The Freeride Thread

Every time I ride at Creek in the rain I think of that video and wonder why I’m slipping on every rock slab while he was fine.... then I remember that he gaps over EVERYTHING.
Ritchie used to be a regular at Creek, I guess it wasn't too far of a drive from his home in CT. Speed and style are sometimes mutually exclusive, but Ritchie is one of these rare dudes with both. Remy has the style part really dialed in, but he couldn't qualify for any of the WC downhills, which tells you how fast everyone else really is.
And thinking that I’m agonizing over trying a 2 footer drop on cat nest...
Nail that Cat Nest drop so you can move on to the really good stuff tucked away back there....

I remember reading somewhere that Remy has a hand problem where he basically can't grip the bars for an entire World Cup race run. He can do the filming segments because he can rest in hands between them.

Its ridulous. Just dancing on wet rocks. Even the dry flow stuff is just sick.
That damn manny lander all the way to skipper on Upper Dom was mind blowing. I rode that line a bunch of times last Friday and those skippers come up on you really quickly!

Only thing that I recall was some issues crossing the border for Rampage in 2017. Believe he was denied entry due to some rules about earning money and then (could be wrong here), later tried to "sneak in" through a different border crossing and was caught.

Nail that Cat Nest drop so you can move on to the really good stuff tucked away back there....
What good stuff are you thinking about? There’s a couple of spots I know on Skilands/Ramapo Knob/Warm Puppy but chances are that I’m so slow I just roll over them and not even notice...BTW, the problem with late mtb bloomers, same as skiing, is your brain stops you because you ‘re factoring all the possible consequences of a bad landing...

Remy has the style part really dialed in, but he couldn't qualify for any of the WC downhills, which tells you how fast everyone else really is.
I'm guessing it's one thing to do that sick freestyle stuff he does, another to set a time on a course where you might have to put up pro tour wattage numbers on the pedaling sections.

What good stuff are you thinking about? There’s a couple of spots I know on Skilands/Ramapo Knob/Warm Puppy but chances are that I’m so slow I just roll over them and not even notice...BTW, the problem with late mtb bloomers, same as skiing, is your brain stops you because you ‘re factoring all the possible consequences of a bad landing...
Location of said stuff falls under Fight Club Rules. No really big secrets here though.

Location of said stuff falls under Fight Club Rules. No really big secrets here though.
Second time this week I’ve heard about some old school free ride stuff I should check at Ramapo. My buddy wasn’t sure anyone still keeps it clear or not. I don’t know those trails at all but I am all for some sketchy riding.

Reactions: don
Second time this week I’ve heard about some old school free ride stuff I should check at Ramapo. My buddy wasn’t sure anyone still keeps it clear or not. I don’t know those trails at all but I am all for some sketchy riding.
I rode some of those trails in Ramapo with some of the builders, but it was a long time ago (about 2002?). At the time, they were built to replace the trails at Mtn Creek when the park closed for a few seasons prior to the Diablo crew restarting it. Some of them had somewhat "hidden" trail heads, so if you didn't know where to hike off the main trails, you'd never find them. They were built to be DH training runs, so some of them were pretty spicy.

I rode some of those trails in Ramapo with some of the builders, but it was a long time ago (about 2002?). At the time, they were built to replace the trails at Mtn Creek when the park closed for a few seasons prior to the Diablo crew restarting it. Some of them had somewhat "hidden" trail heads, so if you didn't know where to hike off the main trails, you'd never find them. They were built to be DH training runs, so some of them were pretty spicy.
That’s more or less the description I was given. Might need to do some scouting soon....

I remember that stuff too. There were even a few lines where they built shaky wooden transitions over the rocks so you wouldn’t splat to flat down these rock rolls and drops. I remember hanging on for dear life with my 4.5” travel “freeride” bike with 69 degree head angle and 100mm stem. That stuff was a direct result of the New World Disorder days. Don’t even know if any of it is even still back there? You can pretty much get your jump fix at any bike park now. Plus there’s so much foot traffic there these days.
Stuff I’m referring to is In Ringwood and isn’t really that sketchy or out of line with what one would consider trail riding these days. They’ve learned to build proper transitions and take-offs since the NWD days. I know there is a contingent that is staunchly anti-jump and feature, but they need to get with the times.

Looks like Rich Drew’s style. Front wheel first, very upright, body centered over BB.

I remember that stuff too. There were even a few lines where they built shaky wooden transitions over the rocks so you wouldn’t splat to flat down these rock rolls and drops. I remember hanging on for dear life with my 4.5” travel “freeride” bike with 69 degree head angle and 100mm stem. That stuff was a direct result of the New World Disorder days. Don’t even know if any of it is even still back there? You can pretty much get your jump fix at any bike park now. Plus there’s so much foot traffic there these days.

Stuff I’m referring to is In Ringwood and isn’t really that sketchy or out of line with what one would consider trail riding these days. They’ve learned to build proper transitions and take-offs since the NWD days. I know there is a contingent that is staunchly anti-jump and feature, but they need to get with the times.
Curious how this stuff compares to "modern" trails. Stuff that was freeride in that time is pretty much normal features you can find on many trail.

Reactions: don
That’s more or less the description I was given. Might need to do some scouting soon....
I remember the main trail ended near Back Beach Park. A lot of the wooden features were rather ramshackle back then and unless someone has been maintaining them, I doubt they would still be ridable some 18 years later. Now that I think about it, I asked Kathi Krause about those trails one time I saw her a few years ago since she rode them a lot more than I did and I'm pretty sure she said they were all overgrown and unrideable now except for maybe a handful of short trail sections - like the drop near the lake.

Back
Top Bottom