The 2021 lawn thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I see green! Won't be long now.
Get the oil changed and the blades sharp.
384C717D-3DB4-4969-BF2E-475B45125F47.jpeg

I refreshed the Stan's in the front tires, and noticed a wobble. Exploded bearing. Luckily big orange had the part

C2BB534E-CA76-43A0-8043-39A49D7B9BC0.jpeg

Last edited:

Mahnken

Gonna throw down some more micro-clover seed. Was quite nice not turning on the sprinklers last year and still having a green lawn that only needed mowing every two weeks instead of getting out of control in a week 😁

iman29

Ugh I was thinking how mine is turning greener faster than I thought it would. and the front lawn has one big section where the snow was the last to melt a few weeks ago because it gets the least sun. Now it’s all dead grass that needs to be thatched thinking if renting a machine. Just thinking tho not doing anything about it yet.

ekuhn

Signed up with TruGreen a few weeks ago. First application is going to be sometime this week.

I have some spot repairs to do. I did aerate and overseed last year , but was using one of the garden tractor cinder block aerator and spread seed with my Scotts spreader. Hoping it makes a difference.

I have some variety of annual rye grass I assume that gets super brown and dead, but does come back and not as a bare spots. Its mixed in throughout but looks like crap in the larger areas.

Think my first mow will be in a week or two!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Read this tip years ago, but never tried it until this year because embarrassment.
The tip being early spring maintenance: vacuum gravel off your lawn.
Never had it as bad I did this year for whatever reason,
so gave it a throw.

Got out with a shop vac and vacuumed a small section of the lawn.
Upshot: I pulled up a 5 gallon bucket of thatch and gravel,
and my neighbors now think I've gone full pandemic and are leaving me alone.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Signed up with TruGreen a few weeks ago. First application is going to be sometime this week.
I was convinced that these companies over treat the lawn, and so we dropped our contract last year.
We had a crap lawn all year.
Re-signed with the service and looking forward a green lawn again.

1TrackMind

I am trying Tru-green this year. Yard was a diasaster when we we got the house, the only good grass was where it was reseeded for the new septic. It’s an ego killer for me, I spent at least 10 summers on the greens crew for some pretty good golf courses, but when I did the math Tru-green wasn’t much more than it would cost to buy the supplies and do myself. That and I really don’t feel like putting in the time to do it.

jklett

Read this tip years ago, but never tried it until this year because embarrassment.
The tip being early spring maintenance: vacuum gravel off your lawn.
Never had it as bad I did this year for whatever reason,
so gave it a throw.

Got out with a shop vac and vacuumed a small section of the lawn.
Upshot: I pulled up a 5 gallon bucket of thatch and gravel,
and my neighbors now think I've gone full pandemic and are leaving me alone.
fuck-it-vacuum-the-grass-bruj-55777083.png

Fire Lord Jim

Getting the mowers ready. I am not a lawn fanatic. What grows gets mowed, but I'm not particular about what grows. In addition to these, I have an Exmark with velke, a string mower, and a walk behind. Whew!

Attachments

• PXL_20210403_182504709.jpg
    PXL_20210403_182504709.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 33

Patrick

Staff member
Getting the mowers ready. I am not a lawn fanatic. What grows gets mowed, but I'm not particular about what grows. In addition to these, I have an Exmark with velke, a string mower, and a walk behind. Whew!

The Pasture Prime fleet!

Other than the generator, what else ya got for accessories?

Fire Lord Jim

The Pasture Prime fleet!

Other than the generator, what else ya got for accessories?
Three tractors have PTO driven belly mowers. I have two grader blades that also push snow (530 foot driveway). Add in a single bottom moldboard plough, a chisel plough, and a disc cultivator. I also use a swisher-- an offset 5 foot mower--so I can cut an 11 foot swath on each pass.

Attachments

• 2014-08-04 14.43.59.jpg
    2014-08-04 14.43.59.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 17

Patrick

Staff member
Three tractors have PTO driven belly mowers. I have two grader blades that also push snow (530 foot driveway). Add in a single bottom moldboard plough, a chisel plough, and a disc cultivator. I also use a swisher-- an offset 5 foot mower--so I can cut an 11 foot swath on each pass.

i've never seen that little side mower thingy.

1617669812564.png

iman29

I am trying Tru-green this year. Yard was a diasaster when we we got the house, the only good grass was where it was reseeded for the new septic. It’s an ego killer for me, I spent at least 10 summers on the greens crew for some pretty good golf courses, but when I did the math Tru-green wasn’t much more than it would cost to buy the supplies and do myself. That and I really don’t feel like putting in the time to do it.
this is what I struggle with by the time i rent the dethatcher and buy all the fertilizer and seed and topsoil and then I have to go out and apply it.

It takes more than enough time to just mow it.

After years of saying F it and watching my dandelion field grow, i am seriously debating signing up for TruGreen myself this comment may have put me over the edge to try it this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom