The Three Most Important Mountain Bikes

don

I am stealing this from PB as I listened to the podcast today and thought it was pretty interesting and could make for some good posts on here. I like the Intense M1, Kona Process, and Transition Bottle Rocket picks from those guys. I don't know how someone could pick the 1st Nomad as it is one of the ugliest bikes ever (but maybe it rode well). And the 1981 Specialized Stumpjumper is a no-brainer. I feel for DH and even modern

1 - Santa Cruz Heckler - one of the first full suspension bikes that wasn't super boutique'y (ie Mtn Cycles). Then to burlier version Heckler 5 that you could still pedal. Then a 27.5 version then an e-bike version. https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-CA/archive/bike/heckler

2 - Kona hardtails of the early to mid 90's - I feel like Kona was one of the first bigger companies that made a sloping TT and tall HT and those Joe Murray type forks with the straight blades and axle where so much better looking than say a StumpJumper of the time.
1994 Kona Lava Dome (I know it has some updated parts but it still looks great):

kona_lava_dome.jpg

3 - Spooky Cycles MetalHead - adjustable dropouts, US BB, HT gussets, super low slung and a punk rock attitude the Metal Head was unlike any other frame at the time (maybe Brooklyn Park but I think those came later). I feel like the Metalhead spawned frames like the Azonic DS1 and Evil Imperial and then brought in the whole long fork HT movement.

I feel Turner has to be mentioned. The DHR, RFX, 5 Spot, Highline and Rail (among the others) definitely had an influence and were know as great bikes when they were out.

Attachments

• spooky_metalhead.JPG
    spooky_metalhead.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 62

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I am stealing this from PB as I listened to the podcast today and thought it was pretty interesting and could make for some good posts on here. I like the Intense M1, Kona Process, and Transition Bottle Rocket picks from those guys. I don't know how someone could pick the 1st Nomad as it is one of the ugliest bikes ever (but maybe it rode well). And the 1981 Specialized Stumpjumper is a no-brainer. I feel for DH and even modern

1 - Santa Cruz Heckler - one of the first full suspension bikes that wasn't super boutique'y (ie Mtn Cycles). Then to burlier version Heckler 5 that you could still pedal. Then a 27.5 version then an e-bike version. https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-CA/archive/bike/heckler

2 - Kona hardtails of the early to mid 90's - I feel like Kona was one of the first bigger companies that made a sloping TT and tall HT and those Joe Murray type forks with the straight blades and axle where so much better looking than say a StumpJumper of the time.
1994 Kona Lava Dome (I know it has some updated parts but it still looks great):

View attachment 141050

3 - Spooky Cycles MetalHead - adjustable dropouts, US BB, HT gussets, super low slung and a punk rock attitude the Metal Head was unlike any other frame at the time (maybe Brooklyn Park but I think those came later). I feel like the Metalhead spawned frames like the Azonic DS1 and Evil Imperial and then brought in the whole long fork HT movement.

I feel Turner has to be mentioned. The DHR, RFX, 5 Spot, Highline and Rail (among the others) definitely had an influence and were know as great bikes when they were out.
1. Maybe another choice is the 1995 Trek Y 22 and cost $1,799 new. Hey it’s Trek, not too boutique’y 😄
2. Agee on the Kona, love the design and color.
3. Turner DW link bikes were a game changer in the industry as they climbed like hardtails. I suspect many of the competitors were inspired by the design.
Think it’s time to take my vintage mountain bike for a spin...

Reactions: don

Ian F

1. Specialized Stumpjumper - one of the first mtn bikes marketed to the masses. I remember seeing ads for them in the back of "outdoorsy" magazines in the early 80's.
2. Cannondale - brought aluminum frames to the masses.
3. Trek - brought carbon fiber to the masses with the OCLV frames.

one piece crank

I never heard of the Metal head, but that's a cool bike. Reminds me of my Banshee Scratch.

Specialized Stumpjumper for sure, I'm also partial to mid-80's West-coast-style Fisher's and Breeze's we built in a small VA shop.

Captain Brainstorm

1. Cannondale F-Frames - Like said previously, brought high-quality aluminum and light weight to the market.
  2. Trek OCLV - Yes, the early ones broke a lot, but Trek was ahead of their time with bringing monocoque carbon to MTB's, which is the way 99% are made today.
  3. Turner Burner in 1993 - Full suspension that actually worked well with a quality frame that didn't turn into a wet noodle after 3mo. A good full suspension bike before we even had decent forks of shocks. I wish Dave was still making bikes today.

don

1. Cannondale F-Frames - Like said previously, brought high-quality aluminum and light weight to the market.
  2. Trek OCLV - Yes, the early ones broke a lot, but Trek was ahead of their time with bringing monocoque carbon to MTB's, which is the way 99% are made today.
  3. Turner Burner in 1993 - Full suspension that actually worked well with a quality frame that didn't turn into a wet noodle after 3mo. A good full suspension bike before we even had decent forks of shocks. I wish Dave was still making bikes today.
I had a couple Turner's mid 2000's and the MTBR/Turner board was a great read with Dave posting up time to time.

Great points on the C-Dale and Trek carbon. They both brought new materials to MTN biking that are standards today. I remember seeing an early OCLV and thinking I would never ride a "plastic" bike!

Speaking of Cannondale I forgot about their first "Beast of the East" - the 24/26" one with the high BB. An important bike as it tried different size wheels and quicker geometry to fit east coast roots/rocks trails where as most of the frames of the time had West Coast specific geometry.

Another mention and I can only faintly remember the bike (as I was looking at one when I bought my Kona in '94). But if IIRC, Diamond Back had a 650B wheeled bike that had nice looking lines and was promoting the bigger wheels as better for off road use. I cannot remember the model but it's the first 27.5 I knew of in a production bike.

don

1. Maybe another choice is the 1995 Trek Y 22 and cost $1,799 new. Hey it’s Trek, not too boutique’y 😄
2. Agee on the Kona, love the design and color.
3. Turner DW link bikes were a game changer in the industry as they climbed like hardtails. I suspect many of the competitors were inspired by the design.
Think it’s time to take my vintage mountain bike for a spin...

I absolutely hated those Y bikes at the time! I remember thinking you couldn't slam a seat down and you would still have to use your legs as suspension with the URT. But looking back the carbon full suspension design was revolutionary and is the basis for bikes today. And no matter what I thought a lot of people bought and rode them!

GreenMachine

Not having a Trek on that top three list invalidates in my opinion. Whether you’re a fan of the company or not their impact on the transition from BMX to MTB is second to none.
Gary Fisher / Oclv etc ... also Klein bikes extremely innovative were Under Trek big miss

Captain Brainstorm

I had a couple Turner's mid 2000's and the MTBR/Turner board was a great read with Dave posting up time to time.
Dave still posts on that forum. He also still answers the phone when you call them. I had several good conversations with him last year, he was very candid about why they are in the situation that they are.

I absolutely hated those Y bikes at the time! I remember thinking you couldn't slam a seat down and you would still have to use your legs as suspension with the URT. But looking back the carbon full suspension design was revolutionary and is the basis for bikes today. And no matter what I thought a lot of people bought and rode them!
Saw a guy in Ringwood rocking a Y bike a couple of weeks ago. I also used to regularly see a guy on a Slingshot, and another guy on a Softride. Remember those?

one piece crank

We got a few Trek 850’s at our shop in 1983. We traversed the Walnut Brook down to the First Neshanic River in Flemington, riding bush-whack style and dropping in up to the top tube at times! We really wanted to see what we could do with them.

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 12.33.05 PM.png

The Treks came in just before the Cannondale SM-400 (24/26) in '84. Definitely not a fan of the big C.

GreenMachine

We got a few Trek 850’s at our shop in 1983. We traversed the Walnut Brook down to the First Neshanic River in Flemington, riding bush-whack style and dropping in up to the top tube at times! We really wanted to see what we could do with them.

View attachment 141080

The Treks came in just before the Cannondale SM-400 (24/26) in '84. Definitely not a fan of the big C.
Wow - you were working in a shop in 83’? Still ?

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I agree. I didn’t like the Y either, but it was revolutionary for sure. I was still banking on hardtails at that time as I hated the peddle bob on FS bikes. Glad things continue to improve...

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Dave still posts on that forum. He also still answers the phone when you call them. I had several good conversations with him last year, he was very candid about why they are in the situation that
Saw a guy in Ringwood rocking a Y bike a couple of weeks ago. I also used to regularly see a guy on a Slingshot, and another guy on a Softride. Remember those?
Same here. Dave is patient and helpful. Definitely wish he was still making mountain bikes.

don

Dave still posts on that forum. He also still answers the phone when you call them. I had several good conversations with him last year, he was very candid about why they are in the situation that they are.

That's great to hear and I should add that back to my forum read list. He always seemed like a good dude and striving for the best built bike he could make.

A Y bike out in this day and age :oops:

I totally remember Slingshot. I actually I believe that made BMX frames first (I saw a few of them when racing). I think the name came from getting out the gate better?

Softrides- another really scary design! I think the only one I liked was the Sh*tbike from BIKE magazine haha!

don

I agree. I didn’t like the Y either, but it was revolutionary for sure. I was still banking on hardtails at that time as I hated the peddle bob on FS bikes. Glad things continue to improve...

I was a steel HT only person for years (I still am if you count my DJ bike). Anyone that has been in the game for a while can totally appreciate how good modern bikes are. Non-riding friends will ask me what bike to get and I just say go to a bike shop you like and pick out the your favorite color in a size that fits you.

don

Not having a Trek on that top three list invalidates in my opinion. Whether you’re a fan of the company or not their impact on the transition from BMX to MTB is second to none.
Gary Fisher / Oclv etc ... also Klein bikes extremely innovative were Under Trek big miss

I'm confused about the transition from BMX to MTB? I always thought Trek was a road bike company. My recollection of their involvement in BMX was coming in for a few years dumping some money, making goofy looking frames and then splitting in the early 2000's but I could very well be wrong.

I also feel they bought a lot of neat mtb companies and diluted their flavor. I could be wrong but it just seemed that way to me at the time.

GreenMachine

I'm confused about the transition from BMX to MTB? I always thought Trek was a road bike company. My recollection of their involvement in BMX was coming in for a few years dumping some money, making goofy looking frames and then splitting in the early 2000's but I could very well be wrong.

I also feel they bought a lot of neat mtb companies and diluted their flavor. I could be wrong but it just seemed that way to me at the time.
I just meant bmx to mtb In general as an evolution - I don’t recall trek as a bmx brand . Bmx = redline . Gt, Diamondback,
Thruster , Kuwahara, Mongoose in my mind @ least!

serviceguy

I am biased toward pro-flex / K2, hence the still functioning K2 4000 and 6 more frames in my garage (both K2 4000 / 5000 and Pro-Flex 857/957) and VM plenty of carbon swingarm a and parallelogram forks. They haven’t been built yet because of the shocks needing being rebuilt and some repairs being needed.
BCEE728D-6AD2-4AA7-9104-7D63A67FFCB5.jpeg

Top Bottom