Clean Start

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
60 Mile Sourland Spectacular route with @Mare45 and @jklett, with south Jersey represented by Gene

Veloviewer tells me this is the longest ride I've attempted since HOH back in March of 2019.
Isn't that special, and by quite a large margin too. The next in line was Cathedral Pines at 48mi in November, then a 40mi road loop a year ago.

Had my doubts going in - but held one, very big advantage. Riding on my home court. OK, a little license with the wording, but go with it.

Casual start time of around 8:30 on a beautiful day meant no pressure to wake-up early. Slept well enough knowing the bike was prep'd to go,
and most of the necessities were laid-out and ready. Popped out of bed at 6:15. Downed some coffee, pet the cat, and kitted up. Had a decent sized
meal the night before, so just hit it with a fig bar.

Rolled into Montgomery HS parking around 8:00 - with the Sourland fund raiser being a Ride on your own schedule,
it was a very different feel than previous events. Plenty of spaces, nobody directing traffic, riders chatting and leaving in groups of 3 or 4.
No pressure to check-in or get into starting waves made for a very casual last-minute prep. The bike computer says we rolled out at 8:31.

Nerves kinda kicked in here, as I pictured the turn onto Hollow Road, and the climb to the top of Long Hill.
It isn't particularly steep or grind-it-out long, but the legs weren't feeling good with the lack of time on the bike this year.
The side effect of this was going into zombie mode and just pedaling until crossing the pipeline.
Other than pointing out the property recently purchased by Somerset County on Long Hill Road, I don't really remember any of it!
Great, 5 miles into a 60 mile ride, and I'm already out-of-it. We agreed that our pace was going to be social,
but I wasn't going to be able to talk while riding, and survive.

Of course the bomb down Long Hill was interrupted by a car pulling out in front of us. Plenty of time to slow down before running up behind them.
Make the turn onto Wertzville Road, and there is an ambulance with a couple riders and an upside down bike.
Checked in and they said they'd be ok - well that set the mood. Other than a route change in the Amwell Valley that caught me,
it was smooth sailing to our food stop around mile 26.

View attachment 138849

Just a breathtaking view of one of the many Hunterdon County farms. This one is just outside of Sergeantsville.

View attachment 138848

Crossing through Sergeantsville took our ride down along Lower Creek Road - This road should be included on any Hunterdon County ride.
Enjoying the scenery, we didn't take any pictures! Hooked up with a few other riders on the loop climbing away from the creek.
I was still being anti-social, but the scenery was bringing me out a bit. Feeling pretty good, and getting some cooperation from traffic on 523,
we were able to take the lane for a left hand turn, and got everyone through - that 30 seconds or so reminded me what a it feels like to group ride.
We still aren't going to do any type of pace line, because of C19, but the adrenaline of working 20+mph with the cars,
and the safety of multiple riders in the balance, yeah.

It kinda snapped me out of zombie mode as we worked our way back towards Ringoes. This got me rolling a bit faster than our casual pace,
but still not pressing - cause had to make it back! I knew we were doing the Linvale climb, which is short, but gets steep.
Climbing felt good, even after my legs hinted of cramping. Never happened!

We regrouped before Snydertown, and stuck together up Rileyville to Ridge. Ridge is one of my favorite roads in the area.
It is 1 mile or smooth road, with minimal grade changes. It goes by effortlessly. We climb up Lindbergh to Long Hill, and it is all downhill from there.
A nice easy pedal brings us home.

A great ride on a beautiful day with some good folks.
I'll apologize for the lack of pictures - we have a few, but no group shot, and they just aren't that interesting.
Except for Mare on her gravel bike - thank you to the organizers for putting in Dogwood Dr -
otherwise those plush tires might not have gotten their play time!

View attachment 138852

no strava link, mustve been a dream . . . 🤣

jklett

60 Mile Sourland Spectacular route with @Mare45 and @jklett, with south Jersey represented by Gene

Veloviewer tells me this is the longest ride I've attempted since HOH back in March of 2019.
Isn't that special, and by quite a large margin too. The next in line was Cathedral Pines at 48mi in November, then a 40mi road loop a year ago.

Had my doubts going in - but held one, very big advantage. Riding on my home court. OK, a little license with the wording, but go with it.

Casual start time of around 8:30 on a beautiful day meant no pressure to wake-up early. Slept well enough knowing the bike was prep'd to go,
and most of the necessities were laid-out and ready. Popped out of bed at 6:15. Downed some coffee, pet the cat, and kitted up. Had a decent sized
meal the night before, so just hit it with a fig bar.

Rolled into Montgomery HS parking around 8:00 - with the Sourland fund raiser being a Ride on your own schedule,
it was a very different feel than previous events. Plenty of spaces, nobody directing traffic, riders chatting and leaving in groups of 3 or 4.
No pressure to check-in or get into starting waves made for a very casual last-minute prep. The bike computer says we rolled out at 8:31.

Nerves kinda kicked in here, as I pictured the turn onto Hollow Road, and the climb to the top of Long Hill.
It isn't particularly steep or grind-it-out long, but the legs weren't feeling good with the lack of time on the bike this year.
The side effect of this was going into zombie mode and just pedaling until crossing the pipeline.
Other than pointing out the property recently purchased by Somerset County on Long Hill Road, I don't really remember any of it!
Great, 5 miles into a 60 mile ride, and I'm already out-of-it. We agreed that our pace was going to be social,
but I wasn't going to be able to talk while riding, and survive.

Of course the bomb down Long Hill was interrupted by a car pulling out in front of us. Plenty of time to slow down before running up behind them.
Make the turn onto Wertzville Road, and there is an ambulance with a couple riders and an upside down bike.
Checked in and they said they'd be ok - well that set the mood. Other than a route change in the Amwell Valley that caught me,
it was smooth sailing to our food stop around mile 26.

View attachment 138849

Just a breathtaking view of one of the many Hunterdon County farms. This one is just outside of Sergeantsville.

View attachment 138848

Crossing through Sergeantsville took our ride down along Lower Creek Road - This road should be included on any Hunterdon County ride.
Enjoying the scenery, we didn't take any pictures! Hooked up with a few other riders on the loop climbing away from the creek.
I was still being anti-social, but the scenery was bringing me out a bit. Feeling pretty good, and getting some cooperation from traffic on 523,
we were able to take the lane for a left hand turn, and got everyone through - that 30 seconds or so reminded me what a it feels like to group ride.
We still aren't going to do any type of pace line, because of C19, but the adrenaline of working 20+mph with the cars,
and the safety of multiple riders in the balance, yeah.

It kinda snapped me out of zombie mode as we worked our way back towards Ringoes. This got me rolling a bit faster than our casual pace,
but still not pressing - cause had to make it back! I knew we were doing the Linvale climb, which is short, but gets steep.
Climbing felt good, even after my legs hinted of cramping. Never happened!

We regrouped before Snydertown, and stuck together up Rileyville to Ridge. Ridge is one of my favorite roads in the area.
It is 1 mile or smooth road, with minimal grade changes. It goes by effortlessly. We climb up Lindbergh to Long Hill, and it is all downhill from there.
A nice easy pedal brings us home.

A great ride on a beautiful day with some good folks.
I'll apologize for the lack of pictures - we have a few, but no group shot, and they just aren't that interesting.
Except for Mare on her gravel bike - thank you to the organizers for putting in Dogwood Dr -
otherwise those plush tires might not have gotten their play time!

View attachment 138852
Thanks for riding with me, I had a great time! They sure picked some scenic roads, I would definitely ride that loop again!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is why you couldn't show up for work today SMH :)
Guess I am the sucker, I have you on the job with tools 8:30 sharp tomorrow, if your late then you better have a coffee for the boss 😉

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
As of today I am down to 180.7lbs,

1599578603339.png

I found some of the weight you lost. +13ish since 3/2020.

Sitting in bed last night, i felt like a beached whale. I sorta rolled to get leverage over the side to get the body to raise.
That and being so stuffed full of nothing good (well the pork was good - but the potatoes and bread? beer+wine)
that i couldn't sleep. Been complaining about my roundness for a couple months now, but just not holding myself accountable
for what goes in the pie hole. That has to change.

so let's review.

1599578741914.png

Since 2012, I had been in the low 180s, down from 215ish after a shoulder injury that took me 5 years to
work my way through - maybe if i got the surgery right away, instead of waiting 3 years, it might have helped.
Early in 2017 I went back up into the 190s. That is when this happened.

In an attempt to avoid a repeat of that, and drive my weight back down into the 170s
(i ran the marathon at 173. Oct.2018), I'll be going mostly beer/alch free. Probably stick with the protein
regime - try to get my riding time up, and maybe even a little bit of free weights.
When I'm below 185, i'll add some running in, just to mix it up - good fall workout just beyond the front door!

Fire up the zwifter!

wish me luck, and def

1599579356414.png

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
View attachment 138905

Sitting in bed last night, i felt like a beached whale. I sorta rolled to get leverage over the side to get the body to raise.
That and being so stuffed full of nothing good (well the pork was good - but the potatoes and bread? beer+wine)
that i couldn't sleep. Been complaining about my roundness for a couple months now, but just not holding myself accountable

so let's review.

View attachment 138906

Since 2012, I had been in the low 180s, down from 215ish after a shoulder injury that took me 5 years to
work my way through - maybe if i got the surgery right away, instead of waiting 3 years, it might have helped.

In an attempt to avoid a repeat of that, and drive my weight back down into the 170s
(i ran the marathon at 173. Oct.2018), I'l be going mostly beer/alch free. Probably stick with the protein
regime - try to get my riding time up, and maybe even a little bit of free weights.
When I'm below 185, i'll add some running in, just to mix it up - good fall workout just beyond the front door!

Fire up the zwifter!

wish me luck, and def

View attachment 138907
Remind us again what the protein regimen is?

GTCHAMPION1

View attachment 138905

so let's review.

View attachment 138906

(i ran the marathon at 173. Oct.2018), I'l be going mostly beer/alch free. Probably stick with the protein

Fire up the zwifter!

wish me luck, and def

View attachment 138907
But you are tall and you do not look overweight unless you talking about being in a very athletic way, when I met you I thought you were in shape. I know I looked like an overcooked meatball, but I'm training just to keep up with you and @jklett next time we ride. But thanks to you I have the desire not to just ride my bike but to also be in shape again.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Remind us again what the protein regimen is?

more meats/protein, minimal carb/sugar/dairy

the morning shakes are 250 cal, 20g protein, 0 carb/fat/sugar/dairy

- i like them, and they are filling, the only exception there is zero fat greek yogurt, maybe a couple times a week. for gut health

Could do the B-fat lunch of hard boiled eggs, cheese+ham wrap, but i don't need the cheese, so we'll see there.
maybe even a good meal replacement bar.

Dinner is easy -

Speaking of @mattybfat - I should be heading up there to help him out, but i don't want to drive an hour home.
Sorry Matt.

serviceguy

View attachment 138905

so let's review.

View attachment 138906

Fire up the zwifter!

wish me luck, and def

View attachment 138907
Just buy stretchy pants and ditch the scale, that's what I've done...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
more meats/protein, minimal carb/sugar/dairy

the morning shakes are 250 cal, 20g protein, 0 carb/fat/sugar/dairy

- i like them, and they are filling, the only exception there is zero fat greek yogurt, maybe a couple times a week. for gut health

Could do the B-fat lunch of hard boiled eggs, cheese+ham wrap, but i don't need the cheese, so we'll see there.
maybe even a good meal replacement bar.

Dinner is easy -

Speaking of @mattybfat - I should be heading up there to help him out, but i don't want to drive an hour home.
Sorry Matt.
I am not authority but real food > meal replacement bar. Shakes are popular but why no fat? I thought fat = good now.

Patrick

Staff member
I am not authority but real food > meal replacement bar. Shakes are popular but why no fat? I thought fat = good now.

seems the body will go after its own fat stores if there isn't enough coming in.
i've had good results with this in the past.

i'd prefer food over a bar, just a convenience thing.

Mare

Excellent recap, however I don't remember 90% of that. Haha! I felt a little more nervous than @Patrick so I think I was just trying to make it through. I didn't do a real ride since June. July was "an hour a day" and August was whatever I felt like.

Awesome ride though and awesome crew on a beautiful day! Thanks for the tour of the Sourlands!

rick81721

Lothar
View attachment 138905

so let's review.

View attachment 138906

Fire up the zwifter!

wish me luck, and def

View attachment 138907

Looks like a graph of covid cases/day growth - you're in a second wave. Wear a mask when you have the urge to eat or drink too much! 😃

Patrick

Staff member
Sourland Spectacular Redux

My tri club posted-up that they were going to do the 60 mi spectacular loop yesterday (9/12)
Again I was hesitant, but figured I'd go get my ass kicked. 8:30 start again, since some of the group was coming down from
north Jersey (yes, some actually north of rt 80)

I roll into the HS parking lot around 8:00, with beautiful blue skies and low-60s weather.
It is going to be a top-10 weather day!

Only difference with prep from last week was adding an extra battery cause I forgot to charge up the drivetrain.

People start rolling in and readying for the ride. Around 8:35, we are start to roll out, and boom! One of the guys
looks down, and his derailleur is in his spokes! It was a strange break, the "knuckle" broke, and a piece was missing!
The bike is upright in his car, so hard to tell what happened. No pit bike, so off we go as a group of 7 at 8:45.

I feel good right out of the gate - probably because less blimp-like after 5 days of healthier eating in
reasonable quantities, and only having 1 beer and a glass of wine during the week.
We quickly crest Long Hill, and descend into the Amwell valley.
We are loosely drafting but not pushing the pace too much.
One of the rival local tri teams, TMB, goes by in the other direction!
TMB stands for Try My Bags, it is advertising for the founder's company!

We hit the 202 crossing (~16mi/1 hour) and I'm feeling really good!
Yard road is always fun - couple of serious turns, but can keep the speed up - good farm views!
A quick right, and we are at rt 523 heading back towards Flemington. The left onto Dogwood Dr,
which I mentioned in the last recap was chip-sealed, is coming. I'm out front and brief the group.
No traffic, so we make the left - the next thing you know my front tire is washing out, I've got it,
but i'm heading towards the stop sign! I should have just ridden out onto the grass, but no!
I want to stay on the road, and realize i'm not going to make it.
Pull the eject handle, and go for a roll in the street. It wasn't the most graceful roll, but it worked.
My thigh has some road rash, and I jammed the middle finger on my right hand.
Bike is....well the rear wheel is rubbing. Just eyeballing it something is off.
Unlock the QR, and it settles back in the drops. Whew! Back on the bike and up we go.
Scratched my match-matchy sun glasses.....

Water stop! Getting ready for the group pic
1600005601330.png

A little of the spirit left me, but still riding ok. Kept on it back through Sergeantsville, and down to Lower Creek road.
We are about 2.5 hours in, and the legs are weakening on the climbs. I'm now 1 of 2 off the back, so we are chatting.
Doug is a new rider, and this is his longest ride to date. The group easy pedals after the climb and we re-group.
The rest of the climbs go like this until we are on top of the ridge again. My legs want to cramp climbing Linvale,
but I spin through it. 9 miles to go I'm getting a bit of a second wind, so try to keep the power up on Featherbed and Ridge,
then the climb up Lindbergh to Long Hill. Where did everyone go?

Bathroom stop in Ringoes - I squashed a lantern fly.

1600005847721.png

Lori got a flat - and I got a bit to far ahead to hear them call. I was waiting to ride back with everyone at the corner,
when a few came up to let me know what happened and they might need to be picked-up - cause having trouble getting the tire off.

We push it down hill to the HS, and I'm feeling spent as we make the last turn, and bring it home.

Right on time, I get the low battery warning from my drivetrain.

Wrap it up, and drink an adult bev in a HS parking lot. #notSmart #someThingsDonnotChange
Don't mind the finger.

1600005690453.png

Got home - I quashed a lantern fly (split with spouse of course)

1600005915063.png

I have a ways to go to get back to where I was in March - but what else is there to do!
Well, riding a mountain bike sounds like an excellent option today and/or tomorrow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom