Things that make you smile :)

Finally spent some of the WFH stipend money the company gave me and upgraded the home office setup.

Temporary setup while I get used to the dual monitor viewing and the new chair to find the best layout but damn that screen is big.

View attachment 147618View attachment 147620
i've found that putting the screen directly above the laptop works best for small-large.
it also works well with the camera.

Wife's setup.
1609849691410.png

yup changed it around this morning before I started work ;-)

View attachment 147629
but, doesn't it bother you that moving the mouse to the right (or left) will result in it showing back to the opposite side on the other monitor? I have to keep my dual setup with monitors side by side because I can't cope with that. Or is there a setting some where that I am not aware of?

Simple circuit simulators!

In the spirit of Rick's word puzzles, here is one to get your electro-nerd on.

I'm sure we all got those "100 circuits" building kits as a kid.
batteries, switches, wires, fans, lights, magnets, horn, capacitors, resistors, etc.
ok - i know some of you did.

Put them together, and pressed the button, and the light would come on -
learn about double pole, and 3 and 4 way switches. how to wire the switches for
your stairs, etc....eventually, you figured out how to make it catch fire.

Anyway, our kid is in HS physics, doing the basics for electricity. He's gotten all the formulae,
and they finally give him a project.

Build a circuit with an on-off switch, 3 identical light bulbs that shine
at different levels, and 1 more switch to make them shine at the same level.

Well - here is the online project board: have at it!

click on 'lab' twice. drag and drop components. pull ends together to connect.
he went through a bunch of different scenarios, but kept messing up the 1st part.

Dad to the rescue - I tried to give him the hints to get there himself, but it wasn't happening.
More because he had moved on to his English homework.

And yes, you can get it to catch fire!

The idea i had was to run three independent loops of a resistor and a light. set the resistors so
two of them could be "switched" to parallel thus running two lights. Originally I forgot that there
would be double the load on the parallel resistors, and set the levels to match. Then the ah-ha came.
resistors in parallel are 10 and 30 (7.5 in parallel), the other is 15.

batteries, switches, wires, fans, lights, magnets, horn, capacitors, resistors, etc.

Anyway, our kid is in HS physics, doing the basics for electricity. He's gotten all the formulae,

he went through a bunch of different scenarios, but kept messing up the 1st part.

Dad to the rescue - I tried to give him the hints to get there himself, but it wasn't happening.

The idea i had was to run three independent loops of a resistor and a light. set the resistors so
two of them could be "switched" to parallel thus running two lights. Originally I forgot that there
would be double the load on the parallel resistors, and set the levels to match. Then the ah-ha came.

This is why I find the electrical engineers that show up for job interviews are useless.

People need more hands on. The radio shack kit would be better. :)

Thats a pretty cool little widget. Going to play around with later!

GM on line training has us mechanics use those simulators. Absolutely the most frustrating way to learn electronics.. Even saw a tech smash his lap top on the floor when he could not get the voltmeter to connect. Turned out it was a sodtware glitch. A hands on class with a breadboard, that's the proper way to teach.

Back in 8th grade I had a heathkit jr. It was kit to assemble. I made a lot of cool stuff.heath.jpg

@Patrick
Did you ever go to Greenbrook electronics on rt22? Used to go there with my dad as a kid. I understand they moved to another location, and offer training classes.

@Patrick
Did you ever go to Greenbrook electronics on rt22? Used to go there with my dad as a kid. I understand they moved to another location, and offer training classes.

yes - was in there a couple times a year picking up splice supplies, switches, or knobs..
didn't even look around, went right to the guy with what you wanted to do, and he'd pull this or that from a box
with no label, on a shelf that looked like it was going to collapse. i'm not a big analog guy.
mostly automotive, with just a little board level experience. (replacing the component that caught on fire)

I need to fix a beverage fridge - i can hear the relay pulling in, but the compressor isn't starting.
ugh.

yes - was in there a couple times a year picking up splice supplies, switches, or knobs..
didn't even look around, went right to the guy with what you wanted to do, and he'd pull this or that from a box
with no label, on a shelf that looked like it was going to collapse. i'm not a big analog guy.
mostly automotive, with just a little board level experience. (replacing the component that caught on fire)

I need to fix a beverage fridge - i can hear the relay pulling in, but the compressor isn't starting.
ugh.

compressor might be shot, thats what happened to our chest freezer in april of last year :(

This is why I find the electrical engineers that show up for job interviews are useless.

People need more hands on. The radio shack kit would be better. :)

Not universally true, but yes. I'm a ME by education, but we did this same thing in a class and my EE roommate couldn't figure it out without "another wire".

Not universally true, but yes. I'm a ME by education, but we did this same thing in a class and my EE roommate couldn't figure it out without "another wire".

wait - didn't we learn how to power a light with a potato, some water, and salt?
oh, ChemE class, nevermind.

Back
Top Bottom