Getting to Know You...Question #6...

BiknBen

Question #6 - What did you want to be when you were a kid?

If you haven't grown up yet, tell us what your plan is.

Credit goes to Mare45 who suggested this question.

Last edited:

Wobbegong

When I was a kid I wanted to be a glass blower. I saw it on Sesame Street and was amazed by the glowing glass. To this day, I have never blown glass....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Absolutely nothing. Since I was a kid, through high school, college, and to this very day, all I ever want to do is f*ck off.

BiknBen

Me???

I was destined to go to Space. I even went to Space Camp in Huntsville, AL when I was 13 years old. Then Reality hit me square in the nutz. :(

These days, I just trying to maintain my own personal Space.

N

NiceIrishGirl

Doctor

I wanted to be a doctor. So, I read lots of medical stuff when I was younger.

Now that I'm a "grownup", I'm not a doctor, but,most likely as a result of all the reading/knowledge, I am now a wicked hypochondriac.

Which means that I know more than most doctors. :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I really can't remeber having on specific thing. As of 5th grade I wanted to be a pro skateboard and in my early teens I probably could have gotten there, never worked out though....

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Truck driver. I was fascinated by big rigs and learned as much about them as I could. I think this was aided and abetted in the 70's by the CB radio movement and the trend toward "big rig" TV shows (anyone remember "Movin' On"?) and movies like "White Line Fever".

I eventually realized that I wasn't down for the life of the over-the-road owner/operator, but I still loves me them trucks.

Not really "grown up" yet, as I spend lots of days hanging around with kids, talking about books. And when I'm not doing that, I'm riding my bike.:D

THATmanMANNY

Architect but ended up studying it's nemesis, civil eng. Fresh outta college with CE & Urban Planning degrees. Now a structural eng. By next year, I aspire to be the dude that makes your crib/hood sustainable.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Fighter Pilot/Astronaut - I was heavily influenced by several uncles who were fly-boys and the fact I was 4 y.o. when the first Apollo mission landed on the moon.

• I was accepted by USAF in 1987. Blew the ACL in my right knee only 5 days before I was to hop on a plane to McCord AFB, then to Lackland AFB. Game over. I was the first pilot select for my officer recruiter--he literally cried when I called him to drop the news. I was stunned until I realized I had to actually use my CS degree and was *months* behind in a job search...then I was depressed :(
  • Applied to NASA in 1994 when working on a metabolic analyzer with them that flew on SLS-71 (for the first time) and MIR. 'Had the recommendation of the head of Cardio-respiratory research and others from NASA...apparently I didn't have enough PhDs (that would be zero) behind my name to make the first cut.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
in grade school i really wanted to be a football player.
in high school i wanted to be a doctor.
in college i wanted to be an environmental consultant.
now i want be a helicopter pilot.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Truck driver. I was fascinated by big rigs and learned as much about them as I could. I think this was aided and abetted in the 70's by the CB radio movement and the trend toward "big rig" TV shows (anyone remember "Movin' On"?) and movies like "White Line Fever".

I eventually realized that I wasn't down for the life of the over-the-road owner/operator, but I still loves me them trucks.

Not really "grown up" yet, as I spend lots of days hanging around with kids, talking about books. And when I'm not doing that, I'm riding my bike.:D

Don't forget "Convoy" and "BJ & the Bear" That was one of my favorite shows as a kid - Big Rigs, hollywood b-list eye candy, and a chimpanzee - what's not to love!

And I always thought the Snowman was sooo much cooler than the Bandit.

sixseven

Relive the trucking dream here: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/10/ultra-rigs-of-world.html
I really wanted to be BJ from BJ and the Bear too. More than that I wanted to be an architect. I went to college for it until I got kicked out and worked in the field for a year before realizing that it wasn't going to work out at all.
Now as a fabricator I get to work on interesting projects with cool materials in interesting locations... and its never the same thing twice.

Looking at the big rig pictures makes me realize that all I want is the truck. I don't want to even drive it.

I still plan on building a home one day.

BiknBen

Story: My elementary school had a career day where representatives from different backgrounds came in to explain what they do. I remember my teacher giving me a really strange look when I walked into the Truck Driver session.

I loved Convoy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convoy_(film)

Mare

I wanted to win grand prix show jumping and get paid for being an awesome rider (one can dream) or at least just train horses, a teacher, a chiropractor, and about a million other things.

My mind still changes daily and I'd be happy with simply breaking out of my office now to bike and play more in the outdoors.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
when i was a bucktoothed kneebiter i was either going to be a professional ski racer or marine biologist. pirmin zurbriggen and stein erikson were my idols.

high school - i was destined to be a rock star.

now i am an accountant who went to music school who plays on skis and surfboards while he isn't with his family or on a bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom