Port Jervis Watershed

Cassinonorth

I was there a few days ago. It's still closed and snow covered. It will be closed until the mud season is over and repairs are completed. Repairs prob won't happen until snow is gone and ground is thawed out. We are always looking for volunteers to help.

This is not a PJ only issue (in fact I'd say most trail crews are absolutely terrible with it) but I consider myself pretty savvy with finding information and finding how to volunteer to help out is almost impossible. Maybe it's a pandemic thing?

mtn

Is Painted Aprons Trail still under construction?
This is not a PJ only issue (in fact I'd say most trail crews are absolutely terrible with it) but I consider myself pretty savvy with finding information and finding how to volunteer to help out is almost impossible. Maybe it's a pandemic thing?
They have a weekly dig session on Wednesdays during the season.
But for info contact the Outdoor Club of PJ.

FlowVwade

Hey! Does anyone know how well this place handles rain? Will be in the area Saturday but there's some rain predicted for Friday night.

johnbryanpeters

Not to be an arse, but it is called a watershed for a reason. Lots of shale to deflect water.
The term watershed has nothing to do with soil or rock type:

"A watershed is an area of land that drains or “sheds” water into a specific waterbody. Every body of water has a watershed. Watersheds drain rainfall and snowmelt into streams and rivers. These smaller bodies of water flow into larger ones, including lakes, bays, and oceans. Gravity helps to guide the path that water takes across the landscape."

mtn

The term watershed has nothing to do with soil or rock type:

"A watershed is an area of land that drains or “sheds” water into a specific waterbody. Every body of water has a watershed. Watersheds drain rainfall and snowmelt into streams and rivers. These smaller bodies of water flow into larger ones, including lakes, bays, and oceans. Gravity helps to guide the path that water takes across the landscape."
I know. Those are separate statements.

xc62701

Looks like I timed it well. Me and a few buddies bikepacked and stayed at the campground last weekend. We took Cosmic Charlie on the way out. MUCH different riding that thing on 50lb packed cross bikes. It was still a blast. Although my buddy that blew a tire didn't think so. If you are looking for a great quiet place to camp, and cheap. Check out the camping up there!

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Looks like I timed it well. Me and a few buddies bikepacked and stayed at the campground last weekend. We took Cosmic Charlie on the way out. MUCH different riding that thing on 50lb packed cross bikes. It was still a blast. Although my buddy that blew a tire didn't think so. If you are looking for a great quiet place to camp, and cheap. Check out the camping up there!
They only have barebone facilities, right? No showers?

FitmanNJ

I rode Port Jervis Water Shed trails today. Despite some sprinkles in the morning, the trails weren’t muddy and they were generally in great shape. I’ve only been there once before and had forgotten how fun they are. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom