Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Ronnie B

I was over at Huber for an hour after work. I saw 1 hiker. The trails are dry. The sand at the bottom of the descents is super soft and sugary.
I thought about crossing Locust Ave Bridge and hit up Huber but like you kept it relatively short (90 mins), I always park at Rocky Point lot and hit Grand Tour first and work my way over to Claypit where I would decide to either cross the bridge and do Huber or head back and finish off with Rocky Point trail.

I've seen some new trails at Huber, I might make a point of just hitting there for once and check them out.

smw

Mid morning start yesterday and clicked over 16 miles. The ground was damp, trails all had good traction and no dust. Huber foilage is growing thick into the trail in spots. I was hooting going through the turns to minimize surprise encounters. how often does maintenance bring a brush cutter through there? Btw, is poison ivy the official plant of Huber park?

Crossed over to Hartshorne road to Laurel Ridge climb to Grand tour through to the maintenance area and then back. A bit more hike and bike traffic on the Hartshorne side but not as much as I'd expect on a weekend. Maybe temps and humidity were high enough for people to chose other activities.

Last edited:

Twillso

Just a heads up, rode Rocky Point this morning. Huge tree down right after the log jump in the beginning when entering from the lot. The go around is clear though.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Just a heads up, rode Rocky Point this morning. Huge tree down right after the log jump in the beginning when entering from the lot. The go around is clear though.
Rode it this afternoon and it was rideable. The smaller branches were cleared away. The main tree is still down but you can ride under it. Definitely want to stay alert if riding that in the downhill direction with any speed.

Twillso

Has anyone been out since the storm?
Rode Laurel Ridge and Grand tour this morning. Bunch of trees still down, especially on the south side of Grand tour. Lots of smaller debris on the trail. Lost 3 spokes and a derailleur cable to an errant branch.

AndyJ

Yep, pretty much the same on Rocky Point and across the river at Huber. Watch out for those twigs that love to lodge themselves in the wheel. At Harshorne, some of the trees already have detours forming around them; others, you'll have to hike-a-bike around/over (while watching for the pointing ivy, of couse :) )

Ronnie B

Laurel Ridge, the Water Tower Climb, and most of Grand Tour have been cleared.

I haven’t gotten any intel on Rocky Point.
I just rode RP this afternoon, it's been cleared minus a tree or two. Also rode into Huber and was pretty surprised how passable their trails were, for whatever reason I was expecting the worst there but bottom line is park crews from both parks did a great job cleaning up from the storms mess.

SmooveP

Rode Hartshorne today out of Clay Pit lot. Clay Pit connector trail requires a few dismounts, as did the rest of the park. Quite a bit of cleanup of big trees has been done. I doubt that it's been done by bikers.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
WARNING, TREE DOWN AT THE BOTTOM OF MANY LOG RUN IN HUBER.

Red dot indicates location.
Screenshot_20200819-183202~2.png

IMG_20200819_164337.jpg

I'm not sure when this came down, but it's extremely dangerous, since it's at the bottom of a downhill and around a blind curve. I almost died this afternoon, flying downhill, hitting the brakes on sand when a tree is 15' in front of you is really sketchy.

I'll talk to the park tomorrow about removing this.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll

View attachment 137450
View attachment 137451
I'm not sure when this came down, but it's extremely dangerous, since it's at the bottom of a downhill and around a blind curve. I almost died this afternoon, flying downhill, hitting the brakes on sand when a tree is 15' in front of you is really sketchy.

This is probably the fastest spot in the entire park, when descending that hill.

Glad you didn’t get ded.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's

View attachment 137450
View attachment 137451

It may have come down this morning...phones went crazy this am with tornado warnings around 10am or so...not that a tornado hit there, but we did have a violent storm for about 30 min this am...im only 5 minutes from the park...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions