This is NOT the greatest blog in the world, no. This is just a tribute!

thegock

When are you leaving for the southern death zone?

SEAT BELT IMG_20200323_125323-01.jpg

Kaleidopete

Hey so I totally forgot the big news in September while doing my update this morning. I joined the cancer club - got diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on my left shoulder. So this is what is weird - a strange mole appeared on my right shoulder a few months ago and got bigger. Made an appointment with a local dermatologist and he did a full body exam. He looks at the big mole and says, "that's nothing. But this little one on your left shoulder is suspicious." I didn't even notice it, I just thought it was a scab from a recent mountain bike close encounter with a tree. 2 weeks later, pathology report confirms the big scary mole was benign, but the little one was cancer. Had I not seen the big mole, it's likely I wouldn't have gone to a dermatologist until next year. That could have been really bad.

In any event, went back this afternoon for a much bigger excision. Assuming pathology shows the perimeters are clean, that's the end of it. But will get twice annual exams from now on. Don't put this off if you've never had a skin exam.

Looks like no mountain biking until the sutures come out in 2 weeks - boo!

View attachment 141337
Good catch! Heal up. I had similar years ago, top of ear looked bad so they sliced off the bad and now all is good. Keep checking!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Warning about last minute road work. Came across two flagmen controlling traffic - first in Raritan, ran into @Carson in his stealth cop car - had a little chat. Second one was the problem - coming down the other side of Longhill, I slowed down for some fat clown holding a stop sign. He talks into his radio and waves me thru. I pick up speed, fly around a corner and there's a huge truck taking up the entire road. I slammed on the brakes to avoid crashing into him and between the slick road and some wet leaves, the rear wheel of my bike starts to fishtail 30 degrees in each direction. I was actually amazed I didn't crash. Anywho, be careful out there.
Great practical joke @Carson

jackx

Warning about last minute road work. Came across two flagmen controlling traffic - first in Raritan, ran into @Carson in his stealth cop car - had a little chat. Second one was the problem - coming down the other side of Longhill, I slowed down for some fat clown holding a stop sign. He talks into his radio and waves me thru. I pick up speed, fly around a corner and there's a huge truck taking up the entire road. I slammed on the brakes to avoid crashing into him and between the slick road and some wet leaves, the rear wheel of my bike starts to fishtail 30 degrees in each direction. I was actually amazed I didn't crash. Anywho, be careful out there.
That sucks. Hopefully your Rapha Cannondale doesn't fish-tail as bad as an old Mustang or an old Joe.

mfennell

In any event, I decided to look back at the last four full years of retirement, and here's the basic cycling data:

2017 6083 miles, 424 hours, 230 rides
2018 8380 miles, 534 hours, 275 rides
2019 7616 miles, 496 hours, 257 rides
2020 7388 miles, 493 hours, 287 rides

I seem to be averaging about 500 hours riding time and 270 rides or so, with mileage trending down. Lower miles, same hours, more rides = more mountain bike rides in the balance. Or maybe just more shorter rides. Will have to dig deeper but the goal is more mountain bike rides this year. And also plan to increase riding intensity again after slacking off in 2020.
The thread title is so dumb i never clicked on it. :)

Those are great numbers and feel 'right' in a I-love-to-ride-but-I'm-not-insane sense. I hope to see similar activity when it's my time (10ish yrs to go). 1100 hour guy - that's a halftime job!

For the record, 380hrs, 6100 miles. Personal record by nearly 80 hours.

Top Bottom