing.
1. sit
2. stand
or
3. WALK
I find it that it feels more natural to stand up and pedal on my XC bike more so than on my trail bike.
Possible. However, I find I sit and spin more on my FS, than on the geared HT. With the rigid SS, see reply to @Patrick . All 3 are similar in geometry. I can lockout all suspension on both and make them full rigid, then it's like riding the SS.

Steve Vai

1. sit
2. stand
or
3. WALK

Possible. However, I find I sit and spin more on my FS, than on the geared HT. With the rigid SS, see reply to @Patrick . All 3 are similar in geometry. I can lockout all suspension on both and make them full rigid, then it's like riding the SS.

This is reverse as 1st gear refers to the easiest, which in SS terms is Walking. 3rd gear would be Sitting.

serviceguy

You don't stand when pedaling your SS up a hill?
I do but it feels really weird when I do, and I tend to ride easier trails when on the SS.

The SS might just be a garage queen.
all of my bikes are garage queens, who do you think you are talking about? Amateur comedians, sheesh!

He runs 1:1 on the SS so he can stay seated at all times.
Almost, 28x16 (16 in the front ;) )

There is also the third SS position which i use when climbing.
I knew this one but I can't think of it right now.

Only SS I own is the white El Mar, so old geometry.
1. sit
2. stand
or
3. WALK
Ah, right.
This is reverse as 1st gear refers to the easiest, which in SS terms is Walking. 3rd gear would be Sitting.
The uk version is reversed
Blaabalablablaaa.....

mfennell

.same with riding without holding the handlebars, still can do it but barely...is it just a question of practice? I though riding a bike was like...riding a bike!?!? WTF!

I've found it doesn't take much friction in the headset to totally screw up riding no-handed.

Top Bottom