Six mile

hooples3

Ive been looking for a new place to try out and I hear great things about 6 mile. I have to admit though I am a little deterred by the hunters as I would be going, with a friend on a Sunday. Is it safe on a sunday.. I would think a lot of Hunters would be out since they are off.
Then I hear/read on this site, that the rte 27 side is better than the canal side ( or vice versa) and that in this cooler weather the there is a stream that I may not want to cross.
So my question is..
If I am looking for a fun part to ride.. maybe 2 hrs worth, which side should i start at.. what trails should I hit and is it worth it to cross the river?
I know a lot of these questions are answered in previous posts but it gets so dam confusing sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

Wobbegong

With the rain we've had, Six Mile will most likely be a slippery mess this weekend. Just a heads up that the conditions will most likely be less than optimal.

MTBTyler

Mountain bikers have a right to that land to. And there is a great amount of land that the trails dont go through so I wouldnt worry about it.:cool: For your first time a six mile start at the canal side, down the blue trail and back the red. It takes maybe an hour at my pace. If you got the time and willing to get alittle lost hit the 27 side. The 27 side is a really great ride.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
If you go to 6 mile for the first time, DO NOT pass up the 27 side. While the canal side is coming along (especially with the new trail off the red) the 27 side is where its at. I would recommend starting from the lot on 27, cross south middle bush and take the red (avoiding the creek crossing) and take the new trail off the red and turn around when that ends....just don't miss the 27 side!

Wobbegong

Ive been looking for a new place to try out and I hear great things about 6 mile. I have to admit though I am a little deterred by the hunters as I would be going, with a friend on a Sunday. Is it safe on a sunday.. .

Hunting is illegal on Sundays. No worries there.

wonderturtle

I wouldnt bother going Sunday. I ran there the other day (on the canal side) and the trails were a sopping mess. the soil (I thinK) is clay - so they saty wet for a while. plus it is supposed rain again between now and Sunday.

not a great situation to try out 6MR for the first time. I'd wait for drier weather.

wonderturtle

I particularly love the signs on the canal side that warn you not to wear white gloves so you dont get mistaken for a white tailed dear!!

warcricket

Like a Jerk
while i wouldn't particularly recommend going this weekend, these maps might help... first is pretty much all the trails - second is an outline of the loop most people make

Attachments

• map copy.jpg
    map copy.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 188
  • map w trail.jpg
    map w trail.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 164

hooples3

thanks for all the input!!! I will wait until the weather is better (drier) even if that means next year

The Kalmyk

thanks for all the input!!! I will wait until the weather is better (drier) even if that means next year

Good choice...Not being a trail Nazi but the 6 mile experience is much better dry...Recently I tried to get my little brother into the mtbing thing so I took him to 6 Mile...The mud made his experience shitty and he hasn't massaged the thought of riding since...I still beat him down with stories of how great it is, hoping he will give it another run at it

sixseven

Good choice...Not being a trail Nazi but the 6 mile experience is much better dry...Recently I tried to get my little brother into the mtbing thing so I took him to 6 Mile...The mud made his experience shitty and he hasn't massaged the thought of riding since...I still beat him down with stories of how great it is, hoping he will give it another run at it
Give your brother a copy of ROAM. That always works.

X

xcrunner1991

Alright I hear you guys talking a lot about the canal side. Where is the canal side? The only spot that enter six mile is through the jersey knight soccer field.

The Kalmyk

Alright I hear you guys talking a lot about the canal side. Where is the canal side? The only spot that enter six mile is through the jersey knight soccer field.

Ok from Bound Brook make your way to Manville...From there go thru town toward Hillsborough...Pass the airport and go to the next light where you will make a left...Then go to your next light and make a right at the Krauzer's (River RD)...Take this for about 2/3 miles till you up to Black Wells Mills Rd where you will make a left....Go over to quick bridges and at the 4 way stop make a right and you can't miss it on your left ffrom there

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions