Weird bikes, bike innovation and bike contraptions

Pampa

Not sure if there's a thread for weird bikes/ bike innovation. I remember reading about about this bike a while ago. Didn't have gears then; now it has. In general, is interesting to me that bikes are using essentially the same transmission method/technology than when they were invented (pinions/cogs and chain). Then again, motor bikes are the same...

I know 99% of these these things will fail and never see the light of day. Still, I like to see people try to innovate.

This chainless bike's a gear closer to revolutionizing the cycling world

Kaleidopete

Here is one I saw at a swap meet years ago, it's old, like 1909
Direct drive09.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
If they put a shaft drive on a suspension bicycle, would it experience shaft jacking like motos do, or is the acceleration a human puts just not enough to have that effect? Sorta the opposite of pedal Bob. Any engineers know?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
If they put a shaft drive on a suspension bicycle, would it experience shaft jacking like motos do, or is the acceleration a human puts just not enough to have that effect? Sorta the opposite of pedal Bob. Any engineers know?

Good call. The force is "up", but I'd expect it would be far less than anything with brapp.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I'm thinking at high rpm it would be tough for this to shift fast enough to prevent damage. Notice how in the video any shifts are done at very low rpm. With a chain, during the time in between gears, the chain is sliding up the cog ramps. With this there can't be any in between, just mega failure. :p

Last edited:

Ian F

Years ago at a swap meet in Philly, a guy let me try one of those radically slacked out chopper bikes (it literally had about an 8 foot wheelbase). Holy crap those are not easy to ride. The front wheel just wants to flop all over the place. It was quite a challenge to keep it going in a straight line. It was fun, tho.

xc62701

Ever hit a jump where you land hard enough to rub the rear tire between your legs?
That's the first thing I thought of. I was like weird no dropper post... Don't want to get your squishy bits anywhere near those things.

Fire Lord Jim

Another chainless model. The 1937 Ingo Bike. No pedals, no chain. The rear wheel is eccentric—at each rotation the wheel moves up and down. The entire frame is a spring. The handlebar and stem are a lever. The rider pushes off, the standing platform moves up and down, the rider times that movement and bounces on the platform pulling the bars as propulsion. Someone rode one from Chicago to Florida. Pic taken in my basement. Here's me riding it.
20150223_094543.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom