Training/Riding Nutrition for Vegetarians

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Since I don't "train" but I do ride a fair amount, I was wondering if anyone has any info or good tips for riding nutrition for vegetarians. I have been a vegetarian for 14 years now and never really thought about my nutrition much until I started road riding more. Any advice is welcome, aside from eatting meat. :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The usual question - where do you get your protein?

Spencer asked me this same thing, which prompted me to start this thread. I eat a bunch of cheese, soy products and bean burritos. From propoganda I used to read from PETA, they used to say the typical meat eater gets more protien than they need. Anyone have any insight?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From propoganda I used to read from PETA, they used to say the typical meat eater gets more protien than they need. Anyone have any insight?

I would say to drop the "typical meat eater" or "typical American" from your head entirely. Most of us here are not typical. A lot of people ride 10 hours a week or more and can tell you how many grams of saturated fat were in their dinner last night. You can get yourself reversed quickly if you assume anything.

I eat meat, but not a lot. I always assumed that I got plenty of protein. About 4 months ago I was talking to someone on the team about how flat I was feeling and they suggested my protein intake was too low. So I started tracking my food again and it was absurdly low. By the time I would get home for dinner some days I would have taken in 20 grams.

Estimates for what you should eat are .5 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. I'm in the mid 180s now and shoot for a minimum of 100. If I ride in the 1.5+ hour range, I try to shoot for 150g. If I'm off the charts (4+ hours) I'll be in the 200g realm. I find that I sleep better if I make sure I get enough.

I added an egg (or 2) to breakfast, as well as whey protein at night. Whey is much more bioavailable than soy. That just means your body can use it more efficiently to repair your muscles. There are mixed opinions on soy, and when it comes to the powders, I would say you should go for whey. I use this. They probably have it at your local Shop Rite. Do not buy chocolate flavor, it sucks.

Whole grain breads often have a good 5g a slice, a bagel will have 10g. Accelerade and many sports drinks have 5g a serving. Clif bars have 10g. Dairy of course has some but be careful on your cheeses as many have only trace amounts. I think provolone is one of the higher ones. I snack on almonds/cashews at work, which adds a little. Note that peanut butter is slightly lower on the protein (and nutrition) scale than almond/cashew butter. Combine that with beans and the amount you get in your normal diet, and you should be good.

Take that all in, put it in a blender, and maybe something useful applies to you. Nothing works for everyone, and that's my experience/approach.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Ha! this one is easy!

Since I don't "train" but I do ride a fair amount, I was wondering if anyone has any info or good tips for riding nutrition for vegetarians. I have been a vegetarian for 14 years now and never really thought about my nutrition much until I started road riding more. Any advice is welcome, aside from eatting meat. :)

This one is simple http://www.gnhealthyliving.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=247 I've been using Gary Null products for many years. He is my health and nutrition guru. His products can be ordered online or at any Vitamin Shop. I also listen to his weekly radio program on 91.5 FM Monday-Friday's at 12:00 noon. Gary had said "within 20 minutes after a hard workout take Muscle to replenish and boost recovery to working muscles" and is also a MUST for vegans. I know, I hit the nail on the head with this one, it's OK my birthday is Nov. 16th :D

RC ... :)

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Try Myoplex powder (42g protein), 15z skim milk (15g), and and scoop of Designer Protein (18g)in a blender twice a day and voila!...that along with your normal dietary intake and you'll have hit your protein goals.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Try Myoplex powder (42g protein), 15z skim milk (15g), and and scoop of Designer Protein (18g)in a blender twice a day and voila!...that along with your normal dietary intake and you'll have hit your protein goals.

That's an awfully huge hit on your kidneys. 75g of protein (60 from powders) once a day is a lot at once, let along twice a day.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
It's been done long term.

Even if you lived on nothing but skinless chicken breasts or yolkless eggs, it's virtually impossible to attain a 1::1 ratio of body weight to protein intake without big time supplementation.

Now add some creatine into the mix, work out (resistance training) and I don't guarantee you'll win any H2H races but you'll look a heckuva lot better once you step away from the bike. Legally.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Long term is good, but you might want to point that out. When I first started taking powders I would actually feel light headed for a little bit and that was only 20g a pop.

Even if you lived on nothing but skinless chicken breasts or yolkless eggs, it's virtually impossible to attain a 1::1 ratio of body weight to protein intake without big time supplementation.

All the protein is in the yolk!

I don't find it that hard to get what I need. I do supplement a little, but I also have no problem eating canned tuna/chicken/salmon for lunch or for snack. You get huge numbers that way. Granted, tuns gets really boring if you eat it every day.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks Norm for all of the numbers. This give me something to go by. I have never been the counting type when it comes to nutrition but I will probably have to start as I get older.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I've been vegetarian for 11years. I only weigh 155, but I get 100g or so of protein a day usually. I have only encounted the "bonk" once in my life so I think I am doing the whole diet thing OK. It's not just the protein though. Just eating natural unprocessed foods makes you feel so good, it's totally worth it. I just got a book about nutrition for endurance athletes. I think there is some stuff in there for guys like us. I'll dig it up in the morning and check it out.

The Kalmyk

For me it will be finding the balanced diet to assure I'm getting adequate nutrition...Here's where I will start...

fn7_vegetarian.jpg
[/IMG]

The Kalmyk

So, If I were to take whey protien after a ride is it considered a meal:confused:....I am confused between whey protien and shakes that have whey protein in them

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The word "meal" is just a word. Some days I have a 600 calorie "meal" with chicken, rice, veggies, fruit, and a piece of chocolate. Some days I have a "meal" with just a can of tuna fish (no mayo). It's just terminology.

The question is, why are you taking whey protein after a ride? What is your training goal? What is the reason behind drinking whey? What are your goals at all? Are you actually training?

I only use whey before bed. Straight whey powder, vanilla flavor, mixed with water.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I only use whey before bed. Straight whey powder, vanilla flavor, mixed with water.

Why before bed?

I use it after a 1 1/2+ hr ride to get protein and start recovery within the 45min post ride window. Or, when I don't feel like eating and it's been 4+ hours since the last meal and a few hours before the next.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why before bed?

Your body recovers/adapts while you sleep. Whey protein is the most bioavailable source of protein. So it's basically lathering the muscles with highly accessible protein right when it needs to start the recovery and adaptation process.

I use it after a 1 1/2+ hr ride to get protein and start recovery within the 45min post ride window.

Studies show that protein helps the absorption of carbs, which is why Endurox is a 4:1 carb:protein ratio. The main idea in doing this is to restock your carb stores though, not to provide protein for your muscles to start recovering, adapting, and growing.

Or, when I don't feel like eating and it's been 4+ hours since the last meal and a few hours before the next.

This is tricky, and something I personally avoid at all costs. If you create a huge calorie deficit at any point in your day, you're going to train your body that it needs to learn to adapt to having fewer calories. This is especially true mid-day, at least for me. If it's 1:00 and you've burned 1000 more calories than you've taken in, you're going to teach your body to burn fewer calories when you really want to feed it through the "high time" of the day and teach your body to be on, all the time.

As with all of these nutrition posts, I will say that YMMV. Everyone is very different and these comments are the culmination of my various years of weight loss, exercise, and training - as it pertains to me. I'm currently at my lowest weekly average weight since grade school, and these are the things that are working well for me in taking the next step down the weight ladder.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
you're going to train your body that it needs to learn to adapt to having fewer calories.

I'm already there. Been there since early high school. I live in fear of carbs and rarely eat anything hi-glycemic or not whole grain.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I battle trying to get enough calories without getting too much and tipping the scale in the wrong direction. MMDV

The Kalmyk

The question is, why are you taking whey protein after a ride? What is your training goal? What is the reason behind drinking whey? What are your goals at all? Are you actually training?

Norm...In general I just want to LIVE healthier and make good choices...This is not to be faster or stronger on a bike...If that is the result so be it...You stated you take whey protien and I assumed it was for muscle recovery after a ride...I wouldn't say I'm training or had a plan but that may happen in the future

Spence

Top Bottom