Things that make you frown :(

iman29

like he can't use a tone generator on the grounding block outside the house to figure out which wire he should be futzing with?
too lazy to get off the ladder and check- I saw he had all the coax connections off the block up on the wire when I went out there. Guess he thought I was just some regular neighborhood idiot without any tech knowledge.

turns out he was working on the neighbors house across the street so now I got a pic and they can track it to the tech who did that service call at the address and they cant pull that bullshit - oh we dont know who used that truck.

8CAA7688-81A8-423D-9778-76B515B102B0.jpeg

MMuller

so pissed right now...

this ahole shows up to repair someone elses issue nearby and without any advanced notice goes up on the pole and disconnects my house!

View attachment 152565

I went out to ask him in my least possible sarcastic voice (yeah not really least possible)

excuse me - so whats the chance you disconnected my house since i know you are not here fixing any issues I reported.

ahole: - yeah thats probably true cause I dont know which line is which so I had to take it off - but it should be good in a few minutes.

me: - well dont you think with with everyone working at home all the time a heads up to the houses nearby might be a good idea?

ahole:- well sorry it should be back now I had to fix something.

me: yeah well assuming you had no choice to disconnect everything, what about telling people youre gonna do that before you cut off my service.

ahole: no response as he starts packing up his ladder and shit

I have been in IT services and support Management for 30 years if I pulled that crap I am fired on the spot. tried calling into customer service to get a supervisor and they left me on hold for 25 minutes until they came back on the line and told me they have to escalate to the dispatch office only via email! what are we in 1999??

told "Vanessa" if I dont get a call back by tomorrow I am canceling my service. Stay tuned.
Optimum has become the antichrist since Altice took over.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Shhhhhh I'm sealing it like an egyptian tomb

In all seriousness what are the new guidance? I had professional help but it's always nice to get more guidance

seal across the back of the studs with rigid insulation or blanket type (harder for remodel.)
it needs to breath, but not have air "flowing"
then fill the stud bays with craft faced - paper facing in.
i just did one with rigid - the last piece is tricky - i removed one stud to craw into the space.
put a hand hold in the last piece of rigid, and pulled it tight with glue.
1"x4x8 rigid sheets are $20, 2" are $32 in lowes. cuts with a razor knife.

is there proper venting now (ridge and soffit)? it will be impossible to stop condensation, and return of the mold if there isn't.
can use gable vents if there are collar ties. I like the flat ceiling near the ridge anyway - good place to put recessed lights,
and not hard to add.

then baffles in the rafter bays with faced insulation.

good project!

serviceguy

Optimum has become the antichrist since Altice took over.
I can’t wait for FIOS to be e here, they ran the fiber in front of hour house, then a week late the storm took it down a block up from us . Not sure about what’s the status now but I’m not holding my breath, sonn mi e body told me Optimum gives free cable to the town...

Patrick

Staff member
I can’t wait for FIOS to be e here, they ran the fiber in front of hour house, then a week late the storm took it down a block up from us . Not sure about what’s the status now but I’m not holding my breath, sonn mi e body told me Optimum gives free cable to the town...

same shit different company.
at least with some competition, maybe they will all be more responsive.
did you look at the verizon fixed wireless offering?

MMuller

Yes, this. We all depend on their services. Even more during the pandemic with work at home, school and just plain old entertainment. There's really only 2 choices and they both know they have you. I called about switching to Fios. Best they could do was $5 cheaper for less service. And would have to come in and pull everything apart that's been here for 30 years. So, for now, I remain marcmuller@optonline.net and will just continue to do battle with them, monthly, to get the bill right. BTW, I spoke to exec in the main office in LI who's been there for 30 years and he quite honestly said, after my argument that I'm a legacy customer that had been given every perk and incentive through the years, I'm exactly the customer Altice doesn't want! They're trying to dump older accounts they don't make money on and focus on younger people that get new full service at premium price.

Last edited:

JerseyPete

This has been rolling out even in my town where Fios and Optimum is available.

ekuhn

I had comcast at my old house. The cable wire dropped off the pole and was laying across my driveway. My ladder wasn't long enough to lay on the wires to rehang it. I called customer service, they said we can send a tech out in about 2-3 weeks. I lambasted the girl on the phone. Spoke to her manager. Then his manager. A guy in a bucket truck was there in 15 minutes on his way back to the shop.

The next week I switched to Fios. I've had very minimal issues with Fios in the last 10+ years.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had Optimum for fifteen years and don't really have any complaints. Fios has been available for at least the last ten years and I've never had reason to switch.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have no experience with optimum or comcast, but since iv had my own place iv had FIOS and have no complaints, we will see how the price BS goes when the current 'price agreement' expires and i call to bitch that they are jacking up the rates.

Patrick

Staff member
I've been running the same cable since they ran it by the house 30ish years ago - seriously,
when i moved in, there was no service here - we had an antenna and rotor - could get NY and Philly (but why?)
it was RSN, bought out by Comcast. It has been in-service the who time, collecting monthly.
can't tell me that it isn't profitable - it is a zero incremental cost situation.
the acquisition cost of a new customer is ridiculous - even if they are using more service (like what? they just want fast internet)

I also have spectrum up in lk george. they charge too much. i think i had to upgrade to their triple play to get the good
deal again. never hooked up the phone. Cell service is spotty, so no real choice. I looked into a mast-mounted cell phone repeater,
might still do that - everything is streaming anyway.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i have no experience with optimum or comcast, but since iv had my own place iv had FIOS and have no complaints, we will see how the price BS goes when the current 'price agreement' expires and i call to bitch that they are jacking up the rates.
My Fios went up steeply when my original agreement expired, for my triple play. However, I moved to internet only a month later, So will see when this on expires.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Fios went up steeply when my original agreement expired, for my triple play. However, I moved to internet only a month later, So will see when this on expires.

we are 5 years here now, when the first agreement expired i called up and got another one (not as good, of course) will see what happens this time around, i know its coming, just not sure when.

i played the same game with them when i was in my apt in TR, and got it back down twice before we bought the house.

serviceguy

not an option in this house, long story...I doubt it is available though even if I haven’t checked in a while. Not a fan of 100% wifi either.

serviceguy

This has been rolling out even in my town where Fios and Optimum is available.
Interesting but I would have to chop down half a dozen big ass oaks and maples to use that...it’s funny to see the face of the solar panel company rep when I show them the satellite view of my house each time they stop me at Home Depot....usually it’s something like ‘what? Where’s the house?’

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Interesting but I would have to chop down half a dozen big ass oaks and maples to use that...it’s funny to see the face of the solar panel company rep when I show them the satellite view of my house each time they stop me at Home Depot....usually it’s something like ‘what? Where’s the house?’

my wife just tells those our house is built in a cave, they neve rknow what to say back to that, its funny

Top Bottom