Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

TimBay

A few of us that have joined the parks trail maintenance volunteer group spent the am remediating the muddy section of meadow ramble. (Jordon, Kevin.)

Years of park users placing random logs here ended up inadvertently creating a dam and trapping water resulting in a backlog of muck. Those logs and and the slop were removed and channels created to divert future ground water to the low side of the trail. The parks department provided some aggregate which we wheelbarrowed in and tamped into shape of a new trail tread. I lost count of the loads but I'd say 20 is my best guess.

In spite of the muck removal, the trail bed was still soft, so there will be settling to be expected in the coming weeks. If you're riding through here hug the upper side for the firmest section.

My experience has been the parks system is very attentive to trail remediation and empowering the volunteers to make noticable improvements. It's a great time to join and help out:)
How'd you get them to let you do stuff? I haven't seen any emails about TM sessions.

mwlikesbikes

Rode it yesterday, both Harts & Huber everything was in great shape except claypit connector of course. The section of Rocky point is still closed off. I checked it out and I see why it’s still closed, the tree down is a monster. Probably will need a reroute if it isn’t cut out.
Saw the sign for when it’s closed for hunting too.
9002531E-7F4C-41CF-BA00-2E6718D3AE44.jpeg

Karate Monkey

Rode it yesterday, both Harts & Huber everything was in great shape except claypit connector of course. The section of Rocky point is still closed off. I checked it out and I see why it’s still closed, the tree down is a monster. Probably will need a reroute if it isn’t cut out.

Monster is right. I don't see how they can cut that without heavy equipment.

Maybe cut the roots and give it a push down hill :)

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Anyone been recently that could comment on conditions?
hmm haven't been there, but I'm down the street.

We have plenty of snow left. And with the temps warming up we will have lots of mud and stuff.
I suspect you might find some dry spots on rocky point, but everything else is going to be bad.

Karate Monkey

hmm haven't been there, but I'm down the street.

We have plenty of snow left. And with the temps warming up we will have lots of mud and stuff.
I suspect you might find some dry spots on rocky point, but everything else is going to be bad.

Per usual: if it ain't frozen by a few degrees (including sun hitting the trail...) it should be avoided. Looks like Friday night is going to get real cold, and Saturday should be cold enough even around noon.

If you've gotta be a knucklehead and get covered in mud to feel alive, go do repeats on Grand Tour (the gravel road in the back)/Browns Dock/Bowne/Cooper/Whipporwill.

Cooper should be plenty exciting this time of year with the massive potholes/ruts.

I would never encourage someone to ride at night, especially when it's cold/blustery, but the temperature is quite low then...and typically in the first couple of hours after dawn.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions