Classic bike ride, show, parade?

Fire Lord Jim

The weather is warming up, and I am thinking of a get together event: outdoors, COVID-safe. I would like to see if we have interest in such an event.

I'm thinking a lot of us have that mountain bike that was really something back in the day, and is basically a wall hanger now. You had it: cantilever brakes, DayGlo colors, elevated chain stays, a geometry designed to launch you over the bars. (If not, how sad.) I'm thinking we clean off the dust, pump up the tires, and have an old school ride - bike parade - show and tell. Someplace easy to ride, that we can get the 26x1.95 tires over: Maybe LewMo, Mercer, Six Mile, or even Columbia Trail. Pack a chair and a picnic lunch.

Who would ride their museum piece? Who would just attend for the picnic afterwards?

Updated:.
Saturday, June 12th, (rain date June 13th) is the event.

Pack your picnic, and plan to arrive 9:30 AM or so, parking at the Doe Meadow lot. Bring a chair.
We group up based on who wants to ride Lewis Morris, Patriots Path, or Jockey Hollow (paved).
26" x 1.95s on the ground, toe cages and straps or bear claws spinning at 10 AM.
Back at noon for picnic lunch, bike display, camaraderie.

Some ideas:
1. Think of how to display your bike without a kickstand (unless you have one).
2. If you are bringing several bikes (I am) bring a lock for the ones you are not going to ride.
3. Still have a jersey from the '90s? Wear it if you can fit in it!

Attachments

• 20161031_084754.jpg
    20161031_084754.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
sounds fun !

washington's crossing to lambertville ? could do a multi-stater!

Karate Monkey

I mean, I'd never count on me actually showing up to something (dates are always in flux), but I suppose I could sort out my 850, depending on how "off road" it's gonna be.

rick81721

Lothar
My oldest bike is a 2012 salsa spearfish (my first ever mountain bike). And it's in FL so the next oldest is 2016

DanBrodeen

The weather is warming up, and I am thinking of a get together event: outdoors, COVID-safe. I would like to see if we have interest in such an event.

I'm thinking a lot of us have that mountain bike that was really something back in the day, and is basically a wall hanger now. You had it: cantilever brakes, DayGlo colors, elevated chain stays, a geometry designed to launch you over the bars. (If not, how sad.) I'm thinking we clean off the dust, pump up the tires, and have an old school ride - bike parade - show and tell. Someplace easy to ride, that we can get the 26x1.95 tires over: Maybe LewMo, Mercer, Six Mile, or even Columbia Trail. Pack a chair and a picnic lunch.

Who would ride their museum piece? Who would just attend for the picnic afterwards? View attachment 153235
I was just talking to a buddy about doing a classic mountain bike pop up museum at Cranks Around the Campfire (which I think is happening this summer!) if there was enough interest. Perhaps even make it a show with attendees voting for their favorite retro rig. Thoughts @Fire Lord Jim ?

Fire Lord Jim

I was just talking to a buddy about doing a classic mountain bike pop up museum at Cranks Around the Campfire (which I think is happening this summer!) if there was enough interest. Perhaps even make it a show with attendees voting for their favorite retro rig. Thoughts @Fire Lord Jim ?
I'm going to need a bigger truck! Yes, this would be a great venue for it . Could even ride that converted rail trail a bit east.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like this idea. My 1991 Rockhopper Comp (that I bought new heading to college) now has slicks on it so no trail for me, but in for picnicky stuffs possibly. If it's still around, that is...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I like this idea. My 1991 Rockhopper Comp (that I bought new heading to college) now has slicks on it so no trail for me, but in for picnicky stuffs possibly. If it's still around, that is...

the first time i rode with @woody i was rocking an early '90s marin at CR - also rode sourlands with @clarkenstein and @cuda - upgraded to a 29r a few weeks later.
oh, that was 2012 :D
will rock marin bear mountain at this event. and leopard skin bike shorts. 🔥🤟

serviceguy

Who would ride their museum piece? Who would just attend for the picnic afterwards? View attachment 153235
How soon? My OTB maker(K2 4000) is fully functional, wood gladly attend! But if there's enough time I could assembly either a Proflex 857 or 957, much cooler!

Mare

I'd probably be up for this. I haven't ridden my bike (practically) since i got my dog so I need an excuse to get back on the bike.

iman29

Just sold my 10+ year old Rockhopper expert on FB Marketplace a few weeks ago, but I would be down for a friendly cruise and food/frosty beverages afterwards.

I think we would have to be careful we don't overrun any specific location with all the COVID stuff still going on, and as a result have someone report " all these Mountain bikers are breaking the law" I think at @pooriggy trail ride last Feb at Highbridge on the CT before all this chaos started we had like 30-40 people.

Top Bottom