Ask an automobile mechanic.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This one is for @Dingo

My son has a 2016 Cruze Premier. I picked up some aftermarket fog lights (new bezels with lights) and the factory switch
with fog light button. The fog lights came with their own wiring - am i looking at getting something reprogrammed for the switch
to drive a relay somewhere? Or is this just an impossible task, as I should have gotten the stock fogs from a Cruze RS and all
the necessary parts?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
My car (I can't remember what kind, but I got it from my brother after my father died in 1999) makes a ticking noise when I go up hill and turn left. Before I bring it in can you tell me how much it will cost to fix that? Oh and I think it needs a muffler or something that's dragging underneath.

Oh, I'm sorry I thought this was questions for bike mechanics.

Patrick

Staff member
My car (I can't remember what kind, but I got it from my brother after my father died in 1999) makes a ticking noise when I go up hill and turn left. Before I bring it in can you tell me how much it will cost to fix that? Oh and I think it needs a muffler or something that's dragging underneath.

this is simple - don't turn left. :D

Dingo

This one is for @Dingo

My son has a 2016 Cruze Premier. I picked up some aftermarket fog lights (new bezels with lights) and the factory switch
with fog light button. The fog lights came with their own wiring - am i looking at getting something reprogrammed for the switch
to drive a relay somewhere? Or is this just an impossible task, as I should have gotten the stock fogs from a Cruze RS and all
the necessary parts?
Unless it has option code T3U (factory fog lights) it's impossible. The factory switch sends a signal to the body control module, that controls a relay that feeds the lamps. The wires and relay may be there, but the problem is the BCM would need to be programmed for T3U. The only program chevy has for your car is the way it left the factory. We are not able to change the software, it goes by the VIN. Some cars have approved light kits that come with a special code that we send to to GM, and they re write the BCM programing.
Looks like you will be stuffing a toggle switch in the dash.

Dingo

Bring it in for a look see. We have a 1 hour diagnostic fee of $185.00. If you decide to do the repair, we will jack up the price of the repair to include the fee. If you decide to not do the repair your out $185, and you can take it your mechanics, Pookie & Ray Ray.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Bring it in for a look see. We have a 1 hour diagnostic fee of $185.00. If you decide to do the repair, we will jack up the price of the repair to include the fee. If you decide to not do the repair your out $185, and you can take it your mechanics, Pookie & Ray Ray.
But it's just a ticking noise. How much without the diagnostic?

BTW, I literally just went through this with a customer. how bout if you just put the parts on and don't adjust anything?

Dingo

But it's just a ticking noise. How much without the diagnostic?

BTW, I literally just went through this with a customer. how bout if you just put the parts on and don't adjust anything?
If it's just a noise try turning the radio up.

We can also install the parts with out the diag fee. What parts do you want to try first? All parts and labor non refundable.

Patrick

Staff member
Unless it has option code T3U (factory fog lights) it's impossible. The factory switch sends a signal to the body control module, that controls a relay that feeds the lamps. The wires and relay may be there, but the problem is the BCM would need to be programmed for T3U. The only program chevy has for your car is the way it left the factory. We are not able to change the software, it goes by the VIN. Some cars have approved light kits that come with a special code that we send to to GM, and they re write the BCM programing.
Looks like you will be stuffing a toggle switch in the dash.

Thanks! I feel some surgery coming up!
the supplied switch for the fogs is momentary - so is the factory. If it is pinned separately, i may be able to do something.
too bad the dash light won't illuminate, and they'll stay on with the high beams.....

It also has the base radio - maybe he'll get a nice graduation present to resolve that.

Dingo

Thanks! I feel some surgery coming up!
the supplied switch for the fogs is momentary - so is the factory. If it is pinned separately, i may be able to do something.
too bad the dash light won't illuminate, and they'll stay on with the high beams.....

It also has the base radio - maybe he'll get a nice graduation present to resolve that.
The wires may be in the column. Sometimes they use 1 harness for all options.
You could wire up a relay so the coil is only powered when the low beams are on, and the switch controls the neg side. High beams on would turn off the relay.

johnbryanpeters

Only go downhill and right.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@UtahJoe should also be here resident Ford expert.
I mean I know a little, but guys like @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST and @Dingo have like 500 years of combined experience every day solving and fixing car problems. Im FAR from their level. I have the benefit of never having to get anything done in a hurry, work under pressure...oh and I have the internet....Real car mechanics have to figure things out fast, and work around rusted bolts and other problems.....oh and when i screw up, I just have to fix it again later, or my wife yells at me....no big deal. My dad was a car mechanic forever, so always mad props to anyone who does this for a living, its hard work!

Top Bottom