Cross Protocol

xc62701

I figure this might help some of the noobs as well as myself. What is the deal with the cross bike. I know you can use a cross or mountain bike for most events. But from what I remember it has to be a bike with no bar ends or bottle cages correct? Are there any tire restrictions? I'm looking at maybe trying another race on my rigid ss with 2.5's on it :D

ArmyOfNone

You are correct about bar ends. They are not permitted. Keep the cages if you must but it is not fashionable. :D No restrictions on tire width to my knowledge.

I would suggest those having the itch to see what cross is about, scratch it on your mtb. Riding a cross bike will change your thoughts and experience. See if you can steal one from a friend for a day!

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
You are correct about bar ends. They are not permitted. Keep the cages if you must but it is not fashionable. :D No restrictions on tire width to my knowledge.

Why the restriction on the bar ends? Is it because they're impractical?
No bottle cages...hard to portage bike?

ArmyOfNone

Bar ends are a no no so you dont hook onto those riding drop bars.

No cages bc the real men dont need fluids while racing :D And they can get hung up on ya. (i think thats the real reason)

BiknBen

The MTB Bar ends get hooked in the road bars. They were causing crashes in the mass start so the crossers yelled foul.

The only other rule to be aware of is the No Disk-Brakes at UCI sanctioned events. The UCI (International Cycling Union) banned them in cross racing a number of years ago. The reasons were BS but they just wanted to keep it Euro.

It's only an issue at bigger national events. The local promoters are sanctioned by USA Cycling which does not forbid the disk brakes.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Bottle cages: On a legit cross course, opportunities to drink are rare, even if the cages were not in the way when shouldering the bike. The brevity of the races also lets one get away with not consuming fluids.

Plus, it makes you all the more thirsty for a well-deserved BEER after the race.:D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The only other rule to be aware of is the No Disk-Brakes at UCI sanctioned events. The UCI (International Cycling Union) banned them in cross racing a number of years ago.

Another loop-hole here. This rule only applies to a class that gives out UCI points. So if you race Elite and have a UCI license, no discs. C or B are non-UCI so discs are ok.

This guy I was going back and forth with at Wissahickon was on a Specialized Epic and I asked him about it after the race. I got the DL.

-Jim.

mwlikesbikes

Here's one about 'cross bikes I've been wondering about. I notice that they all seem to use center pull cantiliever brakes. Why not use V-brakes? All those years ago when I switched from XT canties to XT vees my stopping improved immensely. Seems to me that v-brakes would be a better choice for crossers.

walter

Fourth Party
Here's one about 'cross bikes I've been wondering about. I notice that they all seem to use center pull cantiliever brakes. Why not use V-brakes? All those years ago when I switched from XT canties to XT vees my stopping improved immensely. Seems to me that v-brakes would be a better choice for crossers.

mud clearance???

Steve Vai

#1) No linear pull STI road levers. You can run those ghetto adapters, but once they fill up with mud you'd be beat.

#2) Too much stopping power for such a small contact patch.

Other things like weight and mud clearance come into play as well. Of course, there's always someone out there doing it, like Adam Craig, he runs XTR Vees on his CX bike.:hmmm:

-Jim.

mwlikesbikes

I forgot about the non-v sti lever. As far as the mud I seem to think it would be not to different between cantis & vees.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
If I were running a ss cross bike I would think about running V-brakes and V-brake compatible Aero levers. Otherwise the adapters sort suck.

j

BiknBen

Here's one about 'cross bikes I've been wondering about. Why not use V-brakes?

The need for Canti brakes on the cross bike have always irked me. I was one of the first guys I know to convert from canti to Vs on the MTB. I couldn't wait to get rid of them.

My Cross-Check was first set up as a fixed\ss. No shifting was required so I ran Vs with the V-compatible road levers. When it morphed into a touring road bike, I had to go with Cantis in order to use the road brifters (brake/shift levers). I was not happy about it.

You could run a cross bike with V brakes, compatible brake levers, and bar-end shifters.

If I were buying a new complete cross bike, I'd go with the disk brakes. Consistent powerful stopping in all conditions.

bobkennelly

The need for Canti brakes on the cross bike have always irked me. I was one of the first guys I know to convert from canti to Vs on the MTB. I couldn't wait to get rid of them.

My Cross-Check was first set up as a fixed\ss. No shifting was required so I ran Vs with the V-compatible road levers. When it morphed into a touring road bike, I had to go with Cantis in order to use the road brifters (brake/shift levers). I was not happy about it.

You could run a cross bike with V brakes, compatible brake levers, and bar-end shifters.

If I were buying a new complete cross bike, I'd go with the disk brakes. Consistent powerful stopping in all conditions.

You took the words right out of my mouth, I have been looking at the cannondale crossers with discs, they are really NICE!!
I run xtr v's, I like them, I need the power brakes for NYC 6 months out of the year..not crazy about the current fork on my bike though..had too much flex on it, that is the main reason I switched to the V..

CrossAddict

Brakes ???

Canti Brakes all the Way !!! Stopping power is overrated in cross. Most courses are designed with flow and little need for serious braking. In the words of Mario Chippolini " If you brake you lose". So rock out the cantilever brakes (go retro for more mud clearance) and get loose in a couple of corners::p. Yeahhhh:D

Plus there is not a lot of carbon tubular disc compatable wheel sets out there.:)

-R to the F

BiknBen

Canti Brakes all the Way !!! Stopping power is overrated in cross.

Stopping power is not my biggest concern. In the words of BiknBen, "Brakes just slow you down!" I just want trouble-free consistency.

I'm tired of picking grit out of the canti pads, realigning, adjusting cable-pull, etc. after every friggin ride.

The #1 reason I have not done a cross race yet this year???
I don't feel like having to overhaul my bike. One trip through the sand pit destroys all my stuff. I go from excited to pissed off within about 100'. I hate figgin sand!!!! :mad2:

Remove the trap and put an extra barrier in the course. I'd race more often.

CrossAddict

I don't feel like having to overhaul my bike. One trip through the sand pit destroys all my stuff. I go from excited to pissed off within about 100'. I hate figgin sand!!!! :mad2:

Remove the trap and put an extra barrier in the course. I'd race more often.

for ben -->

product.jsp

Steve Vai

I'm tired of picking grit out of the canti pads, realigning, adjusting cable-pull, etc. after every friggin ride.

Hey Ben, You should buy stuff that works and then have a mechanic put in on!! I haven't done anything more than hose my bikes off and lube the chain:D

-Jim.

goldsbar

While there's no need for better than cantis for racing purposes, trail riding is a different story. Cantis just plain suck even when setup correctly (maybe you'll get 3 good stops). I have them on mine but wish the bike came with disks. While part of the enjoyment of riding a cross bike on trails is that it turns tame trails into a challenge, these things don't even stop well on the road. I've been tempted by V's but hear horror stories about those cable pull adaptors.

Top Bottom