Dry January 2024 (The Sober Thread)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
12 days in and going strong. I'm drinking a lot of seltzer and I stumbled on an article that says seltzer increases hunger cravings. I was surprised to see this as I've never thought of it affecting me in that manner. If anything I feel it helps keep me full and postpones wanting to eat - oh yea and keeps me from drinking all that sugar laden soda!
You want reality? Take the extra step and eat low calorie density foods(fruits and veggies) and eat all you want. Add some hummus, salad dressing, salt/pepper whatever. You can eat lots and lots of these and feel full/drop weight.

rick81721

Lothar
12 days in and going strong. I'm drinking a lot of seltzer and I stumbled on an article that says seltzer increases hunger cravings. I was surprised to see this as I've never thought of it affecting me in that manner. If anything I feel it helps keep me full and postpones wanting to eat - oh yea and keeps me from drinking all that sugar laden soda!

I don't understand how anyone can drink a non-diet soda. There is so much sugar it is sickening. For me, coke zero tastes better and has zero sugar.

roc

You want reality? Take the extra step and eat low calorie density foods(fruits and veggies) and eat all you want. Add some hummus, salad dressing, salt/pepper whatever. You can eat lots and lots of these and feel full/drop weight.
If only I liked that!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
BTW on the topic of dry January, I used to do this every year from Jan 1-24th since I turned 21 until I got married. 24th being my birthday and usually a social event and would drink.

After 2020 my drinking def increased and my body got achey so when I saw this thread I figured I would resurrect the tradition. I am sleeping no different and my body aches are no better. I have felt no major benefit but I have had no desire to drink at all either. Went out last night to get the wife a bottle and had no issue. I would like to.long term reduce my drinking mainly for financial reasons.

I am also on a major tea kick which is what I often do when I reduce alcohol because otherwise I only drink water and that gets boring.

I should mention I have also reduced coffee only 3 cups since the 1st and that was because my kids kept me up most the night. This was a request by my doctor as my coffee consumption was massive.

I'll text you when I drink that's the only time you can drink, you're waiting till at least the summer.

xc62701

I agree that it will work for sure. But that's only for a crash diet. I have done that before and it's not maintainable. I need good actual food for me to feel like a human being.

Cassinonorth

I've been doing intermittent fasting for the new year. So far so good, down 3 lbs. The worst days are the boring days in the office I'm waiting for 11 am to tick over and I can warm up my breakfast burrito.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I agree that it will work for sure. But that's only for a crash diet. I have done that before and it's not maintainable. I need good actual food for me to feel like a human being.
A salad doesn’t need to be just lettuce. Phil gaimon has a good way to do it. Lots of greens, some other veggies, some crunchy stuff and some dressing. Add salmon, steak, whatever. Basically more unprocessed food and less processed crap(bread/pasta). I don’t eat like a tdf ride and lord knows I can’t pass up the kids’ goldfish. I’m just saying, make that stuff the bulk of your diet. If you eat 1000 calories of ruffles and wash it down with 1000 calories of pepsi well...

rick81721

Lothar
A salad doesn’t need to be just lettuce. Phil gaimon has a good way to do it. Lots of greens, some other veggies, some crunchy stuff and some dressing. Add salmon, steak, whatever. Basically more unprocessed food and less processed crap(bread/pasta). I don’t eat like a tdf ride and lord knows I can’t pass up the kids’ goldfish. I’m just saying, make that stuff the bulk of your diet. If you eat 1000 calories of ruffles and wash it down with 1000 calories of pepsi well...

I don't like salads that are mostly lettuce - I'll make lettuce-less salads sometimes with cucumber, carrots, radishes, celery, peppers and tomatoes.

Top Bottom