What have you done to your bike today?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You got a completion date yet?

edit: seems like they would be able to crank things out pretty quick being completely in house fabricators...

They say March. I keep watching them weld things together on IG with the hopes mine is in the pile. The fork I have coming is going to be end of February anyway. Wheels should be here in a week or 2.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
edit: seems like they would be able to crank things out pretty quick being completely in house fabricators...

Also on this. I9 is 100% US, 60 days out minimum, they discontinued all by 2 hubshells because they have 2 years worth of Orders. Velocity isn't taking orders anymore, they say it will be a full year at least before they catch up. I did order a White hub and that took a week, but that will change. Right now anyone that works in Manufacturing or in the Industry makes more money on Unemployment that at work so there's no Incentive to go back to work.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I better order my spank wheels up then, damn here I thought I was ahead of the curve. My DVO fork is being shipped tomorrow. Have my groupset. Just need to order up crankset. Think this time gonna try canfield cranks in 160mm swap them on the ripmo for the 175mm for the nimble 9.

Mtbdog

Just added some lights. Lezyne macro drive 1300 xxl. Any opinions on the lights? Looking for a helmet light also, any suggestions welcome.
20210121_194619.jpg

one piece crank

Also on this. I9 is 100% US, 60 days out minimum, they discontinued all by 2 hubshells because they have 2 years worth of Orders. Velocity isn't taking orders anymore, they say it will be a full year at least before they catch up. I did order a White hub and that took a week, but that will change. Right now anyone that works in Manufacturing or in the Industry makes more money on Unemployment that at work so there's no Incentive to go back to work.
That is crazy.

rosceaux

Finally removed two links on the SS to move the axle up further... will test on trails today.
Thorough cleaning and re-lube of chain and drivetrain
Replaced rear brake rotor
Set up addition wheel tubeless for quick swap-out
THEN degreased and cleaned the frame

Also, ran some sandpaper over the rollers to reduce the squeaky tire noise.

Ian F

I'm hoping to order cranks and a DB Air from Cane Creek soon for the Megatower. According to the website, I can expect delivery sometime in April at best. However, since I'll be lucky if my shoulder can take riding on dirt by then (and especially the gravity riding the MT is meant for), the timeline isn't much of a concern.

serviceguy

So, first things first, rode Huber today for an hour, and pretended the park wasn't a disaster (well, really, it's not, but I try not to consider that 99% of the dirt that's churned/rutted in the turns is horse crap) in order to get the creative juices flowing. Then I grabbed my thinking cap, a handful of 3/8-24 nylon screws, and my drill:

View attachment 147959
Progress shot, because I'm lazy and skipped photos
Then, determined not to spend a bunch of money on a tap that I would only use once (okay, twice), I grabbed a suitable 10-24 screw and had at it with a fiber-reinforced cutoff wheel to make 3 channels, then the belt sander to give the nose a nice taper. I zipped a bit off the diameter of the screw while I was at it. The flathead slot was fiddly, but more than sufficient to tap nylon.

View attachment 147957
The same nylon screw, because, again, lazy.
Next step, screw the nylon screw into the One-up tool, and use a flush-cut saw (for dowelling!) to cut flush with the end. This was fiddly, but gave good results.

View attachment 147958
The first one (not pictured) was better centered. Drilled freehand instead of using a press.
Finally, I grabbed a pair of curved, smooth jaw pliers to turn a tube from Dynaplug into the hole. Remember, I took a bit off the OD of the screw "tap" so it would be a tight fit.

View attachment 147955
Nice tight fit, no fixative needed, but easy enough to remove both if desired.
All the little dealies fit nicely into the small tube that comes with the tool. The new ribbed o-ring fits into Rockshox stuff, too--it's not dead silent like the fork bung, but it's quiet enough (and that plug is ugly AF). I'm going to take a page from Grandpa and his Camillus electrician's knife, and sharpen the flathead screwdriver bit on the side to make a knife that can cut the plug flush.

I also took the opportunity while it was off to clean the threadlock that One-up put on the chain tool pressure screw. Don't have any idea WTF they were thinking, other than maybe securing future customers for replacements when it immediately stripped trying to break a chain?
Follow up on your ingenious adaptation of the dynaplug into the EDC Carrier v2. Ipurchased on ebay the EDC v2 tools and realized mine has a regular o-ring instead of the 'rigged' one shown in your pictures. I don't really see any ill effect to that. The tool seems legit, the carrier has the 'matryoshka' storage, the package is OneUp...I did get it at a very low price. Pre-production maybe? Can you confirm the threaded hole in the carrier is a 3/8-24 ? I'd like to follow your lead but not willing to pay $35 for the insert and pliers which are (though maybe not a total) waste of money...

Karate Monkey

Follow up on your ingenious adaptation of the dynaplug into the EDC Carrier v2. Ipurchased on ebay the EDC v2 tools and realized mine has a regular o-ring instead of the 'rigged' one shown in your pictures. I don't really see any ill effect to that. The tool seems legit, the carrier has the 'matryoshka' storage, the package is OneUp...I did get it at a very low price. Pre-production maybe? Can you confirm the threaded hole in the carrier is a 3/8-24 ? I'd like to follow your lead but not willing to pay $35 for the insert and pliers which are (though maybe not a total) waste of money...

I can confirm. I can even send you a few of the extra nylon bolts I have in a padded mailer, and the screw I used to tap them. Throw a donation in your local food bank.

I couldn't stomach buying the plier kit, mostly because the notion of needing to undo a quick link on the trail is absurd. Anything you could need that for could be done with a chain tool+spare link. I can open it with a rock if I needed to, anyway.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I can confirm. I can even send you a few of the extra nylon bolts I have in a padded mailer, and the screw I used to tap them. Throw a donation in your local food bank.

I couldn't stomach buying the plier kit, mostly because the notion of needing to undo a quick link on the trail is absurd. Anything you could need that for could be done with a chain tool+spare link. I can open it with a rock if I needed to, anyway.
I missed that original post. Glad I caught it now. I've got the OneUp tool and tire plug fork but don't really care for the bacon strips. Dynaplug FTW!

serviceguy

Don’t use a rock, you just need a piece of wire, a string orca piece of shifter cable...

Top Bottom