GXP crankset...swapping GXP BB to DUB?

pygmypony

hey all, i have a 2012 trek Xcal frameset, that i've recently converted over to a frankengravel bike...i'm still using the original SRAM X5 crankset, through a GXP bottom bracket. the crankset non-drive side bolt keeps coming loose about an hour or so into any hard ride, despite torquing it to 50nm (as per SRAM specs)

i've replaced the bolt once already, and now i'm just thinking this crankset could be at the end of its useful life.

i'm having a hard time finding a replacement crankset, so i'm wondering if i can replace the BB on this bike so i can run a newer DUB or similar crankset? i realize this creates issues with chainline etc...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i think your answer is yes, but you should be able to score some GXP cranks for cheap... or at least thats what i run on my all my road bikes...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Ouch.

But, I agree. Double pinch bolts aren't sexy, but they are gooder (especially when you go to undo your aluminum bolt in an aluminum crank spindle).

Cane Creek EE Wings in Oil Slick or GTFH with that peasant shit. 1990 called and wants their 24mm spindle back. If you want retro do White Industry.

Karate Monkey

Cane Creek EE Wings in Oil Slick or GTFH with that peasant shit. 1990 called and wants their 24mm spindle back. If you want retro do White Industry.

True story: they were at PBE a few years ago with a new 30mm crank, and I asked them "uh, does this mean you're not gonna make the square taper stuff [chainrings] anymore?"

[nervous laugh] "well, we CNC them, so even if you needed it, we could just load the file for a run."

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Cane Creeks or Whites? My Whites have the ti bolts and surprisingly I still have the ti BB. I thought it would explode years ago.

Karate Monkey

The Cane Creeks or Whites? My Whites have the ti bolts and surprisingly I still have the ti BB. I thought it would explode years ago.

CC changed to stainless bolts (though, for that matter, so did White, for different [cheap?] reasons) because people weren't putting any/enough anti-seize on the screw, and it would gall when removed.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
so i would just swap in this BB and then my bike is DUB-ready?

also - ordered a cheap set of GXP cranks as well, so...options...
Im confused here, you want a dub BB but you also bought a GXP? If this just to tide you over?

pygmypony

Im confused here, you want a dub BB but you also bought a GXP? If this just to tide you over?
yes! i realized after i posted it could be confusing! if i don't need to replace the BB, that would be great, as it's pretty new...however, when i need to, i would probably explore the DUB route...

thanks!

pygmypony

quick update...installed the SRAM GXP crankset...it came with this goofy bashguard, which just adds needless weight. without it, the bolts don't fit tight. are there chainring bolt washers that can bridge that gap instead of the goofy bashguard?
Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 6.25.44 PM.png

acw

What moose35 said, or, Race Face makes "chainring tab shims" that make up for the thickness of the removed bashguard.

Top Bottom